Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

Is there a table that summarizes these possible third party licenses?

anony
Beginner

hello there,
I'm trying to use openvino below in my project.
language: C++
version: 2021.4.2 LTS
The library used in the call is as follows.

"onnx_proto.dll
onnx_protod.dll
pcie-ma2x8x.elf
plugins.xml
tbb.dll
tbb_debug.dll
tbb_preview.dll
tbb_preview_debug.dll
tbbbind.dll
tbbbind_debug.dll
tbbmalloc.dll
tbbmalloc_debug.dll
usb-ma2x8x.mvcmd
AutoPlugin.dll
cache.json
clDNNPlugin.dll
gna.dll
GNAPlugin.dll
hddl_perfcheck.exe
HDDLPlugin.dll
HeteroPlugin.dll
inference_engine.dll
inference_engine_c_api.dll
inference_engine_ir_reader.dll
inference_engine_legacy.dll
inference_engine_lp_transformations.dll
inference_engine_onnx_reader.dll
inference_engine_preproc.dll
inference_engine_transformations.dll
libhwloc-5.dll
libprotobuf.dll
libprotobufd.dll
MKLDNNPlugin.dll
MultiDevicePlugin.dll
myriad_compile.exe
myriad_perfcheck.exe
myriadPlugin.dll
ngraph.dll
ngraphd.dll
onnx_importer.dll
onnx_importerd.dll"

Is there a table that summarizes these possible third party licenses?
I want a table like below.

〇〇〇.dll → MIT license
×××.dll → MIT license
△△△.dll → BSD license

I have already checked the following files.

"https://github.com/openvinotoolkit/openvino/tree/master/licensing
https://github.com/openvinotoolkit/openvino/tree/master/thirdparty"

However, unlike the table I want, each dll is not associated with a license.
Also, I would like the license file for the one distributed in the exe, not the one published on github.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/openvino-toolkit/download.html

I never want to violate the license.
Please tell me how to check the license.
If it's hard to communicate with my clumsy English, it's because of my poor English skills.
Thank you.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Munesh_Intel

Hi Anony,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit is available via End User License Agreement (EULA) license.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/end-user-license-agreement.html

The relevant EULA for Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit is End User License Agreement for the Intel® Software Development Products (Version October 2018)

Please take into account the restrictions related to license types listed in Section 3 and other restrictions mentioned in Section 4.

We strongly suggest you review EULA with your legal department or legal officer, as the messages from Intel Customer Support representatives do not have any legal effect.

On the other hand, open source OpenVINO distribution from GitHub is available via open source Apache 2.0 license.

https://github.com/openvinotoolkit/openvino/blob/master/LICENSE

Answering your question, when you download Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/openvino-toolkit/download.html, the license type is “Single Named-User License Type”. With this license:

• If you consume binaries into you application and include OpenVINO™ toolkit as part of a larger software product:
    • There is no need for any special agreement as long as the binaries are part of redist.txt. You can go ahead with your project. 

• If you redistribute only the runtime package: Runtime packages for the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit are made available via package managers, like YUM and APT repositories, Docker containers, DockerHub and Anaconda.

• If you redistribute the entire Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit as is (i.e., as a pre-installed software in hardware or systems, in app marketplaces, etc.):
    • This requires a special agreement to be signed between Intel and you to allow for re-distribution.

So, if you just want to re-distribute only the files or folders listed in redist.txt, you are free to do so without any special agreement.

For your information, for OpenVINO 2021.4 LTS, the redist.txt files are available at the following locations (for Windows version):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\openvino_2021.4.752\licensing\opencv\redist.txt
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\openvino_2021.4.752\licensing\install_dependencies\redist.txt
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\openvino_2021.4.752\licensing\deployment_tools\redist.txt

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
anony
Beginner

Thank you very much for your reply.

If necessary, I will consult with our legal department or legal officer.

By the way, I don't think anything other than the name anony has been made public.
Is it different?
Are email addresses and other nicknames subject to disclosure?

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hello anony,

Your Personal Identifiable Information (PII) such as first, last name and email address are not publicly disclosed on this forum or any other Intel web site. If another customer views your community profile, they see only posts that you have participated in and your chosen username.

Your name and email are available only in Intel’s internal case management system and account databases, which is accessible only to Intel support personnel.

Please refer to Intel's Privacy Policy for more information.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
anony
Beginner

thank you

We are going to call some DLLs as mentioned at the beginning of this question and use this as part of another (probably) larger piece of software.
In this case, is it the pattern below?
"If you consume binaries into your application and include OpenVINO toolkit as part of a larger software product"

In other words, I would like to know if binaries means dll or exe, just in case.
(Although it is recognized that there is almost no problem)

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hello anony,

We are checking with Programs Team regarding your query, and will get back to you once we've obtained updates from them.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi anony,

We've just got feedback from our Programs Team. 

From the files that you've listed, about 90% are OpenVINO™ related, and the rest are Windows related. 

The Programs Team has confirmed that OpenVINO™ toolkit is open source, and as per our previously mentioned guidelines,

(If you consume binaries into your application and include OpenVINO™ toolkit as part of a larger software product:

There is no need for any special agreement as long as the binaries are part of redist.txt), you can go ahead and use them in your project. 

Regards,

Munesh 

0 Kudos
anony
Beginner

Thank you for your tremendous help in asking the program team.
Thank you very much.

Could you please indicate what files I have shown are not OpenVINO related?

Thank you again and again.

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi anony,

All DLLs with onnxtbbprotobufhwloc in the file names are 3rd party dependencies, the rest are OpenVINO DLLs.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
anony
Beginner

Sorry for the delay I read the following file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\openvino_2021.4.752\licensing\deployment_tools\redist.txt

Does this file mean that as far as dlls and exe's in deployment_tools are concerned, it is ok to redistribute them if they are part of a larger piece of software?

I was wondering about the following.

「YOU MAY NOT REDISTRIBUTE THESE MATERIALS UNDER AN EVALUATION LICENSE
################################################################################
### Intel(R) Deep Learning Deployment Toolkit for Windows*
################################################################################
<install_root>/licensing/deployment_tools/redist.txt
<install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/bin/intel64/Debug/*
<install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/bin/intel64/Release/*
....」

Am I correct that I am using an end user license and not an evaluation license?
I would like to use the files at <install_root>/deployment_tools/ngraph for example.
Is this possible?
「C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\openvino_2021.4.752\licensing\deployment_tools\redist.txt」 does not clarify the scope of coverage, so I asked just in case.
Thank you for your cooperation.

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi anony,

As we've mentioned before in our first reply:

When you download Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/openvino-toolkit/download.html, the license type is “Single Named-User License Type”. 

The disclaimer provided in redist.txt is meant for an evaluation license.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
anony
Beginner

Thank you very much.
Thanks to you I know almost everything.
Sorry for repeating the same question due to my lack of understanding.

By the way, I followed your words and looked for onnx,tbb in the following files, but could not find it anywhere.
Other protobufs and hwlocs were quickly found.
Where is the license file about onnx,tbb?

Also, as for gna as it says in the readme, what is the following license?
Is redistribution a problem?
GNA SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

Finally, I was organizing my files on the DLLs I use and found the following folders. Of these, the following were mentioned in the readme file.

<install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/*
  <install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/bin/intel64/Debug
  <install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/bin/intel64/Release

However, the following are not listed in in the readme file.
<install_root>/deployment_tools/ngraph\lib
<install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/external\tbb\bin

However, there was a LICENSE file at <install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/external\tbb\. Is this the license file about TBB?

In summary, my new questions are as follows

(1) What is the location of the onnx license file?
(2) Please tell me about the GNA SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT.
(3) Please let me know the license file of ngraph.
(4) What is the license file about tbb?
(5) Intel(R) OpenVINO(TM) Distribution LicenseIs this license only for
   <install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/*
  ,does it also apply to the following two? 
   <install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/bin/intel64/Debug
    <install_root>/deployment_tools/inference_engine/bin/intel64/Release
(6) What is the scope of application of "licensing\deployment_tools\redist.txt"?

Thank you for your cooperation.

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi anony,

For 1 and 3, the ONNX dlls are located in nGraph folder, and nGraph is subject to Apache 2.0 license, which is available at C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\openvino_2021.4.752\licensing\deployment_tools 

2. The GNA Software License Agreement is available at C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\openvino_2021.4.752\licensing\deployment_tools 

Please take into account the license restrictions listed in Section 3.

4. For Intel(R) Threading Building Blocks, please refer to third-party-programs.txt located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\openvino_2021.4.752\licensing\deployment_tools .

Please take into account the restrictions related to license (listed in Section 3) and redistribution (mentioned in Section 4).

For third party TBB files, please refer to tbb_third-party-programs.txt, also located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\openvino_2021.4.752\licensing\deployment_tools.

5. Literally, yes. ./* means all files and directories in current working directory plus all files and directories in all directories in the current working directory.

6. The scope of redist.txt is as follows:

This text file is the file (e.g., redist.txt, etc) specified in the accompanying End User License Agreement for the Intel(R) OpenVINO(TM) Distribution ("Agreement").

All capitalized terms used but not defined in this text file have the same meaning as specified in the Agreement.

Also included as Redistributables are executables and shared and static libraries you create by linking your program with libraries provided by Intel as part of the Materials for this product but which are not listed in this redist.txt file (“Libraries”); provided that you do not redistribute those Intel provided libraries or any other portion of those Intel provided libraries in any other way.

Once again, we wish to inform that the relevant EULA for Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit is End User License Agreement for the Intel® Software Development Products (Version October 2018)

Please take into account the restrictions related to license types listed in Section 3 and other restrictions mentioned in Section 4.

We strongly suggest you review EULA with your legal department or legal officer, as the messages from Intel Customer Support representatives do not have any legal effect.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
anony
Beginner

Thank you. I understand all but one. Regarding GNA, looking at this, I think redistribution is restricted, is that correct? (If possible, I would like to bundle and redistribute it with our products. Is it redistributable if it is part of the whole like the EULA?) I hope my understanding is wrong. Thank you.

0 Kudos
anony
Beginner

I would be grateful if you could let us have your answer concerning this matter 

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hello anony,

We are checking with Programs Team regarding your latest query, and will get back to you once we've obtained updates from them.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi anony,

We've just got feedback from our Programs Team, as follows:

You are correct that the GNA Software License Agreement.txt grants certain distribution rights.

See, for example, Section 2(iii). As you note, these distribution rights are restricted at least as specified in Section 2 as well as in Section 3. Of course, you are expected to comply with entirety of the GNA license (and the licenses for all other components delivered). Whether the rights / restrictions will work with the specifics of your project is a matter you will need to assess with your legal representatives as only you have the details required for such analysis. 

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi anony,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided explanations. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
anony
Beginner

Thank you for your response.
I have a few more questions and will open a new thread later.
We also apologize for the delay in responding.
Thank you for your continued support.

0 Kudos