Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6404 Discussions

openVINO GPU plugin failure with Atom E3950 headless board

KArzo
Novice

have installed XRDP on Up2 board running Ubuntu 16.04 and my acceleration on the GPU works fine when  a display is connected and run it locally. It also works fine when I run it remotely so long as a monitor is connected. Once the monitor is disconnected (and reboot) I get

self.exec_net = self.ie.load_network(network=self.net,device_name=self.plugin)

File "ie_api.pyx", line 178, in

openvino.inference_engine.ie_api.IECore.load_network

File "ie_api.pyx", line 187, in

openvino.inference_engine.ie_api.IECore.load_network

RuntimeError: Failed to create plugin

/opt/intel/openvino_2020.3.194/deployment_tools/inference_engine/lib/intel64/libclDNNPlugin.so

for device GPU

Please, check your environment

[CLDNN ERROR]. clGetPlatformIDs error -1001

Is the GPU being disabled when no monitor is detected? if so, how can I get around this issue?

p.s. tried Ghost emulator fake display dongle available at Amazon. Did not help... Also tried remote via VNC and here could not even connect remotely when no display...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peh_Intel

Hi KArzo,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

There are several things to check and troubleshoot regarding the encountered error: [CLDNN ERROR]. clGetPlatformIDs error -1001. You may refer to Driver issues troubleshooting.

You can check whether iGPU is enabled or disabled when the monitor is disconnected with the command below:

cat /sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:02.0/enable

In a meanwhile, how’s about connecting to a monitor and running with GPU in the beginning before disconnecting the monitor and without reboot?

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
KArzo
Novice
Hello Peh,
Unfortunately remote access is critical to our product’s success. The Atom based boards will be installed without monitor and powered up…later the boards will each be remotely accessed, configured and run… as such connecting a monitor then unplugging is not an option...
Btw, the reason I believe the issue is openVINO related is because we also use MyriadX and loading / initializing it fails as well ... 

I did look at the link you provided and checked all and nothing is out of ordinary... Also I was hoping that a cheap HDMI fake monitor plug would work but it did not… 

I really think this is an issue that is worth having openVINO experts look into it... it is easy to duplicate and I am sure you'll hear complaints as headless edge devices is more common than otherwise.

Regards,
0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi KArzo,

I am channelling this issue as feature request to our development team to potentially assess this requirement.

I shall keep you posted on any updates once I received any feedback and update.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi KArzo,

We’ve replicated the issue by using our host machine (OpenVINO™ 2020.3.394, Ubuntu 18.04, Atom x7E3950, Intel® HD Graphics 505) and able to launch the security barrier demo with GPU as per below steps:

1)    Validate the screen connection - only rdp0 detected

xrdp.jfif

2)    Run security barrier demo with GPU - able to execute successfully

Demo.jfif

With this, we would suggest you try with the following ways:

1) Migrate to Ubuntu 18.04 - as Ubuntu 16.x is excluded from officially supported OSes for OpenVINO™ and running with different kernels, this might contribute the potential issues as reported.

2) Use substitute apps (MobaXterm or VNC) for monitor-less system access.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi KArzo,

Thank you for your question. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread is no longer being monitored. 

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos