Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1703 Discussions

Arc 380 - OBS Terrible FPS Just opening the program.

TheSunnyMachine

I just received an Arc a380 to put into my stream PC, replacing my GTX 1080 3GB.  

OBS without doing any thing cannot even handle 1080p 60 fps, no encoding.  It's dropping frames and barely getting to 30 fps.

I have resizable bar enabled, and am on the latest version of OBS.  In order to just get a normal stable preview in OBS I have to run both my 1080 and the a380 card at the same time.  

Is there any way to fix this?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
SHYBORG
Novice

Hi! I stream using my A770. I'm not sure about the difference in capabilities between the A770 and A380, but I also had trouble streaming beyond what looked like 30fps. However, I found that changing my capture method from Game Capture to Screen Capture resolved that problem. Of course, this means your stream will see everything on the display you choose. So, you may have to modify your setup for how you stream. Maybe use more than one screen? But, it's working great now. Full 1080p 60FPS on Twitch and looks great at 8Mbps.

Also be sure to have QuickSync selected for your video encoder. This will be sure to use your Intel hardware. I've attached a screenshot of my current settings. You can see examples of my stream at https://www.twitch.tv/shyb0rg. Sorry, unavoidable self-plug to let you see some examples. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
TheSunnyMachine
I appreciate the thought here, but this issue has nothing to do with my capture method.

I tried a blank scene and couldn't get more than 28fps.

The encoder was dropping frames just from OBS being open.

It's got to be the directx11 render of the preview.

With the GTX 1060 as my primary card I can easily get a stable 60fps and still use the a380 to encode multiple streams.
0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine, 

Thank you for posting in our communities.

We have our new release of graphics drivers; please try it and check if they will enhance your system's performance.

And if the issue still persists, please generate an SSU report to help me further analyze important details on your system, such as the OS build number, graphics driver version, errors logged in the system, etc. To generate the SSU report, please refer to the article How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows*. Please send us the generated SSU.txt file.

By the way, may we know if OBS is the only app that is having an issue with your system? And does the issue occur the first time that you use OBS? This is for isolating the issue.

And also what is the brand and model of your power supply? so we can check if your PSU meets the Arc graphics requirements. 

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TheSunnyMachine

Ok, I have updated both the drivers and my motherboard Bios to the most current versions, even the beta version.  

Now I do have stable 60 fps, but only without NDI or Teleport Encoding enabled, or if I only have one stream encoder running. 

If I use my GTX 1060 3GB as my main GPU to run OBS, but set all encoders to the Intel card, everything is smooth and works fine.  I can run NDI + Stream to 4 different RMTP encodes no issue at all.  Running just the Sparkle a380 is when I run into issues.  1 or 2 encodes + OBS (WITHOUT NDI or Teleport) work just fine, but as soon as I add NDI or a more platforms I run into issues. 

Here is JUST NDI or Teleport enabled: 

9ca619d106871ab3b2f087d9f63bfb30.gif

As you can see it's having trouble even with just adding multiple platforms.  

image (1).png

But this is actually an improvement as I never saw even close to 60 FPS previously.  

My power supply is a RaidMax 750w Gold PSU.  I was recently using it in a different system, with an 5700x + 2070... It had zero issues on that system.  So the PSU shouldn't be an issue here at all. 

This PC is dedicated for streaming.  I do not use it to game or do anything else.  It's entire job is to run OBS and streaming related programs.  

I have tested this with multiple OBS profiles and Scene Collections.  Things are fine until I turn on NDI output or Teleport Output.... Or if I stream to multiple outputs with the MultiRMPT OBS plugin.  

With the GTX 1060 as the main card in the system and the intel card as an encoder OBS runs perfectly and has no issues with my setup. 

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine, 

Thank you so much for the response.

We understand that after updating the graphics driver and the motherboard BIOS, you are now able to have a stable 60 fps. However, when using NDI or teleport encoding enabled, or if you only have one stream encoder running, you run into issues again, like having low fps. Is it correct?

To summarize, when you use NDI with OBS, teleport encoding enabled, etc., you are again having low fps.

And for additional troubleshooting steps, you have tried the GTX 1060 as your main GPU to run OBS, then set all encoders to the Intel card, and everything is smooth and works fine.

Is it possible that you try to use GTX 1060 as your main GPU, then run OBS with NDI, set all encoders, and check the result?

And by the way, please generate an SSU report to help me further analyze important details on your system, such as the OS build number, graphics driver version, errors logged in the system, etc. To generate the SSU report, please refer to the article How to Get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows. Please send us the generated SSU.txt file.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
TheSunnyMachine

Is it possible that you try to use GTX 1060 as your main GPU, then run OBS with NDI, set all encoders, and check the result?

- this is how I used to run the system and it worked just fine.  I only switched to the Intel card for the better H264 encoder and AV1. 

Here is the SSU:

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine,

We are checking in with you to see if you already have the SSU and other details that we need so we can further isolate our issue.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
TheSunnyMachine

The best thing you can do is put a sparkle a380 into a system as the main GPU.  Install OBS and the NDI plugin + the Multi-RMTP plugin.  

Test the performance of OBS with just the NDI plugin running > Click Tools > NDI Output Settings > Check Main Output. 

Open the Stats window in OBS and watch the render time jump up to 12+ms at most it should be near 6ms doing this kind of encoding. 

Next try to stream using the Multi-RMTP plugin to multiple sites with different encoders.  AV1 for youtube and Quicksync for twitch, twitter, kick, etc..

This will directly show you the issue I am having.  You should be able to replicate it.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine, 

Upon further checking, there's another troubleshooting step that we can try, which is a clean installation of Windows. For guidance, please contact Microsoft.

If the issue still persists after a clean installation on Windows, I will raise our case with our engineers since you have already provided your SSU as well as the steps to replicate the issue.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
TheSunnyMachine

I understand this a troubleshooting step that is option.  I worked in IT for years, and am feeling a bit taken advantage here.

This is not a simple thing for me to undertake at the moment.  I will be trying this since I have little hope you are even attempting to replicate and fix the issue on your end.

I will need to use a fresh NVME drive and I will have to transfer my OBS settings over to the new install, as I do not think this will resolve the issue, I will need to be able to go back to my original install of windows so I can continue to use my PC for work, especially if this doesn't resolve anything.

Before I do anything, would you suggest I try windows 11 or windows 10 for this? I don't want to install 10 just to have you suggest that next I fresh install windows 11.

I will try to do this soon, but it's already a lot of work to get my PC taken apart swapping parts for testing (it's a stream PC which means I have to keep all my USB devices installed in the correct ports, otherwise things just do not work). I will be tearing down my PC multiple times, not including swapping the GPUS around if it doesn't work, and my PC isn't on a test bench so it's going to be a lot of work just getting parts swapped, plug in everything, setting up all my soundcards, cameras, capture cards, etc... on the new OS... just to test if OBS is struggling on a clean install.   Let alone the time to revert back to my original setup if it doesn't work.

I am willing to go through this effort IF you believe it will actually solve my issue, but this is a lot to ask a general consumer to do if you haven't already tried to replicate the issue on your end with a test bench already setup for this kind of troubleshooting. 

Have you tried replicating this issue on your end and can't replicate the issue?  Are you certain that something is weird on my end and not the driver state, given the track record of the ARC drivers, I would assume the issue is with Directx 11 and not something on my end with my PC.  

Would be nice to know you are working on replicating the issue on your end before I tear apart my business computer and potentially break my setup just to "test" a theory. 

Edit:
"If the issue still persists after a clean installation on Windows, I will raise our case with our engineers since you have already provided your SSU as well as the steps to replicate the issue."

This makes it seem like you haven't tried to replicate the issue yet and are just assuming it's on my end.  You don't think it's a bit much to ask me to completely destroy my work PC setup just to test something?  What if I didn't have a fresh NMVE drive to test with and I was a normal consumer that didn't realize a fresh install would wipe out my 10+ years of OBS settings and stream overlays, and 30+ OBS scenes that would take forever to rebuild, from scratch, if even possible. 

I think you should be a little more clear when suggesting something like this to an average person that this is a very destructive troubleshooting step and I wouldn't even suggest ANYONE do this without proper guidance on backing up all their files and OBS settings... Which WILL get completely destroyed in the process.

OBS saves it's settings in the APPDATA folder structure.  Even if it didn't a 'Fresh" install of windows will delete ALL personal files on the system, including any graphic overlays and general stream software that people generally use: ie - streamerbot, deepbot, etc... This would all get wiped out on a fresh install of windows.  For me that means over 10 years worth of work would be gone in a instant if I didn't realize that.

I would like to suggest you don't haphazardly or  casually suggest people try this as a "troubleshooting" step with their personal and business computers, especially without proper warning.  If I lost important business data and I had a large enough company, this could even put me into legal trouble.

When it would take about 10 mins to test the card on a test bench with OBS + NDI installed.  That step would give you the answer.  Then report back: "We have tested on our end..."  if you can't replicate the issue, only then I would assume it's my PC... 

TheSunnyMachine

Ok, Update:  I installed a fresh version of Windows 11 - moved all my stream files, OBS, Plugins Etc... over to the new FRESH install of windows on a brand new M.2 Drive.   Installed ALL the latest drivers. 

The issue still persists. 

OBS still cannot maintain 60 FPS with NDI running. 

Screenshot 2024-04-13 162429.png

53e4482f9471fd39074e9a251c4807cf.png

Hopefully this is enough for you to pass this over the technicians so they can  figure out why the card is having issues with OBS.

ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine, 

We sincerely appreciate your thoughts and for still taking the troubleshooting steps that we have required. 

The troubleshooting steps that we have shared with you or recommended were all documented in our database.

We are truly sorry if they caused too much effort on your side. 

I will now raise the issue that we have with our engineers and post the response on this thread once it is available.

Have a fantastic day, and thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine, 

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

We have tested OBS 30.1.2 (64-bit) on a single computer with an ASRock A380 GPU on driver 101.5382 and could not reproduce the issue.

A video of the test lab is here: https://youtu.be/HZfz02MW2ks. This was on Windows 11 23H2 on a Vanilla OBS setup—no 3rd party plug-ins installed.

Since the issue is triggered by NDI or Teleport Encoding plug-ins, we recommend reporting this to each plug-in developer (if needed, you may contact us directly via the Intel Developer's Forum: https://community.intel.com/t5/Developing-Games-on-Intel/bd-p/developing-games-graphics).

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TheSunnyMachine

Ok, so there's a couple issue here.  

#1 if you think dropping below 60 FPS with only 3 display capture sources running while streaming is "not reproducing the issue" then I don't think you understand the actual issue here.  Your own video highlights that there is in fact an issue: 

fa614a9029ef517bec660ef7e17ce9ee.png

62c5ea2a99e1e3d8137e471fc6f0b06d.png

f6379d548704adcaaf66f7cab710e1a4.png
If OBS was running normally, you would NOT see this happening.  Render lag with so little going on almost 8% dropped frames in less than 3 mins of streaming is A LOT and shows that the GPU is struggling.  The fact that it cannot keep a stable 60fps locked while you just move the stats window around speaks volumes to the issue at hand. 

Maybe you are not as experienced with OBS and that's fine.  I have almost a decade of experience with OBS and running it on low end hardware.  My GTX 1060 3GB doesn't even come close to this kind of negative performance running OBS with a much more complicated scene, cameras, alerts, and even "3rd party plugins."  

