Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1631 Discussions

Request for update on issue with Elite Dangerous crashing on Startup

Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Good evening!

On 17th April I added the following post:-

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/Elite-Dangerous-Crashes-on-startup-using-latest-driver-31-0-101/td-p/1477725

There were several other people who contributed in the discussion reporting the same experience.

I installed the latest driver today (31.0.101.4499) and found that the game still crashes on startup at the planet generation stage on startup, so no improvement so far.

I note that the game developer has indicated a problem with more recent intel drivers (Elite Dangerous Update 15 Release Notes - Elite Dangerous: Odyssey) in the known issues section.

I wanted to ask if this is on the intel driver developer radar; disappointingly I don't see any mention of this in the known issues section of the driver release notes, and obviously we've had this issue out there for almost 2 months now.

I understand that a key part of driver development at the moment is a general improvement of DX11 games, of which Elite is one, and would hate to not have my game work with these improvements going forwards.

Meanwhile, back to driver version 31.0.101.4257 for me.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve_NB

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communites. I am sorry you are still experiencing crashes on the Elute Dangerous game.

This issue has been assigned to our driver dev team and they are currently working on it. Allow me to check if there is any update in regards to the issue and I will post back once I have the information for you.

Best regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

I am waiting for an update on this as well... 

I can't keep jumping back and forth between an old Driver (31.0.101.4257) just for 1 game.

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Hi Hugo,

many thanks for that.

It's frustrating trying new driver after new driver with no fix and no feedback.

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
exc0mmunicated
New Contributor I

Hello Steve 

Im complete done with Intel.

The support was kidding me 2 times over 2 months.

I've already sold everything. CPU, Mainboard and yes also the A770.

I wish you, Steve all the best and hope Intel will seriously find a way for those bugs with ED.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone, @Steve_NB

We totally understand your frustration and the importance of this game to the users. Upon checking with our team and there are no updates we can share at the moment but please know that our driver debug team is actively working on this issue to come up with a resolution, however, at the moment there is no estimated time for the fix to be released.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
bladan
Novice

4502 tried right now... still no news

Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Thank you Bladan for the update on the latest driver - I don't need to try it for myself now!

Thank you Hugo for getting back to me with the information on progress.

Might it be possible to put the status of Elite Dangerous into the Driver release notes? At least that way we could quickly see that it was not yet fixed (or even fixed at some point) and save the time and hassle required to update driver and then revert the driver unnecessarily.

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve_NB

Allow me to check if adding this issue to the known issues list on the release notes is possible. I will let you know once I get the information for you.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

While waiting to see if Hugo is able to get a line added in the release notes indicating that Elite Dangerous is still crashing on startup, I would like to share that in fact it does still crash on startup with new beta driver 31.0.101.4514.

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve_NB

We have passed your feedback and requested for this issue to be added to the driver release notes, however, please note that this is not guaranteed as the team in charge will need to consider it before adding it to the document. We have also created an article related to the issue so other customers know we are working on it. Please note that even though at the moment the issue is not in the release once there is a fix, the fix will be outlined in the release notes.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Hi Hugo,

thank you very much for that. 

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve_NB

Thank you for your understanding. Since there are no further questions we will now proceed to close the thread. The thread will be open for you or other customers to continue posting if needed, however, we will no longer monitor it since this is a known issue we are currently working on.

Feel free to open a new topic if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Sumo
Beginner

Glad to hear its being worked on. Is there a bug number or something we can use to keep track of this?

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

I daresay there is an internal bug number, but publicly there is this:-

Technote

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone, @Steve_NB

We appreciate everyone's patience on this issue. We would like to let you know that this issue should have been resolved with the new driver version 31.0.101.4644. We recommend that you do an installation using Display Driver Uninstaller.

Please let us know and confirm if the issue gets resolved for you as well.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Sumo
Beginner

Can confirm. Game starts now and I can get to ship. Haven't played in anger.

Thanks Hugo!

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Hi Hugo,

thank you very much for the update.

I just cleaned my system of the old driver using DDU, installed 4644, and fired up Elite.

The planetary generation system stalled at 0% for quite a while, but eventually carried on, and Elite successfully started.

Looks good so far, but I will put in a full gaming session later for better test. After all, lots of updates have happened since the last driver that worked with Elite (4257) and any of them could have broken Elite in other places

But seriously, thank you to yourself and the team very much for putting the time and effort in to address this.

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve_NB

Good to know the game is working fine at the moment. we will continue to monitor this thread so you can have time to test and let us know if the game continues to work without problems.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve_NB

I wanted to get back to you and ask you, How is your gaming going so far in Elite Dangerous? Are the crashes at planet generation resolved for you with the latest driver update? We would appreciate it if you could share your feedback with us.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos