Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

CMOS Checksum Error

GJW
Novice

Problem with NUC7i5BNH

ON bootup after power down it comes up with 

CMOS CHECKSUM Erroe

Date time not set

Replaced the battery 

Upgraded the BIOS

same problem   Anu suggestions please

0 Kudos
1 Solution
GJW
Novice

Massive thankyou to everyone who as suggested possibilities.   It's now working and maintaining the date and time

Steps I tried

Purchased a new battery from Battery World No Luck

update bios to latest release (0093) from USB on startup using F7 I think from memory   No  luck

Went back to original battery battery   No luck

Tried removing Jumper and upgrading BIOS from USB again   

This seems to have resolved the problem as it has maintained correct Date time overnight and NOT seeing the message

Date time not set anymore

Again thanks to everyone who provided suggestions

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What battery did you use?  Photo please.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
GJW
Novice
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
We need to see the connector on this cable.
...S
0 Kudos
GJW
Novice

Thanks so much for your help

GJW_0-1711445045153.jpeg

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Geoff,

Greetings for the day !

Thank you for posting in Intel Community.

Technical and Warranty Support for Intel’s NUC 7 through NUC 13 Systems has transitioned to ASUS as of January 16, 2024. Please visit the Intel Newsroom for details.

Please contact ASUS for further assistance.

Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@IntelSupport    NO!  If you notice, we are dealing with this user and asking for more information.  Do not be so quick do dismiss this user.

[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@GJW,

We need an angle - and far closer view - that allows us to see which color wire is going to which pin in the connector. With the existing picture, I cannot tell.

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@GJW    Since we are waiting for your photo, let's look at this more closely.

A- the battery is dead

B-the battery is wired correctly

C-the battery is wired incorrectly

D-the battery is not the issue.

I am betting on C.  Since there is only PLUS and MINUS, it should be an easy task for you to reverse the polarity.

If you get the same results, well, something else is wrong.

If you ordered the battery from amazon or some such place, provide a link to it.

[Intel, like it or not, NUCs did exist]

0 Kudos
GJW
Novice

Thankyou so much for your assistance Gents

I purchased a new battery from Battery World (rather than on line)   Have had it checked and it is <> 3.2v

If you are able to confirm that the + - aren't in the correct position I'll try your suggestion re swapping them

Here is a closer photo of the connection

GJW_0-1711506649440.jpeg

GJW_1-1711506672963.jpeg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, dumb question, but it could save time - have you physically compared the connectors of the old and new batteries?

I have a couple of these batteries in my spare parts pile - unfortunately none that I can positively say came from my failed BN unit. The keying is different from that of the replacement battery pictured above.

If you have wires in opposite positions, it is ~fairly~ easy (sarcastically says the guy who has done it many, many times) to swap the wires in the connector. Within that connector (positioned as you have it in the picture with the pen), there are two tiny white tabs that hold the pins into the connector. Using point of safety/sewing pin, you can lift the tabs slightly and the pin can be pulled from the connector (aside: to lower frustration level, I use tip of X-Acto knife to do this as it will lift and hold up the tab for the time it takes to get the pin pulled out). Once the pins are out, you can, one at a time, push them into opposite holes in connector. Pushing pin in and pulling back, you should feel when the tab locks it in place.

Once you have installed a battery with correct polarity, you should boot up using the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup. Within BIOS Setup, all you need to do is set the date and time and then you can exit. On the resulting POST, you should not see any complaints about the CMOS. To verify completely, after booting into Windows (or Linux), do a full shutdown and then unplug the NUC's power cord from the wall (A/C power) for 10 minutes. If all is good, upon powering up you should not see any CMOS complaints.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
GJW
Novice

HI all   Thanks so much for your assistance thus far.

I picked up another battery that had the + and - connections different.

I've tried both batteries and still have the same problem

Maybe problem is with the board??

Geoff

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Again, did you compare the original battery to the new battery(s)?

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When the battery needs to be replaced, you need to install the battery, power on the system, use F2 key to enter BIOS Setup and set date and time. After exiting BIOS Setup and once you have seen BIOS Splash screen, power off, unplug system from A/C power and then wait 15 minutes. If, when powering back on after all this, you see BIOS indicating CMOS error, you know you have a (a) bad battery (or wired backwards) or (b) true CMOS failure. If wired backwards and switching the pins doesn't help, then you know it is true CMOS failure. In this case, you have two choices, (a) put up with it, or (b) replace the NUC.

...S

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

In addition to Scott's advise given in the post above, I would suggest to update BIOS with the latest version 0093, but this time using BIOS Recovery method (either from Power Button Menu or By BIOS Security Jumper Removed).

Leon

0 Kudos
GJW
Novice

Massive thankyou to everyone who as suggested possibilities.   It's now working and maintaining the date and time

Steps I tried

Purchased a new battery from Battery World No Luck

update bios to latest release (0093) from USB on startup using F7 I think from memory   No  luck

Went back to original battery battery   No luck

Tried removing Jumper and upgrading BIOS from USB again   

This seems to have resolved the problem as it has maintained correct Date time overnight and NOT seeing the message

Date time not set anymore

Again thanks to everyone who provided suggestions

0 Kudos