Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

32gb optaine installed and now need to reinstall windows 10 x64

KJame3
Beginner

I installed Windows 10 x64 the first time without Optaine installed, after install changed the Bios to allow for Optaine. Computer crashed and now need to reinstall and the install routine is asking for a driver and so far ACHI and Optain IRST doesn't work, what am I doing wrong, or do I need to take the optane module out and then install Windows???

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Krissy,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your situation regarding the Optane(R).

In order to better understand your situation, could you please confirm the following information:

*Could you please confirm the brand and model of the target SSD?

*Could you please let us know the brand and model of the motherboard?

*Have you tried to make the changes first in the BIOS and after that reinstall Windows(R) 10?

We recommend you to apply the changes first in the BIOS and then reinstall Windows(R). Also, we suggest you disconnect the Optane(TM) and then reinstall Windows*.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
KJame3
Beginner

Hi Junior,

The easiest part first, I've answered these questions three separate times now and each email I sent using the email addy supplied bounced back, so either ihe email addy is wrong or the box is full, don't know which, but you might want to take a look at it.

This thing is beating me to death......

"Could you please confirm the brand and model of the target SSD?" Well at the moment its being seen by the system as "Intel Optane 954gb SSD (0.9tb) BUT, in actuality is a SanDisk® X400 SSD (1.0TB)

*Could you please let us know the brand and model of the motherboard?" GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K9

*Have you tried to make the changes first in the BIOS and after that reinstall Windows(R) 10?" I've tried a number of ways to reinstall Windows. 1. Left everything as it is and tried a straight install. 2. Changed the Bios from Intel RST with Optane to AHCI and tried reinstalling. 3. Changed the Bios to AHCI and removed the Optane module. 4. Left the module out and changed to AHCI. 5. Returned the module to the m2 socket and restored Windows from an image. That's as far as I've gotten. I could live with the restored image but since I develop Android Apps I know sooner or later I'll nee to do a fresh install and at this point I haven't a clue. I did see a video about altering the Windows install routine but that seems way too much for 32gb of memory so I haven't gone there so far.

Krissy James

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Krissy,

Thanks for the reply.

We recommend you to disconnect the Optane(R) and Secure erase the boot drive during Windows(R) 10 installation. Please follow the steps suggested in this link: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2880-open-command-prompt-boot-windows-10-a.html https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2880-open-command-prompt-boot-windows-10-a.html

Once you have the command prompt open, please run the following commands:

1-diskpart.

2-list disk.

3-Based on the size you need to find the index number for your boot drive.

4-select disk [index of the SSD].

5-Run Clean all.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

This process may take a while and it will not show any progress bar. After that, please install Windows(R) 10 again and make sure that Optnae(TM) is out of the system.

*Once the OS is installed we recommend you to connect the Optane(TM) and follow the next steps in order to deconcatenate the module, otherwise you will not be able to see the module:

1- Go to BIOS and access advanced\peripherals

2- Go to SATA and RST configuration.

2- Go to SATA Mode and RST configuration change the option from "AHCI" to "Intel(R) RST Premium with Optane System Acceleration"

3- Press F10 in order to save changes and reboot.

4- Go again to BIOS\peripherals and access the option at the end that says Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology.

5- Select your Intel® Optane™ Memory. May display as something along the lines of "PCIe 1.0, Intel MEMPEK1W0......", enter.

6. Under "Disk Actions:" there should be an option to "Reset to non-Optane." This option will reset your module and allow you to detect and enable it again.

Once you have followed these steps, you will be able to restart your computer and enable system acceleration once again.

NOTE: In case you have boot issues you need to go to the step 2 and select "AHCI" again.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
KJame3
Beginner

Junior,

I followed you instructions to the letter and now what I have is a computer that has a wiped boot drive, and when I try and run the installation routine for Windows it tells me it's looking for some kind driver and won't let me go past that. I did as you instructed and used dispart to wipe the hard drive and took Optaine out of the system, and still no joy.

Now I have a question, why would you guys introduce a new product without the proper software to do this without me reconstructing my computer???

Right now all I want to know is how to straighten this mess out and get my computer up and running, right now I'm dead in the water. I can't load windows or anything else.

Krissy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Krissy,

We see that you are working with our local support team. Please let us know if you need something else from our side.

Feel free to post an update ones your issue has been resolved.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos