Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12298 Discussions

PCIe issue with NUC7 Bios

HGrah
Beginner

Our PCIe Express hardware device (PCIe x4 GEN I interface) is connected to the 4 Lanes PCI Interface on the M.2 slot.

We did some basic tests with an older BIOS version 0031 from 14th December 2016 and everything was working fine.

After upgrading to the latest BIOS version BNKBL357.86A, Version 0054 from October 25th 2017 we see PCI Express link issues.

We analyzed the behavior with the PCI Express analyzer and saw repetitive PCIe LINK trainings.

It seems like ASPM (Active State Power Management) is activated which is not supported from our hardware.

We tried to downgrade to an older BIOS version but this is prohibited with the latest ME version.

Therefore, I cannot tell you since which BIOS version this problem is present.

We also changed the Windows 10 power management settings but it didn't have any affect to the PCIe Link.

The same issue was present on both NUC7i7 and NUC7i5 systems we tested. We did not observe the same issue with NUC6i5 systems.

It would be very nice if you could help me with the following questions:

1. Do you have an explanation for this behavior?
  2. Is this PCIe Link behavior activated by accident or on purpose enabled for M.2 SSDs?
  3. Can we expect that a BIOS upgrade will fix our link problem?

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

laquebrada: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

To provide the most accurate response to your inquiries, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread .

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

idata
Community Manager

laquebrada: I just received some updates from the research we are doing on this matter and we just wanted to confirm some information about your system.

What is the model of the PCIe Express hardware device?

Please provide the SSU report for the NUC that are showing this behavior:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

HGrah
Beginner

This issue is caused by the BIOS upgrade, which modifies the "Native ACPI OS PCIe Support" setting by disabling it. Manually enabling the setting after the BIOS update fixes the problem. it is not clear to me why updating the BIOS has affected this setting. You should consider modifying the BIOS upgrade process to not modify this setting.

Regards,

Laquebrada

idata
Community Manager

laquebrada: Thank you very much for sharing those details. Intel really appreciates all the feedback and suggestions provided by all the peers in our communities and I will send your comments to the proper department for them to be aware of them.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R