Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

MPI_Init failure on Windows 10

BLH
Beginner

I'm using MPI 2021.10 on Windows 10 Pro and trying to get the benchmark examples running on a single process, in particular the one in benchmarks\imb\WINDOWS\IMB-MPI1_VS_2017.  I am using VS2019 though but the project upgraded fine.

I'm getting a failure in MPI_Init:

C:\PF(x86)\Intel\oAPI\m\2021.10.0\benchmarks\i\W\I-M1_V_2017\x64\Debug> IMB-MPI1.exe
Abort(1090959) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in PMPI_Init_thread: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(176)........:
MPID_Init(1548)..............:
MPIDI_OFI_mpi_init_hook(1554):
(unknown)(): Other MPI error
[unset]: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=1090959
:
system msg for write_line failure : No error
Abort(1090959) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in PMPI_Init_thread: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(176)........:
MPID_Init(1548)..............:
MPIDI_OFI_mpi_init_hook(1554):
(unknown)(): Other MPI error
[unset]: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=1090959
:
system msg for write_line failure : No error

The call stack is this:

> impi.dll!MPIR_Err_return_comm() Unknown
impi.dll!PMPI_Init_thread() Unknown
IMB-MPI1.exe!main(int argc, char * * argv) Line 296 C++
IMB-MPI1.exe!invoke_main() Line 79 C++
IMB-MPI1.exe!__scrt_common_main_seh() Line 288 C++
IMB-MPI1.exe!__scrt_common_main() Line 331 C++
IMB-MPI1.exe!mainCRTStartup(void * __formal) Line 17 C++
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk() Unknown
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart() Unknown

Any ideas?  I'm stuck.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

"Can you confirm which files in the installation that we are allowed to redistribute with our commercial product?"

As stated in the license in $I_MPI_ROOT/licensing/license.txt, you may use and redistribute the software, which is provided in binary form only, without modification, provided the conditions in the license are met.

If this resolves your issue could you please let us know whether we can go ahead and close this issue?

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BLH
Beginner

I think we found the problem.  We were testing in a Windows command prompt, not the Intel oneAPI Command Prompt which sets up a different environment.

We finally got this to work in a Windows command prompt by copying a few more files from the MPI installation to the same location as our executable.

Specifically:

libfabric/bin/libfabric.dll

bin/release/impi.dll

libfabric/bin/utils/fi_info.exe

libfabric/bin/utils/fi_pingpong.exe

I'm assuming we can redistribute these.

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Intel forums.

We have tried to replicate the issue at our end but we are able to run the IMB benchmark successfully at our end. Please refer to the below attachment for the output details.

To investigate more regarding the issue could you please provide us with the below details?

1. cpuinfo

2. visual studio version

Thanks & Regards

Shivani 

0 Kudos
BLH
Beginner

Hi Shivani,

I wrote on 10/24/2023 that we solved our technical issue.

Can you confirm which files in the installation that we are allowed to redistribute with our commercial product?

-Ben

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

>>>"I wrote on 10/24/2023 that we solved our technical issue."

Sorry for the inconvenience. I missed your second post, so responded back we are unable to replicate the issue.

>>>"Can you confirm which files in the installation that we are allowed to redistribute with our commercial product?"

Regarding this, we will get back to you.

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

"Can you confirm which files in the installation that we are allowed to redistribute with our commercial product?"

As stated in the license in $I_MPI_ROOT/licensing/license.txt, you may use and redistribute the software, which is provided in binary form only, without modification, provided the conditions in the license are met.

If this resolves your issue could you please let us know whether we can go ahead and close this issue?

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos