Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1654 Discussions

2nd Monitor showing as Main monitor

rxph84
Beginner

Hello!

I just got my Intel Arc A750 LE today. I did proper installation by doing DDU in safe mode and installed the drivers. My only problem is that whenever I boot my computer, it shows POST on my secondary monitor which is connected to the HDMI slot and not on my main monitor connected to the Display Port. I noticed on Intel Arc Control that my 2nd monitor is shown as Display 1 even though on Windows Display settings it is shown as 2. I already tried reinstalling the drivers after doing another DDU clean in safe mode and even tried only using my main monitor at first while doing the driver reinstall. Somehow the problem persist.

I am running Windows 11 23H2 by the way. I hope someone can help me.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, rxph84.

You're experiencing an issue where your computer's POST (Power-On Self-Test) is displaying on your secondary monitor instead of the primary one, this can happen if the BIOS settings are configured to prioritize the HDMI port, or if the graphics card's firmware defaults to the HDMI output before the operating system loads and takes control of display settings. If a monitor's bandwidth or dot clock surpasses the maximum permitted levels, it might not be recognized by the Intel® graphics interface. The graphics driver automatically identifies connected displays through the Intel® Graphics Command Center and Intel® Graphics Control Panel, depending on the available bandwidth.

I would like to share with you this article/link: Troubleshooting Issues with Multiple Displays, that might help fix the issue.

You told me about your Graphics model and OS but I would like to go one step further and confirm details such as OS build# and see if there are errors logged. The SSU can collect that info that can be helpful to me.

Best Regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
rxph84
Beginner

Hi! Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, my mobo bios does not have that setting and my previous card whichbis an AMD RX570 does not have issues recognizing which monitor to use. So this must be an Intel gpu issue. Now my question is, how do i tell the Arc a750 to prioritize DP instead of HDMI during pre windows boot?

I have attached an SSU log using an older driver that the Intel phone agent told me to  install to try resolve the issue. Unfortunately it is still the same.

0 Kudos
rxph84
Beginner

Another thing I noticed is that Intel Arc software says the monitor connected via HDMI is using a DP connector.

rxph84_0-1712458884194.png

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, rxph84.

In line with the prioritization of DisplayPort (DP) over HDMI during boot, this is typically managed by the GPU firmware and BIOS settings. If your motherboard BIOS doesn't offer an option to prioritize display outputs, the GPU will default to its firmware settings. Some users have found success by connecting their primary monitor to the first DP on the GPU, as some GPUs initialize ports in a specific order.

Upon reviewing your SSU logs, I noticed that the graphics driver version you currently have is 31.0.101.5330, please be guided that we released a new and latest graphics driver 31.0.101.5382. This latest driver includes an updated version of Intel® Arc™ Control which may resolve the issue. To update, simply follow the instructions provided in the, How to Install Intel® Arc Control guide.

Best regards,
Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, rxph84.

I hope you are doing fine.
Were you able to check the previous post?
Kindly let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,
Von M.

0 Kudos
rxph84
Beginner

Hi Von,

Thank you for your response. Actually I was running the latest Intel drivers (.5382). The SSU log that I attached was from the time when the Intel Tech support guy told me to try to use an older driver to see if it resolves the issue, but it did not. I still have the issue until now that I have reinstalled the latest drivers again.

rxph84_0-1713532856231.png

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, rxph84.

Thank you for your update.

Please be guided that we have the latest graphics driver version, 31.0.101.5444. Kindly install it first and please get back to us once the issue is still the same as we will need to do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once available. 

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
rxph84
Beginner

Hi Von,

Thank you for your reply.

Here is what I did:

1. DDU the old driver installed 5444 via HDMI hoping there was a firmware update. - Nope, did not fix the issue.
2. DDU 5444 and reinstalled 5445 WHQL via HDMI hoping there is another firmware update. Nope, did not fix the issue.

I am attaching the latest SSU logs that I got.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, rxph84.

Thank you for providing your latest SSU logs.

Upon reviewing some details here on our end, one of our colleagues has already raised this case for further investigation and has provided a workaround. As a result, we will be closing this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos