Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Porting HP9000 FORTRAN to IFORT - Logical Operations

JP_SECTOR7_COM
New Contributor I

With HP announcing the death of HP/UX on Itanium here are some porting tips

Logical Operations.

HP FORTRAN considers ZERO to be FALSE and NON ZERO to be TRUE.

IFORT considers bit 0 as the TRUE FALSE indicator (22 is FALSE on IFORT but TRUE on HP FORTRAN)

FPT (Fortran Porting Partner) can 100% automatically remediate HP9000 FORTRAN for IFORT compatible syntax and semantics.

FPT can also remediate non standard and extended HP FORTRAN intrinsics to IFORT.

Jon Power

Sector7 USA

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This one is easy - compile with /fpscomp:logicals or /standard-semantics. 

mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Jon, wouldn't your customers be happier if the ported code that you produced for them did not need to know anything about the bit-representations of .TRUE. and .FALSE.? What is the bit representation that Gfortran will use when it is ported to Apple's M1 Silicon?

0 Kudos
JP_SECTOR7_COM
New Contributor I

gfortran default logicals are 0 - false, <>0 true.

we do all our development on Mac's (LOVE Xcode) but do not see these huge multi user applications going to the M1 - or any Mac - not even the pro.

**bleep** shame that ifortran stopped supporting Xcode - life was PERFECT with xcode and BSD4.3

Now we have to use the linux command line gdb - like being back in the stone age.

I simply don't know why every unix shop doesn't develop on Macs and deploy on linux - Xcode - is light years ahead of the alternatives.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

simply don't know why every unix shop doesn't develop on Macs and deploy on linux - Xcode - is light years ahead of the alternatives.

I do not know how to explain this simply, but you are on the wrong forum. This forum is about Intel Fortran. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Apple never allowed Intel to add module dependency analysis to Xcode. Debugger support from within Xcode was also problematic. It would not astonish me to see Intel "deprecate" Mac support in the next few years, especially as fewer Macs have Intel processors.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Is there actually much demand for Fortran on Mac? It seems a strange combo to me.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes - a lot of engineering computing departments (NASA for one) uses Macs for development. Deployment is typically on Linux clusters. When I was with Intel, we would get frequent requests for better Mac support. I don't think coarrays are supported there still.

0 Kudos
JP_SECTOR7_COM
New Contributor I

Excellent -- I suspect there are going to be 1000-1500 large fortran applications currently running on HPUX that will need to be migrated and I'd like to see them move to Intel fortran rather than gfortran.

EOL for itanium and HP/UX is December 31, 2025 

Luckily HP/UX also has a number of non standard features (go figure)

/Jon

0 Kudos