Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28494 Discussions

IFX: AND operator evaluates 2nd condition even if first one is FALSE

NasarAli
New Contributor I

IFORT does not have this issue.

In following statement dynamicarr is allocated when noption=1. This statement executed fine in IFORT but IFX gives access violation exception.

noption = 0
if (noption.eq.1 .and. dynamicarr(1).eq.0) then

Same exception occurs on optional parameter check. If optional parameter is not passed to a routine then following statement gives access violation exception.

if (PRESENT(ioptional) .AND. ioptional.gt.0) then

NasarAli_0-1714716707675.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Fortran as per the standard does not enforce short-circuiting such composite logical expressions. That it seems to have worked in IFORT is a mere coincidence. You should simply not rely on it, as it is quite possibly depending on the compiler options you use besides the complexity of the expression and many other things. Other languages do enforce this (C for instance) or have special operators (Ada, IIRC). There have been proposals for Fortran - operators like .andthen. and .orelse. But they are not part of any standard at this moment.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Fortran as per the standard does not enforce short-circuiting such composite logical expressions. That it seems to have worked in IFORT is a mere coincidence. You should simply not rely on it, as it is quite possibly depending on the compiler options you use besides the complexity of the expression and many other things. Other languages do enforce this (C for instance) or have special operators (Ada, IIRC). There have been proposals for Fortran - operators like .andthen. and .orelse. But they are not part of any standard at this moment.

mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Replace

if (noption.eq.1 .and. dynamicarr(1).eq.0) then

by

if (noption.eq.1) then
   if( dynamicarr(1).eq.0) then
end if

The compiler is allowed to evaluate expressions in any order, so sub-expressions should be possible to evaluate in any order.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Workarounds based on Fortran 2018 and earlier standards are shown upthread.

Starting Fortran 2023, the following will be an option given the conditional nature of the desired instructions:

if ( noption == 1 ? ( dynamicarr(1) == 0 ? .true : .false. ) : .false. ) then
if ( present(ioptional) ? ( ioptional > 0 ? .true. : .false. ) : .false. ) then

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Fortran 2023 adds conditional expressions that will help you here, once supported. For example,

if (noption .eq. 1?dynamicarr(1) .eq. 0) ...

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@Steve_Lionel wrote:

Fortran 2023 adds conditional expressions that will help you here, once supported. For example:

if (noption .eq. 1?dynamicarr(1) .eq. 0) ...

However, the standard requires a clause for when `scalar-logical-expr' (e.g., the expression "noption .eq. 1") evaluates to `false`:

ce.PNG

Thus a colon and a following expr is required, say the following lines, making the statement a bit more verbose than a Fortranner might be prone to presume:

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Right - I missed that. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

This will be a beast to debug, @mecej4 is the best solution for maintainability and not obscureness. 

It is like LISP without the elegance. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I expect most uses will be as expressions in assignments rather than if-then.  Conditional arguments are a related feature that have some interesting use cases.

0 Kudos
NasarAli
New Contributor I

Thank you to all for providing the alternatives.

The issue is that, it was working in IFORT but failed in IFX.

I am working on large code base and the alternatives will be my last option.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

@NasarAliwrote:

Thank you to all for providing the alternatives.

The issue is that, it was working in IFORT but failed in IFX.

I am working on large code base and the alternatives will be my last option.

I think that you are making a grave mistake here. If the code base that you are working on may be used to generate results that will be utilized to manufacture a product, deliver a service or to support decisions that may affect someone's life or a company's viability, and something unfortunate happens as a result of not fixing this bug, you are at risk of being blamed. The risk is higher because you have been informed of the risk and choose to ignore the risk.

You are wrong in concluding that "it was working in IFORT but failed in IFX". A program that does not produce error messages is not necessarily a correct program.

Here is a short program to drive home my points. Run it four times (i) ifort /Od, (ii) ifort /O2, (iii) ifx /Od and (iv) ifx /O2. Compare the results. My challenge to you: Which of those four runs is "correct" and what is your justification for your selection?

! demonstrate risk of assuming short circuit evaluation
program shCircBool
   implicit none
   integer :: ij(1) = [1]
   integer k
   call sub(ij,1,k)
   print *,'2 ',k
end program

subroutine sub(ij,n,k)
   implicit none
   integer n,ij(n),k
   k = -1
   if(n.gt.1.or.ij(n+1).gt.0)k=1
   return
end subroutine

NasarAli
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Ah, that is the one! I could not find it before, when I posted my reply :).

0 Kudos