Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Dose the lasted GPA support Vulkan games?

descosmos
Beginner

Recently, I had use GPA to open a game which use vulkan.  I noticed the mention in For Vulkan* Applications . I tried to disable the Intel(R) UHD and use NVIDIA GTX 1080 only,  moreover, i built a game which use unreal engine 4.26.2.  

Here is my enviroment:

Operating System:
Name: Windows 10 Version 2009 (OS Build 19045.3324)
Locale: zh-CN
Secure Boot/Trusted Boot is enabled

CPU Information:
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Architecture: x64
Cores count: 12

System BIOS:
Version: Dell Inc. 1.1.6
Date: 04/01/2019

GPU #1 Information:
Name: vgwdrv driver
Driver Version: 5.1.0.0
Driver Date: 8-2-2013

GPU #2 Information:
Name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
Vendor id: 0x8086
Product id: 0x3E92
Driver Version: 30.0.101.1994
Driver Date: 5-13-2022

GPU #3 Information:
Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Vendor id: 0x10DE
Product id: 0x1B80
Stepping: 161
Driver Version: 31.0.15.2225
Driver Date: 10-6-2022

Machine:
Name: SK-20210706LVQU
Memory: 32574 MB
Screen: 1920x1080, 32 bit

Graphics Performance Analyzers:
Version: 23.2.1686276958
Commit hash: fbb84559
Installation folder: D:\intel_gpa\analyzer\

QQ截图20230906111223.png

However, gpa  told me a fatal occured.  

So, I just wonder does the gpa support games using vulkan?   How can i get "Vertex Count" of one vulkan game?

I'll be appreciate if someone can help me.  Thank you very much!!!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Pamela_H_Intel

oops . . . my bad, so sorry . . . that capture command should have capture, not capture-layer -- should be:

./gpa-injector.exe --layer hud-layer --layer capture-layer <your/application.exe> -- -vulkan -ResX=1290 -ResY=720 -WINDOWED

Try that and get back to me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Pamela_H_Intel

descosmos,

Yes, GPA supports Vulkan workloads.

It would be good to get a better idea of where the first failure occurs...do you mind trying to capture/playback from the command line? (Go to the Intel GPA download page, scroll down, download and install GPA Framework - this is our cli tool - the back end to Graphics Frame Analyzer).

Note, for all the following steps, you can drag/drop any .exe or directory from Windows Explorer to paste its full path into pretty much any terminal.

cd <your/gpa/install/directory>/Streams/

./gpa-injector.exe --layer hud-layer --layer capture-layer <your/application.exe> -- -vulkan -ResX=1290 -ResY=720 -WINDOWED

If that works, your application should come up with the GPA HUD which should indicate that the selected API is Vulkan and GPA is recording.

After ending the application, the recorded stream should be saved in...

<drive>:/Users/<username>/Documents/GPA/

Now try playing back the stream...

./gpa-player.exe <your/stream>

If that works, try repeating a frame using the frame index from the GPA HUD to identify a frame of interest...

./gpa-player.exe -r 100 -f <frame>

If that works, try opening that stream and frame in Frame Analyzer.

Please let us know if/where it fails.

Pamela

P.S. Also note that if you disable the Intel GPU you will not get any of the HW counter data. Most often you can capture on your NVIDIA GPU, then, to see all the HW data, select the Intel GPU - top left in Graphics Frame Analyzer - before opening the frame.

0 Kudos
descosmos
Beginner

I'm so appreciated for your sincere relpy!    As you mentioned, the result is listed below.

D:\intel_gpa\framework\bin\Release>.\gpa-injector.exe --layer hud-layer --layer capture-layer "D:\projects\unity\fps microgame\build\fps_microgame.exe" -- -vulkan -ResX=1290 -ResY=720 -WINDOWED
[GPA] I 6208 Waiting for injector to exit...
[GPA] I 6208 Waiting for process to exit...
[GPA] I 21684 INITIALIZE: fps_microgame.exe
[GPA] I 21684  GPA_LAYER_PATH environment variable is not set or does not exist, using default layers only
[GPA] E 21684 LoadLayerEx() encountered error (126) trying to load layer: D:\intel_gpa\framework\bin\Release\layers\capture-layer-x64.dll
[GPA] I 21684 Found layer: D:\intel_gpa\framework\bin\Release\layers\hud-layer-x64.dll
[GPA] I 21684 HUD Layer loaded!
[GPA] I 21684 Found layer: D:\intel_gpa\framework\bin\Release\layers\context-control-x64.dll
done
[GPA] I 21684 Hooking Vulkan...done
[GPA] I 21684 Hooking DirectX...done
[GPA] I 21684 Hooking D3DCompiler...done
done
[GPA] I 21684 Hooking OpenCL...done
[GPA] I 21684 Waiting for injector to exit...

I saw the applicarion of "fps_microgame.exe" was launched by gpa-injector,  but after i closed the game, there are not record stream in   <drive>:/Users/<username>/Documents/GPA/.

So, could you mind tell me how to do in the next?   Thank you~

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

oops . . . my bad, so sorry . . . that capture command should have capture, not capture-layer -- should be:

Try that and get back to me.

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

We haven't heard from you in a while. Did your issue resolve? Did you try the edited command?

0 Kudos
descosmos
Beginner

Sorry, i was too busy to reply it. Yeah, i tried it again as you mentioned before, It worked well.   Sincerely thanks for you kind help.

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Awesome. No problem. I'm glad it's working.

0 Kudos