Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

Quartus Prime Pro 20.1 install hangs

Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

I'm trying to install Quartus Prime Pro 20.1 on a Windows 10 Pro machine and when the progress bar gets to about 55% it hangs and stops responding. CPU activity for the installer sits at 25% (4 core processor) but disk traffic drops to nothing. I've tried a disk clean up (725 GBytes free) and a reboot to no avail. I turned off all the bits I didn't want (i.e. ModelSim) so I don't know how else to simplify the issue.

TIA

Oliver

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

So heads up, the problem was corruption of the .tar file. I'll have to talk with the network experts, but copying the .tar to a network drive does the damage, which I could confirm by checking against the published SHA1 checksum. If I use 7zip to extract from the network version there are no complaints but the install consistently hangs.

Why the installer doesn't perform any kind of corruption check is a bit surprising in this day and age is somewhat surprising to me. Ditto, why TARs when zips would be easier for most users.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Here are troubleshooting steps that you may check: 

1. Before you download and install the software, please check that your machine System and Software Requirements are meet before installation. Ensure that your Operating System is supported. (window 10 is supported, you may double check the Quartus readme.txt at the bottom of the OS webpage)

2. Check that the disk space is sufficient for the installation of the Intel FPGA software. (I assume you have done this)

3. If you are running antivirus software, try to temporarily disable the antivirus software during the Quartus Prime software download and installation process.

4. Install with Administrator privileges. 

5. Try to re-download the Quartus .tar installation package and install again. The latest Quartus Pro version is 22.4.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Hmmm, download of full installer failed after 10 hours. Beer o'clock to calm down.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

So heads up, the problem was corruption of the .tar file. I'll have to talk with the network experts, but copying the .tar to a network drive does the damage, which I could confirm by checking against the published SHA1 checksum. If I use 7zip to extract from the network version there are no complaints but the install consistently hangs.

Why the installer doesn't perform any kind of corruption check is a bit surprising in this day and age is somewhat surprising to me. Ditto, why TARs when zips would be easier for most users.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

1. Windows 10 supports everything according to your link.

2. As per my original post 725 GBytes free space.

3. It is strictly against company IT policy to disable anti virus at any time.

4. I did try the install with 'Run as administrator'

5. I can't use Quartus 22.4 because it no longer supports the SDRAM interface IP block in the system builder.

I'm trying to download the full installer, but boy is that slow, running at only 20% of my available bandwidth. Looking like a 15 hour download

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I feel your pain with the downloads.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Giving up on Quartus Pro as I was sold a bum steer, need to pay for it. Looks like the Cyclone 10 GX wont be an option for my product.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Have you try to install using the steps below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/22-4/installing-from-tar-files.html

That's interesting. I do not aware that copying the .tar to a network drive will corrupt it. Try to untar it first and copy the files inside instead of one tar file.

Found out that copying from one machine to another has the potential to corrupt it.

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/how-to-repair-a-corrupted-tar-archive-and-access-the-files-within/#:~:text=Much%20like%20any%20other%20sort,from%20one%20machine%20to%20another.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Well once I knew the problem was a corrupted TAR doing a work around was simple. I've not explored alternatives but I guess I'll have to figure out how we can put a shared install on our network drive.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I see. Other than that, do you need further help in regards to this case?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Good to know that. Since you have a workaround, I now transition this thread to community support. 

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos