Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel Optane Memory not working with NUC 9i9QNX and Intel SSD 660p drive

Varannan
Beginner

Computer: NUC9i9QNX kit (bios version 0068)
SSD drive to be accelarated: Intel SSD 660p - SSDPEKNW512G8 (OS installed)
Intel Optane Module: Intel Optane SSD DC P4801X Series SSDPEKNW512G8

Hello, 

I have a lot of troubles installing Intel Optane Memory on NUC. I could never get it right, I even replaced the Optane Memory module for a new one (I thought it was faulty and this was a reason for my struggles) but the problems are still there. 
No matter what I do, I always end up getting the error in Intel Optane/RST Management app stating:
"There are no valid disk pairs (the system disk does not meet requirements)"
(before further questions:
- Installation of drivers was always ending in success with no errors
- I did left unallocated 20 MB partition at the end of drive to be accelarated
- Intel Optane Module is whole listed as unallocated and uninitiated in Disk Manager, I also run diskpart "clean" command on it
- Bios SATA mode setting looks correct as the Optane app is setting it during installation (it may be an issue but I describe it in detail later) and remapping of Optane Module is turned on
- SSD drive and Optane are both compatibile according to Intel sites and installed in in two adjacent PCI M.2 slots in the NUC, not the lone M.2. in the board. It was not working no matter if additional third drive was insterted there or not)

So i recently completely cleaned all my disks and made a completely fresh (from Microsoft site not from recovery disk) Windows OS installation so that no traces of my failed trails were there to interfere. 

And so now I want to double-check every step of the installation before going further. 
All I did now was installing all the newest Intel drivers suggested by Intel Driver & Support Assistant App and updating Windows 10 Pro to the newest version.

I have not intalled any drivers for Optane yet, as I want to confirm which ones should I get

Here is my problem - 
I have NUC9i9QNX and for it this RST/Optane app is suggested - 
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) with Intel® Optane™ Technology for Intel® NUC

My disks that I want to use as a pair for Optane Acceleration are:
Intel Optane SSD DC P4801X Series - SSDPEL1K375GA
Intel SSD 660p - SSDPEKNW512G8 (Windows OS is installed here)
Both of them are listed as compatible for this RST/Optane app -
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installation Software with Intel® Optane™ Memory (8th and 9th Gen Platforms)

Which one should I install?
The Nuc download one is older and looks a bit "forgotten" but it is for NUC especially. However, the site about Optane lists disk 660p as compatibile with drivers 17.5.2.1024 or later (the NUC drivers are older - 17.5.1.1021) I mean the site here: Supported Drives for Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory
I tried both of the apps/drivers at some points, none was working, but I want to know which one is the "correct" one for my setup.

My second question is about bios settings. Because everywhere I see information, that for Optane accelartion Bios should be set to SATA Mode "RST Premium/Ready for RST/etc". In some places tho, I've seen "RAID/IntelRST" so it looks like "RAID" mode should work as well. My problem is that:
Why does my bios not have any RST setting in SATA mode?
It is listed as one of three options in in "informations" window but when I try to change it (no matter if I have SSDs or drivers installed or no) i can see only AHCI and RAID setting. When I have Windows installed with AHCI as SATA mode, the Optane drivers while installing are changing it in security mode to "RAID" mode. If I have "RAID" mode during installation, the drivers install themselves without any mention of error or anything. 
But still the lack of 3rd mode in bios concerns me. 
I have the latest BIOS update installed, suggested for my NUC - BIOS ver. 0068 - this one: 
BIOS Update [QXCFL579] (intel.com)
Installed via the Intel Driver & Support Assistant App.
I am attaching photos of bios to illustrate the lack of 3rd mode that is however mentioned in the box on the right. 
I also attach the photo of confirmation that Optane drive is indeed recognized by BIOS in "Add-in Config" under "RST" tab. Third disk listed is a storage only 1TB disk I have installed in third, separate M.2 board slot. I tried installing the two disk to pair, with or without it as I mentioned earlier it changed nothing I think it should be irrelavant to my issue.

Sorry for the long and detailed message, I just think I've tried everything, and checked every possible forum thread and Intel manual on the Optane issues. I know that it is possible to set up Intel Optane in this config because circa two years ago my friend did this with his disks of the same type and in exact same type of NUC kit. But he just installed Optane and it was working as it should from the beginning, so I got no informations from there. Maybe there is a thing that I am missing in all of this? or maybe the newest updates are just not working correctly with this setting. I am a bit stuck now, having tried to set this up for days.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope I can get answers for my questions or additional tips on installing Optane. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Varannan.

Good day,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forum.

I received your case regarding Intel Optane Memory acceleration, and I will be helping you with this.

Just in case, your Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4801X Series is not designed to accelerate other devices, this is why you keep getting the message about not having valid disk pairs.

The units designed for acceleration are labeled as "Intel Optane Memory" and "Intel Optane Memory M10", you can find more details in the following article:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058286/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html#:~:text=16%20GB%20Intel%C2%AE%20Optane,Optane%E2%84%A2%20Memory%20%2B%201TB%20NAND

Regarding the BIOS settings, "RAID" is the correct one. Different manufacturers may use different names and locations for their settings, sometimes it is called "RST", "RST premium", "RST Premium with Optane Memory", or in your case "RAID", although it does not really make a difference in this case.

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know, and I will follow up on June 6th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Varannan.

Good day,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forum.

I received your case regarding Intel Optane Memory acceleration, and I will be helping you with this.

Just in case, your Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4801X Series is not designed to accelerate other devices, this is why you keep getting the message about not having valid disk pairs.

The units designed for acceleration are labeled as "Intel Optane Memory" and "Intel Optane Memory M10", you can find more details in the following article:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058286/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html#:~:text=16%20GB%20Intel%C2%AE%20Optane,Optane%E2%84%A2%20Memory%20%2B%201TB%20NAND

Regarding the BIOS settings, "RAID" is the correct one. Different manufacturers may use different names and locations for their settings, sometimes it is called "RST", "RST premium", "RST Premium with Optane Memory", or in your case "RAID", although it does not really make a difference in this case.

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know, and I will follow up on June 6th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Varannan.

Thank you for taking the time to mark the thread as resolved.

It will be closed right now and no longer monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us back via any of the available support methods.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos