Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Cannot view register variable

nimalcj
Beginner
I am new to Intel Fortran compiler. When debugging I cannot see the variable values in watch window. It appears "Cannot view register variable". In the compaq compiler I used to work gives any variable value in watch window. Is it possible in Intel to do that? or.. how can I use this debugger?
Thanks
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It sounds as if you are trying to debug an optimized build. If you are building a debug configuration, make sure that optimization is disabled. CVF would do the same thing.
0 Kudos
nimalcj
Beginner
It sounds as if you are trying to debug an optimized build. If you are building a debug configuration, make sure that optimization is disabled. CVF would do the same thing.

Thanks a lot. It helped.
0 Kudos
Juan_Carlos_Parra
Quoting - nimalcj

Thanks a lot. It helped.

I'm having the same issue, even with optimization disabled while debugging. Any clues?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
How certain are you that you have disabled debugging and not reduced the level of debug information? Please attach the buildlog.htm from the build.
0 Kudos
jjfait
Beginner
How certain are you that you have disabled debugging and not reduced the level of debug information? Please attach the buildlog.htm from the build.
Hi Steve I'm having problems with this can you help me, thanks.

------ Build started: Project: new display, Configuration: Debug|Win32 ------

Linking...
Creating temporary file &quotRSP1.rsp" with contents
[
/OUT:&quotDebug/new display.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /LIBPATH:&quotia32lib" /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:&quotD:DisplayBatchINTEL 9.09debugnew display.exe.intermediate.manifest" /DEBUG /PDB:&quotDebug/new display.pdb" /MAP:&quotDebug/new display.map" /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /STACK:100000000 /MACHINE:I386 &quotDebug/spvalu.obj" &quotDebug/srsolv.obj" &quotDebug/Inside.obj" &quotDebug/strings.obj" &quotDebug/newtonrings.obj" &quotDebug/solve.obj" &quotDebug/Limits.obj" &quotDebugBitmapstuff.obj" &quotDebug/transd.obj" &quotDebug/Descript.obj" &quotDebug/display module.obj" &quotDebug/LZWCompression.obj" &quotDebug/ArealXray.obj" &quotDebug/SaveJDZ.obj" &quotDebug/Rebin.obj" &quotDebug/apply_stripe_correction.obj" &quotDebug/sculpt.obj" &quotDebug/LMT3d.obj" &quotDebug/ZDialog.obj" &quotDebug/Sinogram.obj" &quotDebug/openMPA3.obj" &quotDebug/resolution.obj" &quotDebug/model.obj" &quotDebug/background.obj" &quotDebug/odtodose.obj" &quotDebug/LMTfit.obj" &quotDebug/SaveDialog.obj" &quotDebug/openVox.obj" &quotDebug/Fcalibrate.obj" &quotDebug/TwoDGaussian.obj" &quotDebug/TileGlow.obj" &quotDebug/lmask.obj" &quotDebug/Classify.obj" &quotDebug/CompareC.obj" &quotDebug/MCsetup.obj" &quotDebug/TestObject.obj" &quotDebug/Tiff.obj" &quotDebug/Edge.obj" &quotDebug/PopOpen.obj" &quotDebug/transpose.obj" &quotDebug/projgate.obj" &quotDebug/modelfit.obj" &quotDebug/get_filename.obj" &quotDebug/fft.obj" &quotDebug/area.obj" &quotDebug/rotate.obj" &quotDebug/OpenDialog.obj" &quotDebug/math Dialog.obj" &quotDebug/Batch.obj" &quotDebug/threshold.obj" &quotDebug/graphicsmode.obj" &quotDebug/calibrate.obj" &quotDebug/version.obj" &quotDebug/star_median.obj" &quotDebug/new display.obj" &quotDebug/smooth.obj" &quotDebug/patch.obj" &quotDebug/Mask.obj" &quotDebug/Fcalibrate1.obj" &quotDebug/center.obj" &quotDebug/Normalize.obj" &quotDebug/history.obj" &quotDebug/delimn.obj" &quotDebug/AverageDialog.obj" &quotDebug/xp.obj" &quotDebug/save_filename.obj" &quotDebug/morley.obj" &quotDebug/getputcopy.obj" &quotDebug/flattendialog.obj" &quotDebug/Areal.obj" &quotDebug/TwoColorAreal.obj" &quotDebug/save_stripe_correction.obj" &quotDebug/MC.obj" &quotDebug/closedialog.obj" &quotDebug/BeamShift.obj" &quotDebug/map.obj" &quotDebug/scratch.obj" &quotDebug/GraphRead.obj" &quotDebug/Composite.obj" &quotDebug/AutoBeamShift.obj" &quotDebug/AlignDialog.obj" &quotDebug/volumefit.obj" &quotDebug/listmode.obj" &quotDebug/FCJoiner.obj" &quotDebug/applycalibration.obj" &quotDebug/TransformDialog.obj" &quotDebug/MaterialMask.obj" &quotDebug/Match.obj" &quotDebug/Get_data.obj" &quotDebug/Circle.obj" &quotDebug/yp.obj" &quotDebug/threeD_median.obj" &quotDebug/shift.obj" &quotDebugTwod.obj" &quotDebug/star_correction.obj" &quotDebug/mouse_event.obj" &quotDebug/Goydar.obj" &quotDebuggaussfit.obj" &quotDebug/comment.obj" &quotDebug/Box.obj" &quotDebug/arealdensity.obj" &quotDebug/slide.obj" &quotDebug/McGill.obj" &quotDebug/bitmap.obj" &quotDebug/Annotate.obj" &quotDebug/Slit.obj" &quotDebug/help.obj" &quotDebug/CameraStripe.obj" &quotDebug/autoFcalibrate.obj" &quotDebug/window.obj" &quotDebug/symmetrycorrection.obj" &quotDebug/script.obj" &quotDebug/nodisplay.obj" &quotDebug/Contour.obj" &quotDebug/idd_zscale.res"
]
Creating command line &quotLink @&quotD:DisplayBatchINTEL 9.09DebugRSP1.rsp""

