Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646
11381 Discussions

DG965WH motherboard memory

danf62465
Beginner
Hello, I need to upgrade the memory on the DG965WH motherboard from 2Gb to 4Gb@800MHz. I know that at 800MHz, 4Gb is the maximum. Can I use 2 2Gig modules, or does the motherboard need 4 1Gig modules to work? The memory is not made any longer, but I have located a source of 2Gb modules. Any input appreciated! Thanks, -danf62465
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

According to the TPS document for this board,

1. If you use 533MHz or 667MHz DDR2 DIMMs, you can use 2GB DIMMs and thus can achieve a total of 8GB.
  2. If you use 800MHz DDR2 DIMMs, you can only use 1GB DIMMs and thus can only achieve a total of 4MB.

I see nowhere in the TPS or Product Guide documents where it says that 2GB 800MHz DDR2 DIMMs can be used. It may be possible, but the documentation doesn't say that you can. I will note, however, that there is a BIOS fix in BIOS 1738 (and later) that is titled "Enabled system to boot with greater than 8GB of memory". This makes things look more promising.

Hope this helps. Do you have a way to test the board with this memory before actually making a purchase?

...S

P.S. If your goal is to install Windows 10, you need to make sure that you have an add-in NVIDIA or AMD graphics card. Obviously, this card must be from the same era; you likely will not be able to get any modern cards to work.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson

According to the TPS document for this board,

1. If you use 533MHz or 667MHz DDR2 DIMMs, you can use 2GB DIMMs and thus can achieve a total of 8GB.
  2. If you use 800MHz DDR2 DIMMs, you can only use 1GB DIMMs and thus can only achieve a total of 4MB.

I see nowhere in the TPS or Product Guide documents where it says that 2GB 800MHz DDR2 DIMMs can be used. It may be possible, but the documentation doesn't say that you can. I will note, however, that there is a BIOS fix in BIOS 1738 (and later) that is titled "Enabled system to boot with greater than 8GB of memory". This makes things look more promising.

Hope this helps. Do you have a way to test the board with this memory before actually making a purchase?

...S

P.S. If your goal is to install Windows 10, you need to make sure that you have an add-in NVIDIA or AMD graphics card. Obviously, this card must be from the same era; you likely will not be able to get any modern cards to work.

danf62465
Beginner

Hi n_scott_pearson,  and thank you for the reply.  It is very helpful.  Not installing Win10.  It is running Win Server2003R2.  Need to upgrade the memory to 4Gb from 2Gb.  Memory is  no longer made, and I was having difficulty finding 800MHz 1Gb DIMMs.  2Gb 800MHz DIMMs seem more available, but are not a solution.  I cannot test the DIMMs first, I have to purchase them.

Thanks again for your reply,

-DanF62465

danf62465
Beginner

Hello n_scott_pearson,

I purchased 800MHz, DDR2 DIMM chips, 4 1Gb modules and installed them.  The BIOS recognizes the 4Gb of memory, as does the "system information" part of the OS (WinServer 2003R2).  However, the system is very slow.  With the old 2Gb of memory, it would take about 45 seconds to a minute to boot up.  With the 4 new 1Gb memory modules, it takes about 4 to 5 minutes and is extremely sluggish. 

I put the 2Gb of memory back, and it is back to regular speed (but still needs a memory upgrade to 4Gb).

Any idea as to what might be going wrong? 

With thanks,

-DanF62465

n_scott_pearson

You've got incompatible memory. Try a different brand.

...S