Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1537 Discussions

New Arc Control bug

Suzie1818
New Contributor I

After the latest WHQL driver (4091) is installed, the bundled Arc Control software is also updated to version 1.64.4583.3.

I found this new Arc Control acquired two new bugs:

1. In the main window/overlay, under the Performance tab, items in the Live Performance Monitoring page and the Performance Graphs page are no longer configurable. No matter which you check to be shown or to be hidden, all items are always shown regardlessly.

Fortunately, the performance monitoring overlay (alt-o) is not affected and works correctly.

2. The (hidden) Fan Control functionality is broken. Apparently this feature has been looked after by the dev team because I can see the configurable range for the fan speed has been changed. However, its response has become abnormal once you make some change to the fan curve and then click on the "Apply" button. It used to be working fine with previous version(s) of Arc Control.

Also, if you want to stop using the manual fan curve funtion and you select the option back to "Automatic", the "Apply" button is now greyed out and cannot be pressed. This makes the hidden feature in question potentially more dangerous than before. It used to be quite safe because at any time you could just select the "Automatic" option and then press "Apply" so that the fans are reset to the factory default way of operation.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Hugo_Intel

Hello Suzie1818

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues when trying to use the Intel® Arc™ Control Center.

In the release notes for driver version 30.0.101.4091, there are 2 known issues that resemble the ones you describe, please let me know if they might be the same or not:

• The Live Performance Monitoring page may not apply the desired removal of some performance metric tiles. 
  • Modifying performance sliders may fail to apply back to their default values. A workaround is to use the "Reset to Defaults" button. 

In case the issues are not the same, please let us know the following information:

• I see you mention that the fan control function becomes abnormal once you make a change. Could you please elaborate on what exactly the abnormal behavior is, besides the apply button going grayed out when trying to go back to automatic?
  • Please share with us a short video showing these two issues that you mention.
  • Also, please try doing a clean installation of the driver version 30.0.101.4091.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

@Hugo_Intel  wrote:

• I see you mention that the fan control function becomes abnormal once you make a change. Could you please elaborate on what exactly the abnormal behavior is, besides the apply button going grayed out when trying to go back to automatic?
  • Please share with us a short video showing these two issues that you mention.
  • Also, please try doing a clean installation of the driver version 30.0.101.4091.

Once you set the fan curve to let the fans spin higher than the 50% mark, the fan speed seemed to revert to the default "Automatic" state. And after that, the fans just wouldn't respond to any manual fan curve anymore even if you made some change and clicked on the "Apply" button. The only way of making the manual fan curve function back online was to reboot the system.

*Question and suggestion: why did you remove the range from 0% to 29%? 0% is for fan-stop that a lot of people would like to use.

If you are afraid that someone would try to set a 0% flat all the way up to 100°C, you should learn from other similar apps and see how they deal with it. Simple, just make the last node locked at 100%, and then no matter what the second last node's value is, say even 0%, the last segment of the fan curve will ensure the fan speeds up very fast. The biggest problem is that the nodes in your fan curve cannot shift horizontally and always stay at fixed temperature point, which I have already mentioned in another thread.  

**I had already done a "even cleaner" installation with DDU before you suggested because this 4091 driver update was so buggy that it caused a lot of troubles when I just directly installed it "dirty" at first. It literally forced me to use DDU.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel

Hello Suzie1818

Thank you for clarification on this issue. We would like to further research this issue as well as the 0 to 29 range that you mentioned to be disabled from ARC Control as such we would like to ask for the following information:

1.-Create a log file with Intel® System Support Utility and attach it.

2.-If possible, please share a short video or screenshots that show the first issue of the fan speed reverting back to automatic when setting the fan curve to spin higher than the 50% mark.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

1. As attached.

2. Not possible. I have uninstalled the latest version of Arc Control and installed the previous version instead. It would be too troublesome if I install the problematic version again and after merely a video recording I have to uninstall it and replace it with the previous version again. You can just try to reproduce the problem as I described above. It is intel's responsibility, not mine because it is intel that released faulty software in the first place.

By the way, intel does not pay us customers any fee for our time reporting these issues. We are literally volunteering for intel doing Quality Assurance jobs without getting paid. Intel saves money thanks to our deeds. I don't think intel has the position to ask for more. Why doesn't intel set higher self-demanding standard?

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel

Hello Suzie1818

Thank you for your feedback. In regards to the fan functionality, we are working to implement the Fan Control option in Arc Control, and should be enabled soon. Yet we can't say exactly when as this is still a work in progress, actually some users have found ways to unlock the feature already, however, it is not recommended to use it.

In regards to the other issue you mention, in the original post:

In the main window/overlay, under the Performance tab, items in the Live Performance Monitoring page and the Performance Graphs page are no longer configurable. No matter which you check to be shown or to be hidden, all items are always shown regardlessly.

Could you please provide more details and if possible screenshots of the options that are not configurable? Or does this happen with all of them?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

As you have mentioned earlier, this has been listed in the known issues in the release note:

@Hugo_Intel  wrote:

• The Live Performance Monitoring page may not apply the desired removal of some performance metric tiles. 

All of them, I mean none of them can be removed.

I don't understand why you guys keep asking users these simple questions. Why don't you guys just try and see for yourselves. It only takes you serveral minutes at most. It is not a game specific issue but only a general user interface issue. You don't have to waste time installing a certain game or lauching a certain app. Just press Alt-I and you can see it, okay? Especially condiering it has already been listed in the known issues in the release note by your dev team, why don't you just ask them?

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel

Hello Suzie1818

I appreciate all the feedback and details that you have provided on this thread, We asked for more details on the previous issue since there was no confirmation if it was the same from the release notes. Now that you have confirmed the issues are the same, please look forward to upcoming driver updates since they should have these behaviors fixed as we have been able to reproduce the problems and confirmed them.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel

Hello Suzie1818

I hope you are doing fine.   

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you have further questions.  

Best regards,   

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

@Hugo_Intel wrote:

Let us know if you have further questions.  

No, thanks.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel

Hello Suzie1818

We're glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos