Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
11790 Discussions

NUC7i7BNH screen does not wake up from sleep

RRoss7
Beginner

I am having issues with my NUC7i7BNH where the screen most of the times is not coming back out of sleep mode (sometimes it does work as how it should be).

The keyboard seems still to be responsive (numlock light is still going on and off), but the monitor does not come back. I installed the latest version (4678) of the Intel Graphic drivers and all other drivers are the latest as well.

I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1703. I have seen that there are quite some users of the NUC7i7BNH that reports on crashes of their NUC. Maybe mine issue is the same, but I don't know. The only thing I can think of is long pressing the power button to restart the NUC, but I think the NUC is not crashed, but I can't tell for sure as the screen remains blank.

One other thing that I find particular is that the Intel Driver Update Utility (V2.8.0.7) shows an unknown version number for the following two drivers:

- Thunderbolt Bus Driver for Intel NUC Kit NUC7i5BN and NUC7i7BN

- Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 10 for Intel NUC7i3BN, NUC7i5BN and NUC7i7BN

Hope someone can inform me what I can do to resolve the issue that my screen does not come back when in sleep.

0 Kudos
65 Replies
RRoss7
Beginner

And one addition I forgot to add to my original post: I also get once in a while a glitch where the screen is going black for a very short moment and then returns back with the normal picture again. I am using a 4K LG monitor of the type 27UD68P that is attached to my NUC7i7BNH via a high quality HDMI cable.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

For your first problem, the good news is it has absolutely nothing to do with the reports of crashes. The bad news is that I can't offer you a solution -- but I can certainly offer you a workaround. What is happening is the Intel HD Graphics Driver is good at putting monitors to sleep but awful at waking them up and reestablishing communication with them. Unfortunately, this bug has existed for many years. The workaround is to go into the Control Panel Power Options applet and, for your chosen power plan, edit the plan settings and set Turn off the Display to Never. To avoid related issues (most of my NUCs are also behind KVMs, which exacerbates things), I routinely set Put the Computer to Sleep to Never as well, but you don't need to do this unless it proves absolutely necessary.

Regarding what you are seeing with the Intel Driver Update Utility, just forget it. This tool is chock full of bugs and I recommend that you not use it (at least until Intel introduces a new version). Instead, you should be manually downloading and installing the necessary drivers yourself. Go to the downloads page for your NUC (for your NUC7i7BNH, it is here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95065/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i7BNH Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH) and download and install all of the latest drivers for your (stating it generically) chosen Windows version. For some NUCs (yours included), Intel is making this easy by creating driver bundles that allow easy (albeit large) downloading.

Regarding the black glitch, I am not seeing this issue, but I am using a DVI monitor. When I get a chance, I will connect my BN to my 4K TV and see if I can reproduce this issue (I need to do this to install the HDMI firmware upgrade anyway)...

Hope this helps,

...S

威王4
New Contributor I
RRoss7
Beginner

Thank you for the clarification N. Scott Pearson. I have switched off that the monitor is turned off after a certain period of time. I am not sure if WW6302 has the same problem with a screen going black or the inablitiy to wake up the screen but it would be great if the black screen can be resolved as it is kind of annoying. Thanks for looking into this N. Scott Pearso! On a side note I find it quite disappointing that a big company as Intel is apparantly not able and / or willing to resolve the sleep issue with their drivers not able to wake up the monitor again and also that the Intel Driver Update Utility is not usable for the NUC7i7BNH. I was expecting a bit more from Intel. This combined with the relative loud noise that my NUC7i7BNH makes means that I will probably not buy an Intel NUC again. Anyway back on topic again: thank you for the feedback and assistance which is much appreciated.

TMitj
Beginner

Got the same problem

JTort
Beginner

I've been having this problem for a few months now. When will this be resolved????

n_scott_pearson

Have you tried my workaround?

JTort
Beginner
n_scott_pearson

Hhmmm, Intel likely needs to escalate this issue...

GYoho
Beginner

Hello Scott Pearson:

The problem I have is you should not have to try a work around or hocus pocus bull? This has been a known issue for over two years now and Intel has not fixed it permanent? I have over 200 NUC7i7BNH in the field in Government courthouses and even just this week I have experienced everything from flickering monitors, going to sleep and not waking, and just plain going to black screen! My company has spent hundreds of man hours on these PC's and we are a software company not hardware but we are loosing resources dealing with this issue. I have read across this blog of all kinds of hocus pocus solutions and believe me I have tried them all. I am definitely moving away from USBc to display port cables which is now costing my company several thousand dollars just in a hope to move past this issue. Maybe we all need to join together and start talking to the legal department? I hate that idea but it is getting very frustrating. The older NUCs that used mini-display ports I have no issues with. Its the newer generation NUC7i7BNH. Agh I wish I had never bought them. My company is a software company by design and we do work in County level governments developing software that is reliable and does not shut down or have issues. I know just how complex it can be, but Intel needs to get on the stick and test better in Beta before releasing.

