Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Acceleration of new 670p using intel optane memory

menatru13
Beginner

Hello!

Intel optane memories accelerate "slower media" like:

• SSD
  • HDD
  • SSHD
  • and Intel SSD 660p/665p Series.

My question:

This also applies to the new SSD 670p. Can I accelerate this SSD with intel optane memory, or are only 660p and 665p compatible with it?

Thank you and greetings from Austria.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @menatru13 

The Intel SSD 660P, 665P and 670P series are NVMe drives and as such all of three can't and not need to be accelerated in Optane.

Only SSD/HDD with SATA interface can be accelerated with Optane Memory to improve its performance.

Leon

menatru13
Beginner

Thanks for the information.

But...

In Intel® Optane ™ Memory M Series Installation and User Guide from February 2021, see also the appendix, it is pointed out that the intel 660p and 665p are supported and that's why I got the idea whether this also works with the 670p. I would like to buy one of these NVMe SSDs and test it with Optane storage.

Maybe that's just a mistake in the manual,

best regards

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @menatru13 

You are right, drives build on Intel® QLC 3D NAND are compatible with Optane. So, probably SSD 670P should work. This is some thing new for me. However I don't understand why to use the Optane with NVMe SSD at all. Optane has no better performance than the NVMe SSD. So, in my opinion you will not have improvement in performance, but linking the SSD with Optane, complicates the system only. I would not recommend to do this.

Let wait for Intel answer.

Leon

JosafathB_Intel

Hello, menatru13.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with the Intel® Optane™ Memory Series. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can review the following information:

The Intel® 660p and 665p are the exceptions to the rule. As you mentioned, the Intel® 660p and 665p are supported to be accelerated with the Optane M series. But the Intel® SSD 670p Series is not listed as validated or tested hardware to be used with Optane.

We do not recommend, support, or validate the configuration using the Intel® 670p. Please take into consideration that you may experience unknown issues even if you succeed in paring the Optane memory with this SSD.

We advise you to check with your seller if they have the Intel® 660p or the Intel® 665p in stock since it is the validated hardware. Before purchasing or trying to set up any new hardware, please do a backup of your information and contact your motherboard manufacturer to check the BIOS settings and hardware compatibility beforehand.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 27th of April 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
menatru13
Beginner

Thanks for the information.

I ordered the 665p SSD and am really looking forward to testing the SSD with Intel Optane memory. Thanks again to everyone for your support,

best regards.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, menatru13.

Thank you for your reply. You are welcome.

We are glad to hear that you were able to order the Intel® SSD 665p Series from your reseller.

We will proceed to close this community thread. If you need further assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us back by opening a new thread.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos