Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28494 Discussions

Colorization lost in Fortran files in Visual Studio 2022

ferrad1
New Contributor I

I upgraded to VS 2022 17.4.4 / Intel Fortran Version 2021.8.0 Build 20221119_000000 a few weeks ago.  All went smoothly, but yesterday I lost colorization in the F90 files.  All just black on white.  I decided to uninstall and reinstall Fortran but to no avail.  My process was to uninstall Base Toolkit 2023 and HPC Toolkit 2023 (I also have 2022.2 versions from September last year, they must be from a previous version).

The installation procedure is not that clear on https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/oneapi/fortran-compiler.html

It seems "Get It Now" is the item to click.  This installed HPC only.  The colorization issue was still there.  I then uninstalled again and went back to this website and delved deeper to find the Base Toolkit installation, which I installed, and then the HPC again.  But I still have the colorization issue.  In fact there no Fortran entries in Tools -> Options -> Fonts and Colors -> Text Editor -> Display Items.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PeterPriestley
Beginner

I had the same experience, but when started VS2022 with 'Run As Administrator' the Intel Fortran integrations worked and the code window was colourized.  Perhaps you only need to do this first time as mine now seems to work either way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

When you updated to VS 2022 did you follow the instructions to configure VS correctly before you installed the HPC Toolkit?

Did you have color when you initially installed VS 2022 17.4.4 / Intel Fortran Version 2021.8.0? If so, what changed?

0 Kudos
PeterPriestley
Beginner

I had the same experience, but when started VS2022 with 'Run As Administrator' the Intel Fortran integrations worked and the code window was colourized.  Perhaps you only need to do this first time as mine now seems to work either way.

0 Kudos
ferrad1
New Contributor I

Perfect!  Worked like a charm, thanks !   ... Intel do your trick

0 Kudos