Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2163 Discussions

Intel MPI - mpiexec doesn't run with -hosts

Avi7
Beginner

I installed Intel MPI Library (2021.10.0.49373) on my head node (hostname=ATS) and the two compute nodes (ATS1 and ATS2). I installed and started the hydra_service on all of them using "hydra_service -install".

Before running the actual program I wish to run parallely, I tried to test the set-up using a simple program.

I started by running the simple command on the head node in powershell:

mpiexec -n 2 hostname

which gave the expected output:

ATS

ATS

The problem started after this, when I actually tried to test the compute nodes using:

mpiexec -n 2 -ppn 1 -hosts ATS1,ATS2 hostname

This command neither produced any error nor did it produce any output.

I tried running with -genv I_MPI_Debug=6 (and 1 and 5), but they also did not produce any output.

I even tried running it only on the head node with the -hosts command, but that too did not produce any output (mpiexec -n 1 -hosts ATS hostname).

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Anytime I try to run it with -hosts or -f hostfile, I just get a blank screen in cmd/powershell. I have to kill the process using Ctrl+C which produces the output:

[mpiexec@ATS] Sending Ctrl-C to processes as requested

[mpiexec@ATS] Press Ctrl-C again to force abort

I have checked in services on all the nodes that "impi_hydra_2021_10_0" is running.

Request your help in figuring out what is going wrong.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
RabiyaSK_Intel

Hi,

We apologize for the delay in response. We are still looking into it.

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
Rafael_L_Intel
Employee

Hello Avi7,

What is the output of 

Get-Item WSMan:\localhost\Client\TrustedHosts

Are all the hosts properly authenticated and have WinRM running?

Cheers,

Rafael

0 Kudos
Avi7
Beginner

Output:

WSManConfig: Microsoft.WSMan.Management\WSMan::localhost\Client
Type            Name              SourceofValue       Value
----            ----              -------------       -----
System.String   TrustedHosts                          ATS1,ATS2,ATS

Are all the hosts properly authenticated and have WinRM running? 

Yes and Yes

0 Kudos
Rafael_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Avi7,

Unfortunatelly we are unable to reproduce the error you are seeing. The steps provided (i.e. install and enable WinRM service and add the hostnames to the TrustedHosts list) was tested in our instances and provides the expected results in our machines. 

I suggest you to contact your OS support and check the configuration of the machines. This might be linked to the fact that you need to provide the credentials, as you explained earlier (which is not the case in our systems).

Cheers,

Rafael

0 Kudos