Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28501 Discussions

Module-level variables not visible in debugger in Visual Studio 2022 v17.7

MDThomas
Beginner

I am running into an issue debugging Fortran code in Visual Studio 2022 version 17.7 with the Intel oneAPI v2023.2.1 compiler. Module-level variables are not appearing as visible (or are showing incorrect values) in the debugger when stopping at a breakpoint in a subroutine of that module. However, variables that are locally-defined in the subroutine are visible, as are those variables imported with the “use” command. This problem appears to be specific to VS2022 version 17.7 since I did not have this problem with my previous installation of version 17.4 with the oneAPI v2023.0.0. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Module Variables that are referenced are usually viewable but I have known glitches in that using 'module-name'::'variable-name'  in the watch window can be used as a workaround and for vars not currently directly referenced in the routine. 

0 Kudos
MDThomas
Beginner

Hi Andrew. Thank you very much indeed for your response. Your workaround works and I can now view the variables in the watch window using the syntax you suggested. This will certainly help for the time being. When you have encountered the same problem, do you know if there was a way of fully resolving the issue? Or did you simply wait for an updated version of the program? Thank you again. 

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

There is a preview update of VSIX installer for the latest FEE Visual Studio extension for VS 17.7.x that fixes some debugger issues. I do not know if this issue addressed. See this thread for more information.

If you still have an issue, please post a reproducer.

FYI... this article lists the VS versions that we validate for each release. 

0 Kudos
wangxla
Beginner

wow, the method was used for my problem.Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
MDThomas
Beginner

Hi wangxla. Which problem was fixed for you: the problem I described in my initial post at the top, or the one posted in this thread? Thanks for any information. 

0 Kudos
MDThomas
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. I have just been able to try the VSIX installer you provided a link to, but unfortunately this has not corrected the issue I am having with the module-level variables not being visible in the debugger. Thanks again, though.  

0 Kudos