cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mindchasers
Novice

Modelsim: "Unable to replace existing ini file"

Hello,

Ever since I upgraded to the latest Quartus Pro Edition (21.2.0), the bundled Modelsim hangs when I compile a Verilog source file and prints out error messages to the console shown below.  It might hang for a minute or two on a simple Verilog file with the cursor turning into a spinner.

I have tried changing the properties on the mpf file, but I haven't been able to find a fix. 

# ** Error: 捁散獳椠⁳敤楮摥മ
# $
# Unable to replace existing ini file (<filename>.mpf). File can not be renamed.
# $
# Unable to replace existing ini file (<filename>.mpf). File can not be renamed.
# $

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Hi @mindchasers 

Do you save the project in a project directory ? And not using the installation directory (C drive). 

The program (Quartus/Modelsim) will need to Run As Administration to edit the any files located in C drive. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

mindchasers
Novice

Thank you for the reply.

The "sim" folder is OUTSIDE the C:\intelFPGA_pro installation folder. 

As an authenticated user, I have full control over my "sim" folder.

Also, I have verified the *.mpf file is NOT set for read only.

Hi @mindchasers 

I would try to uninstall and re-install the Modelsim. 

You can download it from the link below:

https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/21.2/?edition=pro

See if that works for you. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

mindchasers
Novice

I should have mentioned that I had already tried reinstalling it.   It didn't make a difference.  Thank you.

Hi @mindchasers 

Unfortunately, I can't find any info related to this error. 

If you try to do the simulation using the flow mentioned in the document, will you able to simulate it? 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/yur1496247032051.html

Best Regards,
Richard Tan