Link: executing 'link'

Embedding manifest...
mt.exe /nologo /outputresource:&quotD:DisplayBatchINTEL 9.09debugnew display.exe;#1" /manifest &quotD:DisplayBatchINTEL 9.09debugnew display.exe.intermediate.manifest"

new display - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

That doesn't show me a compile, just the link.
0 Kudos
jjfait
Beginner

That doesn't show me a compile, just the link.
I must not have copied the whole BuildLog.htm

------ Build started: Project: new display, Configuration: Debug|Win32 ------

Compiling with Intel Fortran Compiler 10.0.025 [IA-32]...
ifort /nologo /Zi /Od /QaxN /Qpar_threshold:0 /fpp /Qopenmp /fpscomp:filesfromcmd /align:dcommons /align:sequence /names:uppercase /module:&quotDebug/" /object:&quotDebug/" /traceback /check:bounds /check:arg_temp_created /libs:qwin /dbglibs /c /Qvc8 /Qlocation,link,&quotC:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8VCbin" &quotD:DisplayBatchINTEL 9.09Tiff.f90"
ifort /nologo /Zi /Od /QaxN /Qpar_threshold:0 /fpp /Qopenmp /fpscomp:filesfromcmd /align:dcommons /align:sequence /names:uppercase /module:&quotDebug/" /object:&quotDebug/" /traceback /check:bounds /check:arg_temp_created /libs:qwin /dbglibs /c /Qvc8 /Qlocation,link,&quotC:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8VCbin" &quotD:DisplayBatchINTEL 9.09Batch.f90"
ifort /nologo /Zi /Od /QaxN /Qpar_threshold:0 /fpp /Qopenmp /fpscomp:filesfromcmd /align:dcommons /align:sequence /names:uppercase /module:&quotDebug/" /object:&quotDebug/" /traceback /check:bounds /check:arg_temp_created /libs:qwin /dbglibs /c /Qvc8 /Qlocation,link,&quotC:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8VCbin" &quotD:DisplayBatchINTEL 9.09listmode.f90"
Linking...

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You say you are new to Intel Visual Fortran, but you are using a three-year-old compiler. I suggest installing the current version 11.1 if you can. If not, please create a new project with your files added to it. Do not change any of the settings (you have added many optimization-type settings to the debug configuration, which is strange) and see if it works for you there. In fact, I'd recommend that in any case.
0 Kudos
jjfait
Beginner

You say you are new to Intel Visual Fortran, but you are using a three-year-old compiler. I suggest installing the current version 11.1 if you can. If not, please create a new project with your files added to it. Do not change any of the settings (you have added many optimization-type settings to the debug configuration, which is strange) and see if it works for you there. In fact, I'd recommend that in any case.
This is a current big project and I thought I could change a few options to get this to work. I would assume that many of the options were changed for a reason and I'm sure they would not like if I changed all of their options but I guess I could do for myself but I would have to do everytime a new version comes out. A new compiler is not an option at this time.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I was suggesting a new project as it would eliminate one possible source of problems. You would not have to do this each time a new version comes out. Ordinarily it would be as easy as just creating the project and adding all the source files (which can usually be done in a single operation.)

The particular version you're using has many known problems. Can you at least try a later update to 10.0?

Since you're using OpenMP, try the OpenMP "stubs" option to see if that helps. /QaxN should be removed from the debug configuration.
0 Kudos
jjfait
Beginner
The particular version you're using has many known problems. Can you at least try a later update to 10.0?
Since you're using OpenMP, try the OpenMP "stubs" option to see if that helps. /QaxN should be removed from the debug configuration.
So version 10.0.025 is worse than 10.0? Also can you tell me why using openMp stubs i get errors like kmpc_global_thread_num
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

10.0.025 is one of the updates of 10.0. I thought it was the first release, but on investigation I see it was a later update. In any case, that is no longer a supported version. I can't find your email address in our registration database so I don't know what you're eligible for.

If you specify OpenMP stubs you should not get linking errors as it should still link to the library (libguide.lib) that provides those routines.
0 Kudos
joetraff
Beginner
I have checked out the 10.0 version .
And It woks for me !!!!
Thanks for the suggestions ...
0 Kudos