Sorry for the long response and I know I am just releasing the frustration I feel for having to go back and replace cables and send men out to the field to once again update bios and do a several things to figure out all the dual monitor issues that keep happening. IN TWO WORDS FOR INTEL......"FIX IT!" I have started logging all lost time and money on this issue my company is facing.

Thank you Scott for trying to help!!

Sincerely

Gene Yoho

Compiled Technologies

SYous1
Beginner

Gene absolutely right , obviously i came here for a reason... facilitated by intel a nuc7i3bnk with "no wake" bug. which means i might have to switch the customer to another option lucky i built a prototype first

And Scott , its really pathetic excuse if it really came from intel that a 2 year problematic product still spinning out and SW devs got no time for it . i deal with micro imu UAV controllers which are $50 a pop and u should see panic manufacturers go thru when something similar happens minds u company size difference and that the intel costs about x16 time the price of that little controller.

Now that "HDMI BIOS" update makes one think it maybe a Hardware issue rather which intel tried to rectify thru FW and failed miserably for 2 years !!! yohog304 maybe you should negotiate NUC8 replacement plan.

cheers

JWall14
Beginner

I am having the exact same problem. I have the NUC7i7BNH with 32gb ram. Windows 10 Pro ver 1703. I have two 4K monitors hooked up, LG 27UD68. One is hooked up directly to the HDMI, and the other is hooked up with a USB 3.1 Type C to DisplayPort cable (4K*2K@60Hz). The monitors work great, and both are running at 60Hz. Sometimes when the computer wakes up from sleep, the monitor hooked up to the HDMI port will not wake, and only the USB monitor will wake up. When only 1 monitor is hooked up to the HDMI, I can log into my computer using TeamViewer with my iPhone, and see the display on my phone's screen. There is nothing I can do to wake it up. I am able to hit the Start button and Shut Down, so that's better than a hard shut-down.

I'm using the Intel Driver Update Utility Version 2.8.0.7 and I have all the latest drivers installed.

Thunderbolt Bus Driver is showing "Unknown".

Infrared Driver is showing "Unknown".

HD Graphics is showing "Unknown".

Fan is also loud. I run Dropbox which eats my CPU.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hello All,

I am sorry to hear that you are having this annoying issue, I work for Intel Customer Support and I would like to ask you for additional information so that we can replicate, see below:

Can you please confirm that you are running latest BIOS and Graphics Driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26480/NUCs-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Int... - Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10* for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BN, NUC7i5BN, and NUC7i7BN

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26889/NUCs-BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95065 - BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]

Can you also try disabling Deep S4/S5 in BIOS?

Can you also please provide me with the Brand/Model of the RAM?

Regards,

Ronny G

JWall14
Beginner

I updated my BIOS from 46 to 47. My graphics version was the latest. "Deep S4/S5" is disabled.

My ram is: Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 CL14 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop HX424S14IBK2/32

I'll leave my computer running and be back with an update after several wakes.

IThol
New Contributor I

I am having the same problem i guess. Also same RAM

idata
Community Manager

ronaldvr2132, hope you were able to check Ronny's post.

TechHoarder, let us know the results.

Tranzy, please stay with with your original thread, I see that Ivan requested more information so please check it.

Regards,

Amy C.

DBagn
Beginner

Hi Amy C,

Is there a resolution to this problem?

ALuka2
Beginner

Same problem here.

Nuc7i3bnk

crucial 8GB RAM

Samsung EVO 850 512GB

using my NUC as a HTPC (mainly for music with Jriver) connected to a 64" Samsung Plasma.

It happens every other day but in my case the only thing that helps is to pull the plug out and leave it unplugged for at least a half an hour. Then it works again. Very annoying

I have downloaded the latest drivers from intels website as well as the BIOS update.

Need to find a solution as it is really upsetting trying to explain to my kids that they have to wait a half an hour to watch their - once in a week allowed - movie.

thx

adam

JWall14
Beginner

I had the problem again last night while I was chromecasting something to my TV. It doesn't happen often; just sometimes. While I was chromecasting a show both my monitors went to sleep. When I came back to the computer and moved my mouse, only the monitor hooked up to the USB-C port woke up, and the browser window filled only the upper left quadrant of the screen. I was able to fully expand the window to fill the entire screen, but the mouse would not move to the HDMI-attached monitor, nor would it wake up.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/115193 TechHoarder, I am sorry to hear!

I would like to confirm what is the Intel® HD Graphics driver version installed, please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

Regards,

Amy C.