Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1679 Discussions

ARC GPU not appearing as a second GPU in windows power manager settings (OBS/Windows

riskofrainenjoyer

Hi! I have posted here previously, but life caught up and unfortunately the thread was closed. Here is an updated ticket, with more information.

Hi! I am running a Intel ARC A380 and a Nvidia RTX 3070. I have the RTX 3070 in the first x16 slot on my motherboard, and the ARC gpu in the one below it. I am attempting to assign OBS to run on the ARC gpu, but in windows power management settings, ARC does not appear as a low power option to assign the program to. See picture attached. The arc gpu appeared properly when the nvidia gpu was disabled, but only then. I know ARC is supported, because when the NVIDIA gpu was disabled, it booted and defaulted to that GPU without issue. I am on the current windows 10 installation build 19044.2728. Please let me know if you have more questions/information. Just looking to use this gpu as a video encode and video processing gpu when doing those workloads. Thanks!

Attached is the intel support scan logs (with and without the RTX 3070 disabled) and a screenshot of the ARC GPU appearing ONLY when the 3070 is disabled in device manager.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello riskofrainenjoyer,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics  

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Do you see both cards in the device manager?

2. Have you checked with Asus to confirm if the motherboard supports hybrid graphics?

3. Did you run all Windows updates?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
riskofrainenjoyer

Yes, both devices are appearing in device manager. The motherboard does have the bandwith to support dual gpu, and when running a handbrake test, the AV1 encoding option appeared, and I used it. It used the arc gpu properly with the Nvidia gpu enabled as well. Windows is fully up to date.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello riskofrainenjoyer, 

Before we continue further I would like to confirm if your issue is only that both cards do not appear in the Windows power management settings. Is the Arc graphics card having any other issues?

Can you please provide the Intel® Graphics Drivers?: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
riskofrainenjoyer

No, the issue is the ARC GPU does not appear in windows. The nvidia gpu is fine. The issue is the arc gpu does not appear as an option with both enabled. I am currently using 31.0.101.4255 version. I just updated, didn't fix it. The last couple drivers I tried to roll back to had no change as well.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello riskofrainenjoyer, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello riskofrainenjoyer, 

Before we continue further with the investigation, can you confirm the behavior when you tried just the Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics

one, then when connecting the Nvidia without removing the Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics.

I will appreciate it if you can provide more details.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
riskofrainenjoyer

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. When the Nvidia GPU is disabled as a device, so that only the arc gpu is utilized, OBS has no issue grabbing those AV1 settings, and windows has no issue seeing the arc GPU as a device to pick between power saving and performance modes. Both options are labeled as the Arc card of course, but it appears. After reenabling (connecting) the Nvidia gpu, the Arc gpu disappears from those power management app settings, to be replaced by the Nvidia GPU, for both power saving and performance options. If that's not quite what you're looking for, feel free to provide specific instructions or details.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello riskofrainenjoyer,

Thanks for the information provided. I will continue with the investigation and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello riskofrainenjoyer, 

Before we continue further, I would like you to test the Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics in the first x16 slot on the motherboard and the RTX 3070 in the second slot.

Please let me know if the issue persists. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
riskofrainenjoyer

Ok. I will get back to you later tonight or tomorrow, and try that. 

riskofrainenjoyer

Alright, after switching the GPUs around, OBS worked fine with the ARC gpu, and I was prompted to use AV1 encoding etc. The windows graphics manager gave me only the ARC gpu, and everything worked smoothly. Problem still stands that id like to play and render games on the nvidia card, while encoding with the arc.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello riskofrainenjoyer, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Just to double-check, now the Windows power management settings only see the Arc GPU and not the Nvidia GPU when both are connected, is that correct?

Have you checked with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm that this behavior is normal? Or/and, did you check with Microsoft to confirm if the Windows power management settings only use the card installed in teh first slot?

I will be waiting for your confirmation.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
riskofrainenjoyer

I'm not sure on either. When I asked for support in the OBS community, they gave me examples of two distinctly different cards appearing in those power management settings. I will look into the windows side of things.

0 Kudos
riskofrainenjoyer

To answer your question though, yes. The arc GPU appeared as both options even as the Nvidia card was connected in the second slot.

0 Kudos
riskofrainenjoyer

Not sure what changed in the last few days, but it has fixed itself now. Just checked OBS and I have all the settings I am supposed to have. Not sure what updated, but thanks for all the support!

BobFolowski
Beginner

Just wanted to check, does it show two separate graphics cards in your Windows Graphics Settings now or was it just OBS that fixed itself?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello riskofrainenjoyer, 

Thanks for your confirmation. I am glad to know that the issue was fixed and know you can see all the options wanted in the app.

I will proceed to close this thread, however, you can open a new one in case you need further support or if you face any issues with our products.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos