Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1654 Discussions

Intel ARC A770 coil whine / water cooling

Zoltán
New Contributor I

Dear Intel,

Here is my complete configuration: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GlFxIpayBNK8FPOGMhgZaHsocx2I0AAjlsQVO9qrDzc/edit

I have an Intel Arc A770 16GB LE video card. My CPU is water-cooled, but today I decided to water-cool my GPU as well.

Currently, I have disassembled the GPU, and I can see the raw PCB. This GPU has some coil whine, but I know a few solutions, such as: (this is not always working)

1. Undervolt the GPU.
  2. Turn on V-Sync.
  3. Limit the FPS to 60.
  4. Limit the power

However, I am seeking a permanent solution. My problem is that I don't know which inductors are causing the most coil whine or what is the most effective ways to dampen the vibration. I have included a picture. My theory is that the red ones are causing the majority of the coil whine, especially the two near the power connector. My plan is as follows:

1. Apply RTV low viscosity silicone to the inductors (all). Like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004906040124.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.290.21ef1802T9JEa8
  2. The inductors are SMD type. Perhaps I can attempt to grind the top of the inductor and then apply the silicone. I have ordered some sample inductors on the internet where I can practice. However, this is VERY risky, and I am hesitant to proceed with this method. Also I can't order the exact same type because I don't have a company and they will don't sell it to me. Do you guys know a store where can I buy a few ones? Currently, I'm trying to find in the internet a broken A770 card so I can get a close look at the inductors.
  3. Add ferrite beads to the PCI-E power cable???
  4. Put the PCB into a vacuum chamber (I created one) so that the silicone can potentially penetrate the inductor. However, I am unsure whether the bottom of the inductor is open or not....
  5. Solder out the inductors and replace it with a quality ones. However, I can't download the datasheet for the current ones, so I don't know which inductors I can replace them with.
  6. Also put thermal pads on top of the inductors so they will be attached to the GPU water-cooling block and reduce the vibrations.

Additionally, I have a suggestion for the engineers: PLEASE ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF COIL WHINE! Gamers have been dealing with this problem for 8-10 years, and manufacturers have not taken adequate action.

Also, I had problems with disassembling the video card. The design is not so user-friendly. Some of the Torx screws were completely stuck, and I had a horrible experience removing them.

Before I apply the silicone, I would appreciate your thoughts on my plan. (Hopefully, from an electronic engineer)

Sincerely,
Zoltán

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Zoltán,

Thank you for patiently waiting .Upon coordinating with our team, I want to let you know that as per company policy and per warranty terms and conditions Intel Customer Support does not provide help in altering, disassembling or modifying the product in any shape or form, doing so will void the GPU's warranty.

To solve the issue with the coil whine, we highly recommend reading the article: Sound (Coil Whine) coming from the Intel® Arc™ Graphics card

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Zoltán, 

Thank you for posting in the communities and I would like to apologize for the delay in my response . For now I will proceed in coordinating this with our team for further checking. I will make sure to update this thread as soon as possible.  Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Zoltán
New Contributor I
Hello Ramyer M.!

No problem, I'm still trying to delve into this problem. I found a few things:

#1:
The silicone has very high viscosity. It probably can't penetrate into the inductors. Instead of this, I'm trying to find a low-viscosity Cyanoacrylate super glue like "Protac 4305."

Here are the parameters of the glue: https://www.novachem.ie/uploads/Protac_Cyanoacrylates.pdf

Parameters:

• Low viscosity, fast curing, bonds plastic, rubber, metals, and other common substrates. Relies less on surface moisture for curing speed.
  • Modified Ethyl
  • Viscosity: 2-5 cPs

#2:
If I grind the top of the inductor, it may change the inductor characteristics... But I still need validation from an electrical engineer.

Best regards,
Zoltán
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Zoltán,

Thank you for sharing this information. From the details you shared, It is best if I coordinate your concern with our team. Before I do so, would you please let us know if you are using an Intel-branded model or one provided by an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)? If it is provided by an OEM, please specify which one. This detail will help us with your case.
I will be waiting for your reply.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Zoltán
New Contributor I

Hello Ramyer M.!

My card is: "Intel ARC A770 16GB Limited Edition". It's from the original manufacturer so it's not OEM.

Best regards,
Zoltán

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Zoltán,

Thank you for confirming. I will now proceed in coordinating this with our team. I promise to get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Zoltán,

Thank you for patiently waiting .Upon coordinating with our team, I want to let you know that as per company policy and per warranty terms and conditions Intel Customer Support does not provide help in altering, disassembling or modifying the product in any shape or form, doing so will void the GPU's warranty.

To solve the issue with the coil whine, we highly recommend reading the article: Sound (Coil Whine) coming from the Intel® Arc™ Graphics card

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Zoltán,

I am just checking in if you have further questions, feel free to let us know and we will be there to assist you. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Zoltán
New Contributor I

Hello Ramyer M.!

I'm very disappointed by the response from the Intel engineers/your response. I KNOW THAT I WILL VOID THE WARRANTY IF I INSTALL A GPU WATER COOLING KIT... My question was not about this...

But... No problem, I solved the problem myself and I'm going to share my experience with others on this webpage: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-to-quickly-easily-fix-coil-whine-coil-choke-noise.294015/page-35

So the "Protac 4305" super glue worked fine. It has low viscosity and is able to penetrate/hold the inductors. The high-pitched coil whine has disappeared, but the rattling coil whine sound is still present, albeit reduced by around 50%. If I'm hearing it correctly, most of the sound is caused by the two inductors in the power line (top right corner).

Oh, and the GPU temperature in FurMark2 x64 doesn't go above 42 degrees Celsius.

I think we can close this thread, but I'm very disappointed that it took over a month for the Intel team to respond with "You will void the warranty if you bla bla bla"...

For the next generation of GPUs like Celestia/Druid, I hope the electronic engineering team will solve this problem. If the GPU has a 10% higher price because of the quality inductors, I think most gamers will still be happy. Otherwise, the team should listen to an 8-hour non-stop coil whine video on YouTube every day while they work until they solve this problem.

Best regards,
Zoltán

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Zoltán,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with the response you received. It's commendable that you've found a solution to the coil whine issue and are willing to share your findings with the community. Your proactive approach and feedback are valuable, and it's clear that you've put considerable effort into addressing the problem.

Your suggestion regarding the use of higher-quality inductors, even at a potential cost increase, is an interesting perspective that highlights the importance of product quality and user experience. It's feedback like yours that can drive improvements in future product designs and I'll share this with our engineers.

We will proceed in closing this thread now, but rest assured your feedback is valuable to us, and we assure you that it will be taken into consideration. We share your goal of continuously improving our products and services.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Zoltán
New Contributor I

Hello Ramyer M.!

Here is a full TODO list for the engineers/message to the manager:

1: Don't use duct tape on your GPUs if it's not necessary.

2: Please use fewer screws, or at least use screws of the same length. Maintaining the GPUs is horrible.

Reference video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N371iMe_nfA

3: We can try using PTM7950 on the GPU instead of thermal paste. AMD has realized this, and in the next GPUs, they will use it.

Reference video for PTM7950:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BhKx0iQ4K8

Reference video with the AMD GPU (starts at 3:06):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8GNE0i49Zc&t=186s

Advantages: almost same performance as a liquid metal, never dry out, ultra durable on long terms.

Note: Be careful because it is hard to open a card if you can't rotate it horizontally or heat can't access if we use PTM7950.

4: Don't use silicon-based thermal pads on the VRAM/VRM's. In the long term, they will harden, which can cause a drop in performance.

We can use materials like this:
https://shop.alphacool.com/en/shop/thermal-conductant/thermal-pads/13013-alphacool-rise-ultra-soft-thermal-pad-7w/mk-50x50x3mm

5: Don't use any USB/RGBpx or any other stuff for lighting. Use the standard ARGB connector. We want to avoid any adapters or the use of other programs to control the lighting like the Intel Arc RGB controller.

With the new GPU waterblock, it has an ARGB connector. I use the ASUS Armoury Crate program, and I can control everything from there. Please do the same and solder to the PCB an ARGB connector!

6: Please add a default Intel profile to the BIOS. Just like you did with the processors (13th/14th gen i9/ out of video memory error), you should add a profile for the GPUs as well. It should enable Resizable BAR and ASPM L1 to gain maximum performance and decrease idle power consumption.

7: Please consider the coil whine problem, as we discussed. IT IS A HUGE PROBLEM!!! You can create a good video card, but it's such a turn-off when this problem is present. As you can see they will not recommend a card if the coil whine is terrible.

Reference NVIDIA video (13:30):
https://youtu.be/Z8xhhFfqDrc?si=FYCUf3xgUPXnMlBf&t=810

8: Intel can release a new "OC" or "Extreme" or other labeled card. For example, "Intel Celestial C980 Extreme", which has a higher price (10-20%), but it has quality materials (or just use this as a standard/no renaming required). Gamers will be grateful!!!

Bonus:
See my fully water cooled full Intel machine as in the picture (I only need to do a little cable managment).

Ty for your support and have a great day! : )

Best regards,
Zoltán

0 Kudos