Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

VS2022 mouse hover doesn't the variable value

Shuang_Geo
Beginner

Hello, everyone! I just installed the VS 2022 Community and the oneAPI base toolkit,  oneAPI HPC Toolkit. But when I use this to debug my fortran program and set a breakpoint, this program stops at the breakpoint, but I can't see the value of these variables. Anyone has ideas about that?

8 Replies
Alessandro_D_
New Contributor I
I observed exactly the same problem as you describe. To see the value of a variable you can type the name in the immediate window and press return. However, it would be useful to have the mouse hovering feature available.
0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

What is the version of VS installed? 

I tested with supported Version 17.1 and hovering works.

0 Kudos
Alessandro_D_
New Contributor I

I have VS 2022 Community and the oneAPI base toolkit,  oneAPI HPC Toolkit, installed in March 2022. Everything works OK but not the mouse feature

0 Kudos
NeilMc
Beginner

We ran into this problem - we managed to fix it by updating to the latest version of VS2022 - which was 17.5.5

0 Kudos
bharathswami
Beginner

Hi

If it helps,

I ran into the same issue when debugging in Visual Studio on a Remote System. For that, under "Debug"->"Options...". Load Debug Symbols in External Process (Native Only) needs to be unchecked.

Accept and Upvote my answer if it helps.

Thanks and Regards

Bharath

jackosullivan2

Worked like a charm!  Wish I'd found your answer several days ago!

Thank you, Bharath.

Using Intel Fortran Compiler 2023.2 in VS2022 Version 17.7.6

0 Kudos
hkvzjal
New Contributor I

Hi,

I just observed the same problem with MVS2022 (17.7.6)  and had to manually change the options using the solution proposed by @bharathswami to get the value of variables when hovering over.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

2024 Intel Fortran Compiler release will have a better support for later versions of VS 17.7 and this is one of the issues that is fixed in that  version.