#2  This brings me to the second issue:  so called "3rd party plugins" - OBS is a third party.  It's not owned by intel.  Plugins associated with OBS are in fact, just as distant from intel as OBS is.  Are you suggesting an Open Source project is supported by intel, but plugins are not?

So do we have to wait for OBS to have native teleport or NDI... What about the Multi-RMTP plugin?  All that is doing is sending the stream to multiple platforms at once and that also causes the issue (as I in great detail have explained in my previous posts). 

It sure seems like you are just trying to pass the buck here and clean your hands of the situation, when clearly in your own video you can see the performance issues.  By your own evidence you have recreated the issues and claim nothing is wrong. 

OBS should never drop below the set framerate, especially given so little is going on in your scenes here.  Even when dropping frames due to a quick spike in usages because of heavy alerts or a sudden spike in CPU usage, you should never see OBS drop below 60fps down to 59.02.  This is NOT normal behavior, and is direct evidence that the drivers are not dealing with the Directx11 drawing of OBS itself well.

Please look deeper at this issue and have a higher level tech look at this situation.  My GPU from 2016 with 3GB is out performing this a380 in just basic OBS tasks at this point.  Running a single plugin without even going live is a good test for seeing the issue.  The fact that you didn't go beyond the basic tests to see there might be an issue is absurd to me.  In reality people are going to use "3rd party plugins" and when they work just fine on 8 year old GPUs, why would anyone bother to assume something is wrong with the plugin when ONLY arc cards are suffering from this issue?

I already confirmed that OBS runs well enough without the plugins.  Why even bother testing anything if you are just going to ignore the real issue.  Putting any sort of real load on OBS is causing dropped frames.  My clients who are streamers, and myself, who bought this card are having to give up an extra PCI-e Slot to run a second GPU because of this situation, which means we have to give up a device slot that would allow for greater expansion on our streams (USB ports, Capture Cards, etc...).  Now we have to trade that expandability for stability on our streaming PCs because your GPU is less stable.  

Please don't pass the buck here, you are one of the leading companies for computing power and you are trying to break into this new market for GPUs.  Ignoring my voice here will do you more harm than good long term in this space.  If you can figure this out, many streamers would quickly invest in an arc card for their stream PC - which is not a small market, and will soon be much bigger when Twitch launches AV1 support beyond Nvidia cards.

As a streamer, who works with other streamers, I am advocating for a much larger group of people when I say this:  Please look into this issue!

ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine,

We really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. I'll let our engineers know about your feedback, and I'll get back to you or post the response on this thread once it is available.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

In our previous test, the FPS drop was likely due to the fact that the game Call of Duty: Warzone 2 was being rendered by the A380 at the same time OBS was streaming and recording; thus, this time our test consisted of only video streaming and recording.

We retested streaming and recording with Vanilla OBS + A380 on the latest driver 101.5445, and the issue cannot be observed (no FPS drops). More so, we compared the same with RTX 4060, and the results are the same.

At this point, we'd like to ask for the exact steps in order to reproduce the issue.

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine,

We are checking in with you to see if you have the time to provide us the exact steps in order to reproduce the issue so we can further investigate it.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
TheSunnyMachine
I have already posted the exact steps required and explained in great detail the issue.

1. Install OBS.
2. Install NDI plugin
3. Enable NDI

Issue: Dropped gpu render frames.

Alternate way to reproduce the issue:

1.install OBS
2. Install multi-rmtp plugin
3. Stream to twitch, YouTube, restream, Facebook, etc.. at the same time.

Issue: dropped gpu frames again.

I couldn't have already been more clear on this.
0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello TheSunnyMachine,

Thank you so much for the response, and I'm sorry if you feel that we haven't taken note of your previous response.

We just wanted to make sure that we wouldn't miss anything.

By the way, thank you for your understanding and patience.

We will now continue to investigate the issue and post the response on this thread once it is available.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos