Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

OneAPI 2023 Fortran IDE integration problems

publiusrgj
Novice

I recently installed the previous 2022.2.1 versions of the C and Fortran compilers, standalone packages.  I had problems with VS2019,  due to previous installs, but integration worked fine with VS2022, so I could live with that.

I then tried to install the latest 2023 compilers. Very strange behavior with Fortran. The C++ compiler integrations appear to work fine, but not for Fortran. No error messages were displayed during installation, and the install appeared to be successful. 

However, the integrations don't work. There is no Fortran compilers listed under the Tools/Options menu for OneApi. The C++ compilers are there, but no Fortran. The "Fortran Expression Evaluator" extension is listed as installed. 

VS 2022 will not recognize any Fortran projects. Uninstalling and going back to the 2022.2.1 integrations again works.

Another problem is with the 2022.2.1 Fortran integrations. VS 2022 will not exit or close, once a Fortran project has been loaded. I have to kill VS2022 via Task Manager.  I then discovered I could used the "unload project" function to unload the Fortran project, and then VS 2022 would close/exit properly. 

I have tried this with 3 different machines I have with VS 2022 installed, one a completely clean system with only VS 2022 installed, and no previous Intel compiler products ever installed. Same problem with the Fortran integrations. 

This is the latest version of VS 2022, 17.4.3, and Windows 10 21H2 with all the updates so far. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Richard, thank you for reaching out to us. We will move this thread to the respective forum for support on your encountered issue.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

First, the issue with the 2022.2.1 and VS2022 exiting is fixed in the 2023.0 compiler install. My suggestion is to uninstall Fortran and try again installing the 2023 package. VS integration is a complicated thing and sometimes there are transient problems such as this.

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

Steve,

Thanks. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, repairing afterwards, and the problem is still there. The 2023 Fortran integration just won't work. This has happened on 3 different machines here I've tried it on.  My main machine here has two separate installs of Windows 10 on different partitions, and I've tried this under both -- same problem.

The only thing I haven't tried is doing it under a virtual machine install. I may play around with a Win10 VM and see if I can it to install properly under it. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Usually what I suggest then is uninstalling the Intel product and Visual Studio, then reinstalling. Make sure you configure VS2022 with the "Desktop Development with C++" option as described at Installing Microsoft Visual Studio* for Use with Intel® Compilers

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

Thanks. I will try a complete uninstall of everything on a laptop and then try to install the 2023 version clean and see if that works. Here on my main machine, I've got so much stuff installed (multiple versions of Visual Studio) that would be a very laborious process -- it would take a long time, and who knows what other problems with everything else might get triggered. If it works on the laptop, I might bite the bullet. 

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but I have Visual Studio 2022 Preview installed as well. I just noticed that both OneApi products, 2022.2.1 and the new 2023, both seem to install themselves in the Preview version as well. So I wonder if that's what's messing up somehow. I'll find out tonight on that laptop I mentioned. I will not install the Preview version there and see what happens.

Again, thanks. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Intel does not support preview versions of VS. I know at least one person here who runs those and he often reports issues.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@publiusrgj 

VS 2022 17.4.2 or 17.4.3 works with the latest oneAPI 2023 Toolkit. 

Please see this documentation for VS compatibility.

I suggest that you uninstall the older oneAPI version and install the latest 2023 oneAPI.  If you have other versions of Visual Studio installed on your system, during the installation you can deselect them at the IDE integration  step. 

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

Tonight I'm going to try it on a laptop (my wife uses it during the day, and I can play with it tonight), with a clean and pristine install of VS 2022 17.14.3 and nothing else.

I'm thinking the VS 2022 Preview may be the problem. During the install, selecting integrate with VS 2022 seems to make no distinction between the Preview and regular version and attempts to install to both. I just noticed that this afternoon.  Again, that may be the trouble. 

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

Still no luck. Fortran 2023 integrations still aren't there.  I got to digging. Under the OneAPI install folder, path (Root)\IntelOneAPI\compiler_ide\2023.0\windows\ide_support\VS17, there is no Fortan subfolder, with the FortranCompilerPkgs.vsix file. This exists for the working 2022.2.1 version.

Also, I remembered that later versions of VS use their own private registry hive files, which they load only when running. I loaded that hive in Registry Editor, and got to looking. For the 2023.0 install attempt, there is no "Fortran" (I forget exactly what's named) under the Extension manager installed extensions key. 

So that confirms that's not getting properly installed.

At this point, I'm wondering if this is some sort of install path problem. On all attempts, with all three machines I've tried it on, I'm using a custom install path, on another hard drive rather than the default Program Files(x86) on the Windows drive.  I think I recall seeing someone reporting a problem with using a non-default install path. 

So, I'm once again going to uninstall everything, then reinstall and let the OneAPI installer use the default path location and see if that works.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@publiusrgj  

" working 2022.2.1 version" - working with which version of Visual Studio? Did you try the suggestion to uninstall oneAPI 2022.2 and then install oneAPI 2023 with Visual Studio 2022 17.4? How did that go?

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

Something came up this weekend and I haven't had a chance to play around.  I did get all Intel OneAPI products uninstalled from this "test laptop" (nothing but VS 2019 and 2022 installed).  I may get  chance to install 2023 clean on top of that, using the default path as I planned.

I will report back with results when I get it. Again, thanks to all.

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

Still no luck. Same problem. Fortran integrations aren't present in either VS 2019 or VS 2022, while the C++ compiler integrations are. This was for a completely pristine install of VS 2019 and 2022, latest regular versions (no preview versions installed). The Fortran installer reported no errors

I'm attaching the log file output below as a .rar archive.  This is two directories under the temporary file tree created by the installers.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@publiusrgj  - thank you for the logs. Please also paste here the info from 

Inside VS click Help > About Microsoft Visual Studio. 

Make sure that is the version of Visual Studio that was checked during oneAPI installation. Also,  are you able to access Fortran compilers from  oneAPI command line prompt from the Start menu?

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

I'm attaching another .rar archive. There are two subfolders, named VS2019 and VS2022. The file named "AboutOut.txt" is the output of the About dialog in VS 2019 and VS 2022, both of which I attempted to install the 2023.0 Fortran integrations. 

I've also included copies of the private registry hive file for each installation under the subfolder for each, as well as a screen shot of the directory tree under the compiler_ide folders of the OneAPI installation tree from File Explorer. This shows no "Fortran" subfolder is there. 

The Fortran compilers work from the command line. They are all installed and appear to be working fine. The problem seems to be just the IDE integrations won't install properly. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

@publiusrgj , I assume from reading this set of posts that @Steve_Lionel  is referring to me as the person who moves onto the edge of the surfboard and does things that in hindsight may not be sensible.  

At the moment I have the same problem with VS2019,  but not VS 2022. 

If you can live with just using a DOS type window, I would live with that, if however it drives you crazy, then you are at the stage of nuking windows and starting again.  With Windows 11 preview, you are looking at about 6 hours to do a reasonable install of all the programs, and hopefully you have documents on another drive.  Install the VS first and then the Intel and then all else you need. 

Once the VSIX files break in IDE installation, there is no going back, they are just to complicated and arcane. 

It is the fastest way, just painful.  You will spend more hours trying to fix it than just biting the bullet. 

Sorry.

John 

This happens and occasionally the boat sinks.  

I am assuming you can do the Windows install and can make a decision on your preferred style or forced style depending on the computer.  

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

John,

Thanks.  I hope my last post below clarifies. On what I'm calling my "main machine" (custom built desktop, a few years old, ASRock mo/bo, i5-9600K CPU), I realized the only way to get the latest OneAPI products working for everything would be a complete reinstall of Windows. I'm running Win 10, 22H2, and haven't bitten the bullet on Win 11 yet.  But it works under VS 2022, at least the previous One API 2022.2.1 version.

I've got two installs of Windows 10 on different partitions, which I do in case the one get hosed, and maybe I can boot the other and fix things.  I may just bite the bullet and do a complete reinstall of one of those. 

But this problem I stumbled on with the Fortran IDE integrations with 2023.0 seems to be something independent, as I have the same problem, even on the laptop which had no VS or Intel (or anything else) installed previously. 

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@publiusrgj 

Thank you for the logs and outputs. 

"I had problems with VS2019,  due to previous installs"

Can you elaborate on this - do you have any older versions of oneAPI or Parallel Studio XE installed? 

Also, you mentioned that you have attempted on 3 different machines.  The other 2 machines - did you try clean install of VS 2022 + oneAPI 2023 only (no other VS versions or previous oneAPI or Parallel Studio XE versions installed on those machines).

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

Yeah,  the three machines and my descriptions are probably confusing. Let me clarify:  My main machine, the one I use has a bunch of developer tools installed, multiple versions of VS (going back to 2015), some old Parallel Studio versions and other tools. Big mess.  I was wanting to do something in Fortran, and noticed the newer OneAPI products. I downloaded the OneAPI 2002.2.1 packages, C++ and Fortran stand-alone packages and installed them. It would not integrate with VS 2019, due to the previous Parallel Studio problem (which I've read about here, and understand), but it did work under VS 2022. 

Then the OneAPI 2023 version came out, and I downloaded those and attempted to install, and noticed this problem where the Fortran integrations didn't "take".  And that started the topic of this post. At that point, just to see, I attempted to install on both of the other machines in turn to see what would happen. One is an HP laptop, the other is an HP desktop, the latter being just about 1 year old. Neither had any versions of Visual Studio or any other developer tools, compilers, etc installed at all. Both had this same problem with the Fortran integrations from 2023.0

The above logs and stuff are from the install attempt on that laptop. This had a pristine install of VS 2019 and VS 2022 done just a few days ago to test this, and then the attempt to install OneAPI 2023.0 clean, with no previous versions of any Intel compiler packages.  The HP desktop had VS studio 2019 and 2022 installed for several months, but no Intel products either.

On both the other two, I can uninstall the IDE integrations from 2023, then install (or reinstall) the 2022.2.1 integrations and that works fine. On the HP desktop it works for both VS 2019 and VS 2022 perfectly.  On my main machine here, it works with VS 2022 only, and not 2019, because of the older version problem -- I don't even attempt to install the 2019 integrations on that. 

So, bottom line, we can work with the HP laptop, which has the most clean and pristine starting installs. If we can figure out what's wrong there, I'll worry about the others later. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

HP laptop - which model, which CPU and what current software? What order did you install software.

Sorry can we do this slowly.

0 Kudos
publiusrgj
Novice

This is an HP Notebook, model 15-da0032wm. Dates to about 2018, IIRC. CPU is a Core i3-8130U, Sky Lake, with 12GB memory installed. Running Windows 10, 22H2.  16GB Optane memory there as well. Installed software is not that much, MS Office 2010 (yeah, I quit the word processor, etc upgrade game long ago. Word processors reached enough features for me in 2000) biggest package, Chrome and Firefox browsers.

When starting this test to see if OneAPI 2023 would work there, I installed VS 2019 and VS 2022, all the latest versions. Then, from that clean install state, I attempted to install the standalone 2023.0 C++ and Fortran packages. The C++ integrations work fine. Fortran is not there, although if you looked at those files I uploaded, you can see the Fortran expression evaluator extension claims to be installed. But nothing at the other stuff. Visual Studio doesn't recognize any Fortran project types are anything.

0 Kudos