Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26730 Discussions

Fortran shared lib .so shows undefined symbol error

csH2
Beginner

Hi everyone I need help about a compilation issue.

I'm compiling a Fortran code to obtain shared library .so. In the code it uses a module. The compiling has no problem while it reports undefined symbol error when opening the .so library.

Code mesh_map.F are as follows:

#include "cfx5ext.h"

dllexport(mesh_map)
          SUBROUTINE mesh_map (CZ, DZ, IZ, LZ, RZ)
          USE EXTRA_FLUID2
          USE ISO_C_BINDING
          USE IFPORT
          IMPLICIT NONE
          CHARACTER*(1) CZ(*)
          DOUBLE PRECISION DZ(*)
          INTEGER IZ(*)
          LOGICAL LZ(*)
          REAL RZ(*)

MAP_STATUS = 1

END

extra_fluid2.f90:

Module EXTRA_FLUID2
    INTEGER :: map_status = 0
    end module EXTRA_FLUID2

Compiling command:

ifort -c extra_fluid2.f90

/home/xxx/intel/oneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/bin/intel64/ifort -fpic -assume 2underscore -check uninit -warn declarations -diag-error 6717 -ftz -O2 -fp-speculation=safe -fp-model=precise -fp-model=source -fimf-arch-consistency=true -qno-opt-dynamic-align -fpe0 -fomit-frame-pointer -real-size 32 -integer-size 32 -I/usr/ansys_inc/v192/CFX/include -o linux-amd64/ifort/mesh_map.o -c mesh_map.F 
-lrt/xxx/intel/oneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/bin/intel64/ifort -shared -o ./linux-amd64/ifort/libmesh_map.so linux-amd64/ifort/mesh_map.o extra_fluid2.o

When I check the .so library using:

ldd -r libmesh_map.so

The result shows as:

undefined symbol: extra_fluid2_mp_map_status__        (./libmesh_map.so)

How can I fix this? Thanks in advance.

I've tried compilation in Windows and no problem was found for the dll file. While in Linux it reports above error.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

When you compiled  mesh_map.F, you specified -assume 2underscore, but didn't specify that when compiling extra_fluid2.f90. This causes the global symbols to be inconsistent. Take that off.

I'm also puzzled by the "dllexport(meshmap)" in mesh_map.F. I have to assume that's a macro defined in the #include.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

When you compiled  mesh_map.F, you specified -assume 2underscore, but didn't specify that when compiling extra_fluid2.f90. This causes the global symbols to be inconsistent. Take that off.

I'm also puzzled by the "dllexport(meshmap)" in mesh_map.F. I have to assume that's a macro defined in the #include.

View solution in original post

csH2
Beginner

Thank you Steve! Yes, I think dllexport should be removed.

Barbara_P_Intel

dllexport is not required for Linux.  Here's more info.

csH2
Beginner