Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1155 Discussions

mgcvipaeaxi license disappear after license renew

IgorKa
Novice

Hello.

I have a problem after renew Intel Prime Quartus license. In the new license file there are no "mgcvipaeaxi", and because of this I can't simulate HPS anymore. 

Any suggestion how I can resolve this problem and why these feature disappear?

Thanks a lot.

BR,

Igor.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
IgorKa
Novice

The error I'm getting:
--------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
# ** ERROR: failed to get a license (mgcvipaeaxi) for 'axi'
# ** Check the license environment (e.g. LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE using lmutils), the transcript and any logs.
# --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

# ** Fatal: (vsim-3960) Foreign module requested halt.

0 Kudos
LiamWeight
Employee

Hey Igor,

My first ask when facing a licensing issue would be to reinstall Quartus or install it on an alternative machine, to check if it's simply a problem with installation. This is a common cause of licensing issues.

I recommend going to the Intel® FPGA Licensing Support Center. There, you'll be able to:

1. Try the troubleshooter to debug the problem.
  2. Access the Intel® FPGA Self Service Licensing Center where you can access the licenses you have available.

Checking you have the latest Flexlm License Daemons installed might also help. You can find the download for them here.

Do let me know how that goes for you.

Kind Regards,

Liam Weight

0 Kudos
IgorKa
Novice

Hello.
Thank you for your answer. The problem is that in the new license file that Intel® FPGA Self Service Licensing Center generated for me (I tried it a couple of times) the following features are missing:

Mentor Graphics AXI3 Master BFM and Mentor Graphics AXI3 Slave BFM

INCREMENT mgcvipaeaxi 

SN=285321107

SN=285321109

I used it in the previous license, but after renewing those SN are gone. This is mandatory to simulate HPS

It should be included in the Quartus Prime license.

Maybe it is some mistake in license generation, or maybe the procedure changed now for the simulation of HPS systems in Cyclone V?

Thank you for your help.

Igor.

0 Kudos
IgorKa
Novice

Hi.

Are there any thoughts about this issue?

I'll very much appreciate some help.

BR,

Igor.

0 Kudos
LiamWeight
Employee

Hey Igor,

As far as I can tell, this specific license (AXI3 BFM) no longer comes as standard with the Quartus tools and must be purchased from Seimens. Find the relevant information here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/24-1/axi-verification-ip-suite-license-intel.html

This likely comes from Seimen's side, so there's little more I can do to help I'm afraid. I hope that at least points you in the right direction.

All the best,

Liam 

0 Kudos
IgorKa
Novice
Thanks, Liam for the update.
It would be great, if you could raise the question internally, how now it possible to simulate HPS? Is it possible at all?

Thanks again for your kind help!
0 Kudos
LiamWeight
Employee

Hey Igor,

It will still be possible to simulate the HPS however, you will need to reach out to Seimens for the AXI3 license now, as we no longer provide it. The other alternative would be to refactor your simulation model to use a different bus that doesn't require a license. 

Kind Regards,

Liam

0 Kudos
IgorKa
Novice

Hello, Liam.

I'm encountering a challenge with Quartus-generated model HPS, regardless of the bus type (including simple Avalon buses, see attached simple project. Just run TB.bat in the TB directory). These models seem to have a dependency on a specific Mentor Graphics DLL that requires a missing license feature. Unfortunately, Intel's decision to remove this license feature has created a roadblock.

I've been in touch with my Siemens representative, and after investigating, they confirmed that Siemens discontinued support for this specific product in 2015. While they offer a newer bundle for bus testing, it doesn't replace the deprecated "mgcvipaeaxi" license. This legacy product was designed specifically for Intel-based FPGAs. Their newer bundle, though expensive (around $3,000), wouldn't be a suitable solution due to its incompatibility.

Given the limitations this dependency creates for my verification process and project deadline, I kindly ask for your assistance. Would it be possible for your team to explore the possibility of internally generating this missing feature ("mgcvipaeaxi")?

Your support would be greatly appreciated and allow me to successfully complete this project for my customer.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Igor.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Find the relevant information 1.2.2. Removed Features and Functions here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683706/24-1/removed-features-and-functions.html

0 Kudos
IgorKa
Novice

Hello.
Thanks. This information is related Quartus Pro edition, that not support Cyclone V devices. The Quartus Standard edition, that I'm using now, there are no such limitations: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683593/23-1std/removed-features-and-functions.html

Maybe there is some workaround from Intel, some suggestion to customers to proceed with using their simulation limitation for HPS?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LiamWeight
Employee

Hey Igor,

I'm still messaging around to see if I can help at all with this. I'll let you know if and when I get some traction.

Kind Regards,

Liam