Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1660 Discussions

Unable to access devcloud via ssh - Permission denied (publickey)

Zhibo
Beginner

Hi there,

I can not access Intel DevCloud through ssh. I followed the manual configure guides from https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/documentation/connect-with-ssh-linux-macos/

However, I could not succeed to log on via ssh, it returned Permission denied (publickey). There are similar topics regarding the "permission denied" in the forum but none of the solutions worked for me .

I can access DevCloud from jupyter, which confused me.

Could you please help me check the issue? 

For information, my user id is uxxxxxx

Many thanks,

Zhibo

0 Kudos
16 Replies
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel communities.

Could you please try the steps for automatic configuration(option 1) given in this link ? (log in here using your username and password).

When the script is executed in your terminal you can find a configuration file created ~/.ssh/config. If you are under any proxy setting you can update this config file with the respective HOSTNAME and PORT at the highlighted.

RemyaP_Intel_0-1681887972578.png

After the above steps, check whether you are able to log in to Intel DevCloud using the command

ssh devcloud

Or, if there are any proxy settings, use: 

ssh devcloud.proxy

Please try the above steps and let us know if the issue still persists or not.

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with a similar issue. Thank you!

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
Zhibo
Beginner

Hi Remya,

Many thanks for your reply! I have tried the automatic configuration on a virtual machine, the same error occurred. Could it be the key downloaded from https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/documentation/connect-with-ssh-linux-macos/ has not yet  been authorized? just guess

Best regards,

Zhibo

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Thanks. We would need your user id details to investigate further. I have requested them in private. Kindly share them in private.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi, 

Since you are able to connect to DevCloud via Jupyter Notebook, I assume, it could be the issue with the config file. Could you please delete the ./ssh folder created and retry the setup? Also, can you check whether you are able to connect to DevCloud without the proxy?

Regards,

Remya Premdas 

0 Kudos
Zhibo
Beginner

Hi Remya,

Sorry for my late reply. I deleted the ./ssh folder and created it again following the automated configuration, however, the same error was raised. I can access DevCloud via jupyter without proxy.

I just found a potential solution community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/DevCloud-Permission-Denied-Public-Key/m-p/1404786#M5745  from the community. Do you think is that because some piece of my account is missing? Many thanks!

Best regards,

Zhibo

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Yes. Could you please try out the solution provided in the given thread? Also, can you please provide the ssh config file in private?

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Have you tried the manual configuration after following the steps in the thread mentioned above? If not, could you please try manual configuration and see if you are able to connect to ssh DevCloud? Make sure that you have given the correct permissions to the .ssh folder.

1. chmod 600 ~/.ssh/devcloud-access-key-xxxxxx.txt <Replace xxxxxx with your user id>

2. chmod 600 ~/.ssh/config 

Also, could you please share the OS details?

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
Zhibo
Beginner

Hi Remya,

Yes, I have tried with the mannual configurations, but never succeeded.

I have tried on a RHEL8.4 and a Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, however neither worked and the same error was returned.

may I ask should the key downloaded from setup-devcloud-access-my_uid.txt be matched with the one at ~/.ssh accessed through jupyter terminal? I have compared both and found they are different.

Best regards

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. We will check with our internal team and get back to you.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

From the config file shared and we found that the proxy has not been set. Please talk to the University of Edinburg IT to get the correct proxy settings: https://computing.help.inf.ed.ac.uk/search/node/proxy

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
Zhibo
Beginner

Hi Remya,

Many thanks for your reply! I will speak to our department's IT

And may I ask is it possible to access Cloud Dev directly from my home(residential broadband, not in the University's network)? thanks

Best regards,

Zhibo

0 Kudos
Zhibo
Beginner

Hi @RemyaP_Intel

I tried with my home broadband and the error persists - where I deleted the proxy configurations in the config file but it still returned Permission denied(publickey) thus It should not be the proxy issue 

I found another post that might be helpful

community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/Unable-to-SSH-into-intel-devcloud-Permission-denied-publickey/m-p/1403530#M5678

Could you please check the public key on intel devcloud's machine for me? many thanks!

Best regards,

Zhibo

0 Kudos
Zhibo
Beginner

Hi @RemyaP_Intel 

I have double checked my configuration as well as the private key file again, and I am quite sure the issue should be with the public key at the server side, e.g. the mismatch between key pair, public key revoked, just like this thread I mentioned before.

Could you please escalate the case to the administrator to investigate the key pair for me?

Many thanks for your kind help!

Best regads,

Zhibo

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Could you please sign-up for a new DevCloud account using a different email id? Please let us know if you are facing the same issue with new account or not.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
Zhibo
Beginner

Hi @RemyaP_Intel 

Thanks for your kind reply. I have created a new account with another email address and everything works well. Thus I suspect it should be the issue with the public key on the server side. Many thanks!

Best regards,

Zhibo

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos