Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1654 Discussions

arc A770 has become unusable after a couple of months , help me please

Deagle_
Novice

i always had little problems with my a770 , but now it has become unusable , after i installed new drivers , currently ver 31.0.101.5084 , when under load , in 75% of the games i played it just crashes the whole pc ,

i get a black screen on both of my monitor , i can keep hearing sound , like discord channel for example , but they can't hear me , and the only thing that i can do at this point is keep pressing the on/off button to shut down the pc and turn it on again ,

the time it happens vary , even 2-3 times in a row just after rebooting, or just once and then no more for hours , yesterday i was playing war thunder , and i just kept crashing , like 4 times in a row in the span of 10 minutes , i'll leave here what kind of components i have :

CPU : intel i7 12700kf

MOBO : nzxt z690

RAM : 2x16 DDr4 Viper rgb 3200

storage : 1 nvme 250 (kingston) , 1 nvme 1tb(samsung 980pro(recently added 15 days max)), HDD wdblue 1tb , HDD seagate barracuda 2TB

water cooled with corsair H100i v2

PSU : corsair VS650

it has windows 10

GPU : arc a770 8gb (Asrock phantom gaming) ,

i initiated a RMA with the seller (i had the card for like 5months) , but i have to wait till the first couple of days of jenuary , but i'm kinda scared they won't find any problems since they are very probably softwere driver problems and i wasted 50 bucks more or less between sending it and such , what could i do? , i used to have similar problems but they were a lot more scarce , and they resolved itself in a couple of weeks ,

now i even completely formatted my pc , even tho it wasn't long since the last complete one , more or less 4 months , and after an entire day of playing tarkov , the pc didn't crash even once , but as soon as i run a game called medieval dynasty , it asked me to download directX , and after literaly 30 seconds it crashed again , this situation is very stressful and i'm regretting my gpu choice .... 

what do you think what could i do? 

i add that i used whocrashed to read windows dumps , but there were no dumps , i think it is technically because the system is still running when it blackscreens , i have to shutdown the pc manually , but otherwise the screen stays black even waiting several minutes ...

20 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I will be more than happy to help you. Since you are having crashes and black screen issues with your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics after installing the new driver. 

In order to enhance comprehension of the circumstances, kindly respond to the following inquiries:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Deagle_
Novice

i have it in many games , almost all directX games , it is a problem related to directX , my computer is formatted just yesterday so it's clean , i'll tell you in a couple of hours / days if it resolves something ,  for now i'm defeated and i spent 700€ for a 3080 and a new psu 

0 Kudos
Deagle_
Novice

also , i'll tell you what : first time i use pc after formatting , nothing crashes , first time i run medieval dynasty , it asks me to download directX Runtime , if i say yes , the pc start crashing , but apparently it is  required 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for all the information provided, it has been really helpful.

Remember to provide the information below, it is going to help me to provide you with the next steps:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Deagle_
Novice

i'll repeat , the pc has been formatted , there is literaly nothing on it ,no more of everything , but i know what it is , and you can check that , i won't try to make it crash otherwise i need to format the pc again , 

i'll explain to you everything i know maybe you can investigate on that , 

once i download directX runtime , every time i open a game that uses that thing , the pc keeps crashing , i posted on the latest response , my old windows dumps , rn i can't play medieval dynasty because if i do the pc will start crashing again , and it is ok i don't care , but for example war thunder , a game that used to crash , now doesn't , just not downloading directX runtime , so according to the last dumps , there are 2 drivers that go into conflict with each other , the intel driver , and the directx thing , now if it happens again with another game i will post it here but for now i'll just not play the games that require me to download directx runtime , and i'll see if it crashes again , for now after 1.5 days , no crashes , 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for your clarification and the information provided.

Happy to hear that you have found a workaround. I see that dump files that you have provided before, that will be very helpful.

I understand that you do not want to make the computer crash and format it one more time, but the information requested before will help us to provide you with the next steps and start with the investigation, please provide the information below and we will be more than glad to continue assisting you and find a solution:

• Take screenshots of the game settings. If we need to replicate the issue we can do it as accurately as possible.
  • Does the issue happen with older driver versions?
  • Attach the report generated by the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows (SSU) to know your hardware and software environment.

Since you also have the same issue with other games as mentioned previously, to help you in the best way and keep all threads organized, please open a thread per game.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Deagle_
Novice

hello i'll paste a file with the logs from that application , but i can't do more than that , i don't understand if it is an automatically generated response , because if i told you that i can't run the game at all otherwise it asks me to download the directX runtime that will start all this ordeal again with the crashes and all , HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET THE GAME OPTIONS............................ , and also , how am i supposed to try if it doesn't crash with older driver IF THE PC DOESNT CRASH now , i will repeat miself , hoping to give you more information that might be helpfull to others with the same problem as mine ,

certain games ..... one of which is medieval dynasty , when run for the first time , ask you to download directX runtime , i don't know what it is , but must have something to do with directX , so it is required for SOME games , IF and only IF i say yes to this messages , and i begin installing directX , the pc will START CRASHING , and the only way to stop it from crashing is to completely wipe out the pc , so that the 2 drivers of the old dump i sent stop go into conflict with each other , so , after i wiped my pc once , and saw that as long as i don't download directX runtime it doesn't crash , i wiped it again , and now , without directX runtime , it doesn't crash anymore , and i will not download it again to risk it crashing again , so from my pc there are no information to be collected , it has been wiped twice in the last month , and the pc doesn't know it used to crash , so no dumps or logs will help you i think , BUT i know exactly how to replicate the error and you could try that , get a new pc , with similar specs to mine , (even tho i don't think it does matter ) get the exact driver as mine , and run a game that asks for directX runtime , for now i don't know which game asks for it , the only one i know of is , medieval dynasty , but since many other ppl had the same problem as mine , it is widespread , and not only due to the game , after the first download you should see that every game that uses directX , even some that don't require for the runtime at the first launch will start crashing randomly , in my case for example i played  war thunder (before downloading directX doesn't crash) after , it does , medieval dynasty of course , and i also tried kerbal space program 2 , and as well crashed some times , now that directX  runtime is not downloaded  neither war thunder nor ksp2 does crash , hope i've been of some use to you and you will be able to find the problem and resolve it 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for clarifying and for letting me know that you are not able to get the graphics settings since the issue happens once you install DirectX runtime.

I have seen the Intel® SSU report you have attached, and I noticed that your system is up to date, please answer the following questions for clarification:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Deagle_
Novice

didn't use it at first , but used it later on and didn't change anything 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for completing the steps and for letting me know the results.

I will start with an investigation to provide you with the next steps as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for your time.

We want to start with the issue replication, but first, we would like to know which store you bought Medieval Dynasty from. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Deagle_
Novice

everything has been played on steam

0 Kudos
Deagle_
Novice

also this just went into my mind , always since i first installed the card , the vga led on the motherboard is and permanently was on , i don't know what it could mean 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for your response. 

I will continue with your investigation and as soon I have further details I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for your time.

I have been working on the investigation and now we will start with the issue replication, as soon as I have the results I will let you know. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for your time.

I am still working on the investigation of the issue replication, we hope to have the results soon, as soon as I have it, I will let you know. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for all your time and patience.

I am still working on the issue replication, we hope to have the results soon, as soon as I have it, I will let you know. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Thank you for all your time.

We have completed the LAB and we were unable to replicate the issue, the only difference is that we used the latest graphics driver available:

Please keep me informed of the results.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

Were you able to clean install the graphics driver with DDU and then install the latest graphics driver 31.0.101.5186?   

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Deagle_,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andres P.

0 Kudos