Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas
489 Discussions

GPA Frame Analyzer can't open frame from DX9 game "An unexpected error occurred."

AkibaSeth
Beginner

Hello everyone, i just found out recently that seem like the GPA Frame Analyzer can't not open the frame i capture in the game anymore, this will pop up everytime i'm trying to open any frame i'm capture from the game

Untitled-2.png

Although when i'm testing it around November 2022 it still work so i'm not sure if it because the 22.4 version cause this

I will attachment the log file file found in "C:\Users\**\Documents\GPA\Logs\FrameAnalyzer" it said something about "m_p_open_file_progress"

Please help me fix this problem, thank you for reading

The necessary information of my environment as follows:

Operating System:
 Name: Windows 10 Version 2009 (OS Build 19045.2486)
 Locale: en-US
 Secure Boot/Trusted Boot is disabled

CPU Information:
 Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz
 Architecture: x64
 Cores count: 8

System BIOS:
 Version: American Megatrends Inc. F9
 Date: 10/15/2019

GPU #1 Information:
 Name: Parsec Virtual Display Adapter
 Driver Version: 0.41.0.0
 Driver Date: 9-14-2022

GPU #2 Information:
 Name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
 Vendor id: 0x10DE
 Product id: 0x1E89
 Stepping: 161
 Driver Version: 31.0.15.2802
 Driver Date: 12-22-2022

Machine:
 Name: DESKTOP-AS699GV
 Memory: 32699 MB
 Screen: 1920x1080, 32 bit

Graphics Performance Analyzers:
 Version: 22.4.1671828264
 Commit hash: 4acd1c27
 Installation folder: C:\Program Files\IntelSWTools\GPA\

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Windows 10 2009 was more than two years ago.   Update to 22H2, and try again.  Probably will not fix anything, but at least you will supported.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
AkibaSeth
Beginner

You're right, just update it, it not fix anything but at least i'm being supported now lol

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

AkibaSeth - thanks for providing the great info.

I noticed you are running on an NVIDIA GPU. Usually the processor has onboard graphics, but I don't see that in the i7-9700f specs, whereas if I look at the i7-9700, I see the onboard graphics is Intel Core UHD 630 - the iGPU. Also, I don't see an iGPU in the GPA GPU list. We work hard to make GPA work across platforms, but we don't guarantee it will work for AMD and NVIDIA systems. And that is especially hard to guarantee for DX9. But . . .

Try this:

• change to stream mode in Graphics Monitor - lower right dropdown in Graphics Monitor
  • capture a stream
  • open the stream, BUT DON'T open a frame yet
  • after the stream is open, you should be in the multi-frame view of Graphics Frame Analyzer (GFA)
  • on the top left of GFA you can see the GPU - if you click on it, you will see a list of GPUs - choose the Intel iGPU (if you see a UHD Graphics option) . . . if you do have a UHD selection, select it and try to open a frame.

<< OR >>

try opening the stream/frame on a platform with Intel Graphics.

Eventually you may have to upgrade to a newer Graphics API.

0 Kudos
AkibaSeth
Beginner

Thank you so much for the reply but sadly it seem like the work around using stream mode doesn't work with DX9 game :<
I kinda curious is there anyway that i can downgrade GPA to older version because i'm remember it still work 2 month ago so i want to try back the old version to see if it still work for me or not

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Unfortunately, we don't make previous versions of GPA available.

Can you try opening the frame on an Intel platform?

Also, some of our customers who are using DX9 are using some 32-bit apps in their workloads. If you are using any 32-bit apps in your game, there is little to no chance that GPA will open a frame.

I don't know your restrictions or how big your code base is, but most of our customers are using DX11, so if you can upgrade your Graphics API, there is a better chance that GPA will support your work.

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Clarifying - open frame/stream on Intel platform - I mean any processor that has onboard graphics.

0 Kudos