Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11883 Discussions

NUC11PHKi7C does not wake from hibernation at scheduled time

YTNK
Beginner

Hello,

I'm using a NUC11PHKi7C running Windows 10 Pro, and it goes in hibernate at 8:00 pm every night. In the morning, Windows task scheduler tries to wake the nuc to run a task at 8:00 am, but the nuc wakes at around 8:08 am. As a result, the task fails with the following message.

• Task Scheduler did not launch task "Wake" as it missed its schedule. Consider using the configuration option to start the task when available, if schedule is missed.

I'm wondering why it takes so long time to wake from hibernation. I understand that it takes a little time to wake from hibernation, but it takes roughly 1 minutes to wake from turned off state, so I feel 8 minutes is too long.

I understand that the task is started again if I enable the setting of "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled task is missed", but I would like to start the task on time.

Does anyone know why the resume from hibernation is so late? Can I improve the situation?

Thanks,

ytnk

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Regarding your issue, please try disabling Fast Startup so that when you shut down the computer, it shuts down completely to the S5 power state.

• Type Power Options in the Search bar.
  • Select Choose what the power buttons do.
  • Select Change settings that are currently unavailable.
  • Uncheck turn on fast startup in the Shutdown settings section.
  • Click Save changes.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

YTNK
Beginner

Hello Jean,

Thank you for your advice.

I'll try it and tell you the result.

Thanks,

ytnk

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

Thanks for your response.

I will be waiting for your response to confirm the outcome of the recommendation.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

YTNK
Beginner

Hello Jean,

I have disabled "Fast Startup" by following your instructions. Now, both of "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" and "Hibernate" are enabled as power state. Under this condition, I checked the behavior, but the result was same.

I also checked system log at Event Viewer, and the following log was recorded at 8:05:38 am. (7-hour time difference from GMT)

The system time has changed to 2022-06-05T15:05:38.500000000Z from 2022-06-05T03:00:09.920644500Z.

Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.
Process: '' (PID 4).

This was the first system log after the NUC11PHKi7C waked, and this means that the nuc went in hibernate at 2022/06/04 8:00:09 pm, and waked up at 2022/06/05 8:05:38 am. The Windows task scheduler should have tried to wake the nuc up at 2022/06/05 8:00 am, but the nuc waked at 8:05:38 am, and the task failed at 8:08:42 am.

On the other hand, if a task is scheduled at a few minute after hibernation, the task runs on schedule. Even if the task is scheduled at 2 or 3 hours after hibernation, the task runs within a minute after scheduled time. However, if the task is scheduled at 12 hours after hibernation, it takes roughly 8 minutes to run the scheduled task.

Does the time to wake up depends on the duration time of hibernation?

Thanks,

ytnk

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the information provided.

I would like to investigate your issue internally. However, I would like to request some information about your situation, please, provide me with the following:

What kind of tasks do you schedule?

Create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)  

• Download the Intel SSU (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-window...)

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 

• Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View." 

To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save."  

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

YTNK
Beginner

Hello Jean,

Thank you for your support.

What kind of tasks do you schedule?

I have two tasks, suspend and resume.

1. suspend
    • "suspend" task is scheduled at 8:00 pm everyday. 
    • When this task is kicked, suspend.exe, which is written in C# and calls SetSuspendState(PowerState.Suspend, false, false) internally, is executed. In ordinary circumstances, it is expected that the system goes in sleep (S3), but the nuc does not support S3, so it goes in hibernate (S4).
  2. resume
    • "resume" task is scheduled at 8:00 am everyday.
    • When this task is kicked, the system wakes up and powershell script is executed.
    • If this task is run on the PC which supports sleep (S3) state, the task is executed on schedule, but when it is run on the nuc, the tasks is executed 8 minute after scheduled time.

Create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)  

Unfortunately, the NUC11PHKi7C is out of office now and I cannot use it until 20th of this month.
I will create a report as soon as possible upon its return.

Thanks,

ytnk

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

Thanks for the information provided. It has been helpful.

Regarding the SSU report, I understand that you can't create the report, but no worries, it was to have more information about your system's environment. However, I would like to confirm how you are configuring these tasks. What program are you using? Are there other parameters than the ones you have mentioned in your posts?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

YTNK
Beginner

Hello Jean,

Thank you for your quick response.

However, I would like to confirm how you are configuring these tasks. 

I configure "suspend" and "resume" tasks as followings.

1.  suspend
    • "General" tab
      • This task is run as normal user.
      • "Run only when user is logged on" is selected, and "Run with highest privileges" are checked.
    • "Conditions" tab
      • No item is checked.
    • "Settings" tab
      • "Allow task to be run on demand" and "If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop" are checked.
  2. resume
    • "General" tab
      • This task is run as normal user, and the user is added to "Log on as a batch job" of local security policy to run the task even if the user is not logged on. 
      • "Run whenever user is logged on or not" is selected, and "Run with highest privileges" are checked.
    • "Conditions" tab
      • Only "Wake the computer to run this task" is checked.
    • "Settings" tab
      • "Allow task to be run on demand" and "If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop" are checked. 

What program are you using?

Suspend.exe is the program that I implemented and just calls SetSuspendState() to make the system in sleep (S3) state.

Are there other parameters than the ones you have mentioned in your posts?

No. That's all, but I would like to explain the background of my question.

Originally, I have used these tasks and suspend.exe on other PCs which support sleep (S3) state, and everything has worked fine. However, when I used the nuc which does not support sleep (S3) but modern standby (Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected), "resume" task failed because of delay of wake from hibernate (S4) state.

Thanks,

ytnk

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

I understand that you mentioned that you were unavailable to provide me with the SSU. If there is any possibility that you could create the report, please share it with me. The report will provide us with vital information such as Drivers, operating system, and BIOS version, so we can confirm that your system is up to date; they are ideal for the further investigation of your issue. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

YTNK
Beginner

Hello Jean,

Thank you for your follow-up.

As I mentioned before, I cannot use the NUC11PHKi7C until 20th of this month. So I will execute the SSU at 20th and post the report ASAP. I would like you to resume the investigation after that. 

Thanks,

ytnk

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

I understand that you will not be able to create the report until the 20th. I will be waiting for your response with the report. However, I would like to suggest that before creating the report, please, check if your system is up to date with the following information:

BIOS 0065

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19729/bios-update-phtgl579.html

GFX 30.0.101.1191

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19350/intel-graphics-dch-driver-for-intel-nuc.html

OS Windows 10- 19044

If your system is not up to date with any of the versions mentioned above, please, try to install them and let me know the outcome of trying them.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

YTNK
Beginner

Hello Jean,

Thank you for your suggestion.

When the nuc is returned, I will check above information. If all of them are up to date, I'll create the SSU report and post it. If any of them is not up to date, I'll update it and try to run task scheduler again. In this case, I'll tell you the situation and post the result at the next day.

Thanks,

ytnk

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

Thanks for reaching out to me. I will be waiting for your response to confirm the outcome of updating your system if it's necessary.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

YTNK
Beginner

Hello Jean,

I created an SSU report today.

Regarding system information, 

• BISO
    • Original version was 0065, so it was updated to 0068(latest).
  • GFX
    • Original version was 30.0.101.1660 and it was the latest, so it was not updated.
  • OS Windows 10
    • Original version was 19043.1766 (21H1), so it was updated to 19044.1766 (21H2).

After update, I created another SSU report, and it is attached. (IP address and MAC address are masked.) 

Now I'm retrying the tasks from the task scheduler on the updated environment. I will inform the result the day after tomorrow.

Thanks,

ytnk

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the information provided.

I'd be waiting to confirm if the issue persists after updating your system.

Also, I noticed that the SSU report states that the graphics driver version installed on your system is the 27.20.100.9415 version and not the 30.0.101.1660. Could you reconfirm if the driver installed on your system is driver 30.0.101.1660? If not, please update the driver.

Again, here is the link for the driver update file, just in case you need it:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC11PHKi7C-does-not-wake-from-hibernation-at-scheduled-ti...

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

YTNK
Beginner

Hello Jean,

This morning, I confirmed the result of task scheduler, but it still failed bacause of the same reason.

Also, I noticed that the SSU report states that the graphics driver version installed on your system is the 27.20.100.9415 version and not the 30.0.101.1660. Could you reconfirm if the driver installed on your system is driver 30.0.101.1660? If not, please update the driver.

When I tried to install the driver previously, the installer said that the same  driver is currently installed, so I just finished without installing it. This morning, I re-installed the driver by checking "Execute a clean installation." Attached file is the new result of SSU, but the result is the same. Regarding the version of 30.0.101.1660, I think that the version of "Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics" driver is the version.

Now I think that my environment is up to date, but it still takes 8 minutes to wake the nuc up after hibernation.

I appreciate if you find any clue for my problem.

Thanks,

ytnk

Jean_Intel

Hello YTNK,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.