Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1622 Discussions

Fallout 3/NV crashing after updates

rat95dyna
Beginner

Good day,

After the second to last driver update for the Arc gpu I am unable to play Fallout 3 and NV.  I just updated the driver to the latest version (.4669) and the problem persists.

Via Steam, the game loads fine but within fifteen seconds of gameplay it either totally freezes (no sound, no stuttering, just frozen screen) or dumps directly back to my Steam library page.  
If the game is frozen I HAVE to ctrl-alt-del to end the process as nothing else responds.

Any ideas?

Arc 770 ltd 16 GB

Asus B550F

32 GB RAM

AMD 5600x cpu

note: all other games, including Fallout 4 and HL games play fine.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rat95dyna

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you.

Regarding your issue, we recommend you try the following:

• Make sure that you have the latest game version installed.
  • Try the Display Driver Uninstaller. Check How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an Intel® Graphics Driver for instructions. Once you run the tool, you should install the latest driver from Intel driver, 31.0.101.4699. The DDU tool will eliminate all drivers and leftover files from previous driver versions, and we can discard that there are driver leftovers causing your issue.

If the issue remains, please share with us the following:

• When does the game crash?
  • What do you mean by crashes? Does the game freeze or close entirely?
  • Is there any error message when the game crashes? If so, provide us with a screenshot of the error message.
  • Share with us a video showing the issue.
  • Create a system report using Intel System Support Utility, to gather more information about your system:
    • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel:registered: SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
    • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save."

Also, it is important to mention that we prefer to have one issue per thread. So we invite you to open another thread to report one of your issues to keep the thread organized and troubleshoot the issue more efficiently.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
rat95dyna
Beginner

Thank you for the response.

I’ve updated the driver as requested but the issue remains for Fallout 3.  I can start the game via steam just fine, ie cinematics, loading pages, title page, menus, etc.  but within 15 seconds of loading the actual gameplay it returns to my Steam library page, no delay, just one moment I’m in the game and the next, I’m at the Steam library.

There are no error messages or ANY indication of something gone wrong, the crash is instantaneous.  
Fallout 3 isn’t a new game by any means so it’s as updated as possible.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rat95dyna,

We appreciate the inforamtion you provided. Nevertheless, we noticed that there is some information missing in your previous post that will help us further investigate your problem.

We have the step-by-step to reproduce the issue, but we would like to have a video showing the issue to properly reproduce the problem in case we need to. We also want to confirm that your system is up to date, BIOS, Operating System, Drivers, and even gathered more system details recorded on an Intel System Support Utility report.

We want to let you know that we will continue to only support the Fallout 3 game. If you need additional support for the Fallout New Vegas game, you should open an individual thread for this game. As mentioned, we recommend you open a thread per issue to keep the threads organized and help us focus on one issue at a time to better troubleshoot it.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
rat95dyna
Beginner

Yes, all drivers are updated and I’m on the latest BIOS from ASUS.  Windows 11 is fully updated.

In regards to a video of the incident, there’s nothing to capture, it just goes from the game to the Steam library page instantly, no hesitation, flickering, black screen, etc.

Again, nothing has changed hardware-wise throughout this problem.  The ONLY change was the driver update to my ARC770 card which had played Fallout 3 just fine prior to said update.  It seems this isn’t an unknown issue amongst ARC owners as there are numerous posts elsewhere describing a workaround to get Fallout 3 working with this card.

I appreciate how difficult it is to work on an issue with only secondhand information so if you want to close this thread I fully understand.  I do though appreciate all your input.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rat95dyna,

We wanted to have a video to properly replicate the issue in case it is necessary and check further details of your system with the Intel SSU report. However, we understand that you prefer not to share them. Even though the information would've helped us a lot, we will research this problem internally. We will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rat95dyna,

We appreciate your patience. After reviewing this issue internally, we want to let you know that the best course of action is to contact Bethesda to report this issue to the game developers.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rat95dyna,

As we have not received a response in some time, we will close this thread now. Please note that you should contact Bethesda to report this issue to the game developers.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Yea, I have this same problem... 

Fallout New Vegas crashes to Desktop immediately upon loading.

Its definitely an issue with Bethesda, because as we've seen with Starfield... Bethesda does not support Intel GPU's and has been telling Starfield players that the Intel ARC A770 does not meet their "minimum requirements" and to get a better GPU.

I consider it a miracle that Fo4, Fo76; and Skyrim SE, actually still work... they're the ONLY Bethesda games, that I've been able to run on the ARC A770... and mind they run, but performance isn't the best.

0 Kudos
rat95dyna
Beginner

After some tinkering, and a lot of forums, I changed some of the settings in FNV and FO3 and they helped.
I decreased AA, distance view, distance resolution, water textures, etc until things finally stayed running.  
It’s a shame we cannot take advantage of the ARC great specs for these older games but at least for now I can get them to run.

I’m considering switching to a 3060ti for the convenience of established stability but haven’t quite given up on my ARC.  With the constant updates it seems intel is doing its best at making sure we have a great product but so far they just can’t compete with the more popular brands of gpu’s who’ve had lots of time to tweak things.

Fingers crossed that game devs optimize their products for the ARC in the future.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

@rat95dyna wrote:

I’m considering switching to a 3060ti for the convenience of established stability but haven’t quite given up on my ARC.  With the constant updates it seems intel is doing its best at making sure we have a great product but so far they just can’t compete with the more popular brands of gpu’s who’ve had lots of time to tweak things.

I'm kinda in the same boat...

I don't want to give up on my ARC; the performance I get on the games it works with, is pretty amazing.   

But at the same time, its only working with maybe half my games, while most of my older games its not working at all... and I'm tired of waiting 4 - 5 months on driver fixes, like we did for Elite Dangerous... Intel has a lot of work to do, but it has at least, proven itself with the ARC.   But it could take years of additional driver development, to get it working with every single older game out there, that the other GPU's still work with... even some of the newer games.   

I haven't even bought Starfield yet cause I don't wanna waste the money on a game that maybe, might work.. So been thinking about putting my AMD RX580 back in, and possibly even selling the ARC off on ebay, then putting the money into something newer, like  a Radeon RX 6800 or the RX 7700... which I think would pair up real well with my new Ryzen CPU...

0 Kudos