Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1630 Discussions

Video signal unstable when playing on TV

airnichols13
Novice
Hi,

I'm having an issue going between playing on my gaming monitor and my TV.

When using the monitor (via displayport) everything is fine. When I use the TV though (via an HDMI 2.1 cable), the video signal gets lost periodically and the whole screen goes black for a few seconds, then comes back.

It drops the signal like this every 30 seconds or so for about 30-45 minutes, then it stops and works fine after that.

It does this most noticable during gameplay, it doesn't seem to matter which game. If it matters, I only play Halo infinite and F1 23.

I'm on Windows with the latest arc drivers. My TV is a Sony X900h.

Any help would be appreciated,
Chris
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello airnichols13,

Before we continue to look into this matter internally, we want to recommend you install our latest graphics driver, version 31.0.101.4672. To discard that previous driver files are causing the issue, please run the Display Driver Uninstaller. The DDU tool will eliminate all drivers and leftover files from previous driver versions. Check How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an Intel® Graphics Driver for instructions.

We also noticed that your BIOS version is not up to date. Based on the Intel SSU report, your BIOS version is 4.01, and the latest available on the ASRock website is version 7.02. It is always recommended to have the system up to date so you have the latest fixes for your system. If you need more details about the BIOS update, you should consult with ASRock support for more details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @airnichols13  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

In order to assist you here, please specify the Intel graphics model that you are referring to. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
airnichols13
Novice
I should have included that - I have an Acer Predator BiFrost Intel Arc A770.
0 Kudos
Omëron
New Contributor I
If your TV have the VRR option enable, can you try to disable it ? (for testing purposes).
0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @airnichols13  

Thank you for the information provided. 

In that case, please allow me to forward your post to the proper team to assist you. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello airnichols13

We have received your inquiry about the HDMI signal problem you are experiencing with your Acer Predator BiFrost Intel Arc A770. We would be more than glad to help you.

To better assist you, we want to confirm the following information:

• When did the issue start?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
  • Is it possible for you to test another display using the HDMI connection? This would help us discard the possibility of a driver update
  • We would like to have further information about your system to look into this problem internally, so please provide us with the following:
  • Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)
    • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
    • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save."
  • Intel® Graphics Command Center:
    • Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • Navigate to the Support tab
    • Select System Diagnostic
    • Click Generate Report
    • Select Save and name the output file.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
airnichols13
Novice
Hi,

I can run the diagnosis but in the meantime I tried turning VRR off on my TV and without VRR the screen never cuts out.

I tried swapping the settings back and forth a few times and never with VRR off did the screen go black or loose signal; with VRR turned on almost immediately the signal would become unstable.

To answer some of your questions:
- I've noticed the issue mostly in the past 2 months (playing F1 23 right now but also Halo Infinite over the winter)
- I've made sure all software is updated, tried various combinations of monitor and cable, and now tried VRR on/off

The VRR apparently is the issue.

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
Omëron
New Contributor I

Note your TV Firmware Version

Check if you can have newer firmware on Sony web Site : https://www.sony.com/electronics/support

If newer firmware is avaible, update to it.

Turn ON VRR and try Again the computer.

Sony X900h, had some Issue with VRR (don't know if it solved now..)

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello airnichols13,

The recommendation from @Omëron is correct, and you should check if you have the latest Firmware version for your TV installed. After looking into the SONY website, we noticed that the X900H has a firmware update available, v6.2146. If you haven't, install the new firmware update and test again.

We would also request you to share the system reports. Both Intel SSU and Intel GCC reports will help us check further details of your system and will be helpful if we need to look into this matter.

If it is possible, try using another VRR-compatible display to discard a compatibility problem.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
airnichols13
Novice

Yes, my TV software is up to date.

I don't have another VRR-capable TV to test on, but if it helps this never happens when playing on my computer monitor which is hooked up through DisplayPort (meaning I wonder if this is an HDMI 2.1 bug).

I have attached the system reports as well.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello airnichols13,

Before we continue to look into this matter internally, we want to recommend you install our latest graphics driver, version 31.0.101.4672. To discard that previous driver files are causing the issue, please run the Display Driver Uninstaller. The DDU tool will eliminate all drivers and leftover files from previous driver versions. Check How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an Intel® Graphics Driver for instructions.

We also noticed that your BIOS version is not up to date. Based on the Intel SSU report, your BIOS version is 4.01, and the latest available on the ASRock website is version 7.02. It is always recommended to have the system up to date so you have the latest fixes for your system. If you need more details about the BIOS update, you should consult with ASRock support for more details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
airnichols13
Novice

Hi,

I updated my BIOS, ran the driver uninstall tool, and installed the latest arc driver from your link.

Something about these things seems to have fixed it because I was able to play with VRR enabled just now and the video signal never cut out.

So I think it's fixed, thank you!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello airnichols13,

We're happy to hear that the problem has been resolved by updating the BIOS and running the DDU tool. This information might be useful for other members of the community. As the issue is now fixed, we'll be closing the thread. If you require further assistance, please start a new question since this one will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos