Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Not possible to update firmware

pgrif3
Beginner

Hi,

i try to update my intel 320 40GB. When i start the issdfut_2.2.3.iso "Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool" the x.org server crashes. I cant update via graphics or serial. I tested it with CD-ROM and USB-Stick on 3 different machines with several BIOS Options. My question now is, can i run the firmware update tool when i login to the system when X crashes?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi peter1337,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your situation regarding the Firmware update issue for the Intel® SSD 320 Series.

We would like to inform you that the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool is an OS independent tool and the only way to access it is to create the bootable USB and boot from it from BIOS.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please let us know the Firmware version that your Intel® SSD 320 Series has?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
pgrif3
Beginner

Hi,

Firmware Revision: 4PC10302

bootscreen:

Tried both options Grapics and Serial boot, with same result.

After X crashes, can i now start the firmware updater? If yes, how?

on the other machines the output is a litlle bit different, but the same problem X is shutting down.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi peter1337,

Thanks for the reply.

We recommend you to leave the OS independent to run automatically because after the first screen you will get the option to update the SSD's firmware.

As per this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017245/memory-and-storage.html article, the latest firmware for the Intel® SSD 320 Series is 4PC10362

Please let us know the outcome of your situation.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
pgrif3
Beginner

Hi,

tried also to update with Intel® SSD Toolbox but there is a error message that the ssd is in IDE mode and I should use the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool. When I try to put the SSD in a case and connect it via USB the Programm can't identify the drive.

How can I disable the IDE-Mode? There are no options in BIOS. Is it possible to use linux tools to upgrade? Have seen that it is possible with other SDD Series.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi peter1337,

Thanks for the reply.

We would like to inform you that you can not update the firmware via USB. You will need to connect the SSD directly to a SATA port on your motherboard. That's why you may get the error message.

In order to disable the IDE mode, you should change the storage controller on your BIOS to the AHCI mode.

Please let us know if you have the same output when connecting the SSD directly to the motherboard.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
pgrif3
Beginner

Hi,

finally it worked. In BIOS I had to disable IDE-Controller (On-Chip) an then set RAID-Mode to AHCI. Windows did not boot anymore but after a new installation I could update the firmware.

Thank you for the support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi peter1337,

We are glad to hear that your situation has been resolved.

If you have further questions then feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos