Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

Why is not Fortran listed in Visual Studio 2022

Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have reinstalled Win10 64-bit, downloaded VS2022 , oneAPI Base Toolkit and oneAPI HPC kit with no apparent problem. So far so good.

When I want to create a new Fortran QuickWin project, Fortran is not on the language listing!

I will run MPIfort from the command line, so maybe QuickWin is not needed. Anyhow, I have to find a command line project. How?

Best regards

Anders S

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Screenshot 2023-03-23 123851.png

It looks like this on the current version of VS 2022 as long as you are not using the preview and you set up the VS correctly with the correct units installed.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Screenshot 2023-03-23 123851.png

It looks like this on the current version of VS 2022 as long as you are not using the preview and you set up the VS correctly with the correct units installed.  

Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi John,

Many thanks for a quick reply!

Can you be more specific! When you install VS2022 you have to tick a number of boxes. Which boxes are

necessary for Fortran projects?

With VS installed, installation of Base Tool kit and HPC kit do not ask for choice of Fortran, or does it?

Anyhow, Fortran is not listed in the language list, nor is the project templates that you showed.

Best regards

Anders S

0 Kudos
Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi John and Steve,

Thanks both for rapid replies!

I had clicked some C++ boxes by mistake, when I installed VS 2022. Reinstalling VS 2022 gave the correct presentation of

Fortran and the QuickWin project!

Best regards

Anders S

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

My apologies, but it is interesting to know that most things are answered on this forum already for things like how to install VS, it is much quicker to do a simple search on THIS FORUM.  

Good luck with your projects.  

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Note that, at the moment, QuickWin isn't supported for 64-bit targets. There's no good reason for this I can see and found a workaround I posted in another thread. That said, QuickWin still shows up as a new project type for me as well. Make sure you have the language dropdown selected as Fortran.

Steve_Lionel_0-1679593746266.png

0 Kudos
AONym
New Contributor II

Be sure you have the current version of VS2022. There was a bug in a recent version that no project templates were listed.

0 Kudos