Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1654 Discussions

Intel NUC x15 LAPAC71G i7-12700H Arc A550M laptop normal CPU temp range?

puffy
Beginner

Hi,

What are the normal CPU temperatures for Intel NUC x15 LAPAC71G i7-12700H laptop with Intel Arc A550M GPU?

On idle, I'm seeing 55-60 degrees Celsius.

Light browsing plus watching a YouTube video: 61 - 70 degrees Celsius.

The above temps are with a cooling pad.

I've tried a flat surface too on granite. Which generally is cooler at first but a couple degrees higher after some use so I opted to leave the laptop on the cooling pad.

My room temperature is 20 degrees Celsius (68 degrees F)

The laptop is plugged in with power.

Steps I've taken:

- Reinstalled Windows 11

- Disabled passive cooling via the Intel software

- Tried both cooling pad and flat granite surface as mentioned above

- Also tried to enable performance mode with the Intel software leaving it idle, the temps did reach down to 49 degrees Celsius but that is without doing anything on the laptop

- Installed a different Unix like OS, same temperature range while performing same tasks.

Are these normal temps?

Question on the thermal paste that was applied. Was it traditional thermal paste or liquid metal?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
그래요ITech
New Contributor I

Hello there puffy...

The temperatures you're observing for your Intel NUC x15 LAPAC71G with an i7-12700H processor and Intel Arc A550M GPU seem to be within a normal range for light usage and idle conditions. Typically, CPUs can safely operate up to around 80-100 degrees Celsius under load, and GPUs often have similar thresholds. The idle temperatures of 55-60 degrees Celsius and 61-70 degrees Celsius during light browsing and video watching are generally acceptable, especially considering the ambient room temperature of 20 degrees Celsius.

Regarding the thermal interface material used between the CPU and its heatsink, most laptops use traditional thermal paste due to its ease of application and safety. Liquid metal is more effective at transferring heat but also carries a risk of electrical conductivity and potential damage if not applied correctly. It's less common in pre-built systems like laptops due to these risks and is typically used by enthusiasts in custom builds. For your Intel NUC, it is likely that traditional thermal paste was used, but you can refer to the product specifications.

If you're concerned about the temperatures or if you experience thermal throttling during heavy tasks, you might consider checking if there's an updated BIOS version that could improve thermal management.

Cheers,

Max

0 Kudos
puffy
Beginner

Hi Max,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I updated the BIOS. I forgot to mention that.

I sure hope its the normal paste in case I find myself applying it...which I don't really want to do considering it is a new laptop.

Was hoping to see anyone else with the same laptop report their temperatures to see if there is a delta between mine and other x15s with similar setup.

0 Kudos
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I
hello puffy...

well... It's a wise move to update the BIOS, as it can enhance thermal management. Typically, Intel opt for standard thermal paste for its dependability and straightforward application process. Liquid metal is not as commonly used in factory-assembled laptops due to its higher conductivity and the risks associated with incorrect application.

Comparing your laptop's temperatures with those reported by other users can be beneficial to confirm if your system is operating within a normal temperature range. The temperatures you're observing align with those reported by others with similar hardware configurations. High-performance laptops tend to run warmer, so your temperatures seem to be within the expected range.

Regards,
Harry
0 Kudos