Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11291 Discussions

NUC817HNK boots to unsuccessful POST attempt error

RBell1
Novice

When my NUC817HNK is powered on it boots twice and stops at:

BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).

Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS

Performance Options or recent hardware change.

Press 'Y' to enter Setup or 'N' to cancel and attempt

to boot with previous settings.

Replying N lets it start up properly.

I've restored the BIOS to 0052 with the power button menu and set it to the defaults.

Any further suggestions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Please restore bios again to version 0052, however this time with the Security Jumper removed, instead from Power Button menu.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The most common reason or POST failures is problems configuring the DRAM to operate properly at the rates programmed into its SPD. What are the full specs for your DRAM SODIMMs? Please provide their part numbers.

...S

RBell1
Novice

Crucial CT2K16G4SFD824A, DDR4 PC4-19200 • CL=17 • Dual Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2400 • 1.2V • 2048Meg x 64

https://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&categoryId=&productId=738...

Odd thing is the NUC was fine at first, then had this same error intermittently which was cleared by a BIOS restore. (https://forums.intel.com/s/feed/0D50P0000490XHJSA2). It was fine for five months and then started again every time.

n_scott_pearson

Remove one of the two SODIMMs and see if the problem still occurs. Swap the two SODIMMs and test again. Do you have a SODIMM that consistently sees problem?

RBell1
Novice

No joy. Problem persists with the two SODIMMs swapped or with either module in the lower slot.

When I started in IT I would watch the DEC tech easter-egging memory boards in the PDP-11 to find a configuration that would be stable until he could get out the door. I never liked it then, and I don't want to go back.

n_scott_pearson

Can you say "What goes around comes around"?

Ok, what is happening is the BIOS is not able to successfully configure the memory using the settings in the SPD. When you allow it to continue, it is using a default set of parameters and ignoring the SPDs. This is typically a sign that either the DIMMs have failed, something on the board has failed or the processor's memory controllers have failed. The only way to know is to try using other memory and see if the problem persists. If it does, you are looking at an RMA...

Sorry,

...S

RBell1
Novice

Too bad it can't be configured manually or, failing that, to just boot with the previous settings and not ask. Ah for the days of jumpers and DIP switches!