Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

VS 2022 version 17.4 problems

van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

We were using Visual Studio 2022 version 17.3.6 without any issue. After upgrading to version 17.4, once we open our solution, we experience this issues:

- Clicking the top right close button does nothing.

- Clicking File, Exit or pressing Alt-F4 does notthing.

- Clicking File, Close Solution does nothing.

I have logged it with VS Feedback but they are likely going to close it as an external issue (i.e.  Fortran integration problem).

Other than not closing, it still can build and debug and recognize Fortran projects inside the solution without issue. You just cant close the solution or exit Visual Studio.

Oh, doing a Repair does NOT fix it.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

You need to do a modify on the VS install and rollback.  There is a picture on this site from Barbara at Intel. 

Everyone has a coke zero mistake allowed.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

@JohnNichols , I can't take credit for the picture on this thread. That was @Devorah_H_Intel . She's a VS Pro!

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

My apologies to Devorah, I was recalling from memory and as ones get older memory fades........

I should have supplied a picture when I made the observation, blame late nights and a lot of coding.  

And the continuing battle with Intel UHD graphics -- version 31.0.101.3790, which has finally been caught up on all but the Dell site.  

Your experts said to install the laptops drivers from Dell, but the dell version will not install, only the Intel website download the install exe finally worked.  Maximum PC said your graphics drivers for the new systems were buggy, but it has been fun. 

Intel graphics can be a pain.  

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I have always had a theory that the flush toilet was invented by someone using Intel Fortran, but now I know so 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/how-to-build-a-gaming-pc.html 

0 Kudos
tashker__michael
Beginner

My experience exactly. It's a timely tribute to the new 17.4 'Rollback' feature. Works!

0 Kudos
van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

Steve, my concern is that Microsoft may just close the issue I logged with them as "Closed - Other Product". See this issue for example: Intel Fortran 2022 integration requires Visual Studio repair before working - Visual Studio Feedback

The issue I logged with them about the new problem in 17.4 is here: Cannot close VS2022 - neither window close or File Exit works - Visual Studio Feedback.  I shall provide the additional  information they requested.

I have logged an Intel Support ticket about the integration issues. Case #05657341.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I have no doubt that this is an Intel problem, though probably caused by an undocumented change by Microsoft. Intel will figure it out.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

What a life solving problems like this, a day spent at St Vith on 23 December 1944 would be more fun. 

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Yes, it was escalated to VS Integration engineering. Tracker CMPLRIL0-35038 

UPDATE: Fixed in oneAPI 2023 coming soon.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I say again for the integration engineering ==  a day spent at St Vith on 23 December 1944 would be more fun. 

0 Kudos
van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

The rollback works as a temporary workaround. But we can't remain in 17.3.6 forever,  this will have to be fixed. Raised with intel as Service Request#:05657341.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Intel fix everything in the end, they are god,  sorry good. 

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

I looked at the case you have mentioned.  The issue with closing solution is fixed in the upcoming oneAPI 2023 release. I have tested your solution and was able to build, run and close it. 

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Please see Ron's post about VS2022 v17.4.x and the Intel compilers.

0 Kudos