Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory
Examine Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory
63 Discussions

Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory I/O command queues

enricsosa
Beginner

Hi,

I am working with a remote computer with DIMMs of model NMA1XXD128GPS. These DIMMs plug into the RAM slots, and use the Intel DDR-t protocol. I would like to know their concurrency capabilities and up to how many I/O command queues they support.

For example, Optane™ Memories using the NVMe protocol go up to 64k I/O command queues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, enricsosa.

Good day,

In this particular case, the Intel Optane PMEM is a different device from than Intel Optane Memory or SSD. An Intel Optane SSD is a storage device, they use NVMe protocol and the I/O bus to transfer data. The Intel Optane PMEM is a memory device (not a storage device) that uses the memory bus (not the I/O bus).

Since this is a memory device, it uses a DDR interface (like DRAM). NVMe is an interface for storage devices, not memory devices, and due to the difference in their nature, they cannot be compared using I/O queue depth specifications.

The I/O queue depth is a parameter within the storage device scope.

If you have other questions, please let me know, and I will follow up on April 21st to provide additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, enricsosa.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your thread regarding Intel PMEM, and I will be reviewing this with you.

My deepest apologies for the delayed response, do you still require assistance with this? any updates you can share? or new information you have obtained?

Please let me know this or in case you have any other questions or concerns.

I will follow up on April 14th just in case.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, enricsosa.

I wanted to follow up on this community thread to check if assistance is still required.

I will follow up again on April 18th before closing the thread if there is no confirmation.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
enricsosa
Beginner

Hello,

Sorry for my delayed response.

As of now, it is not a high priority like before but it may still be useful.
I do not have any updates since. Prior to this post, I did not found anything regarding what I asked.

If what I was looking for causes too much of a headache to resolve, maybe my question was not that well set. But any help can be handy.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Eric.

Good day,

Please allow me to confirm if there is any information we can provide, and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, enricsosa.

Good day,

In this particular case, the Intel Optane PMEM is a different device from than Intel Optane Memory or SSD. An Intel Optane SSD is a storage device, they use NVMe protocol and the I/O bus to transfer data. The Intel Optane PMEM is a memory device (not a storage device) that uses the memory bus (not the I/O bus).

Since this is a memory device, it uses a DDR interface (like DRAM). NVMe is an interface for storage devices, not memory devices, and due to the difference in their nature, they cannot be compared using I/O queue depth specifications.

The I/O queue depth is a parameter within the storage device scope.

If you have other questions, please let me know, and I will follow up on April 21st to provide additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

enricsosa
Beginner

Hello Brus,

No wonder we didn't see anything about it. That is the clarification that we needed.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, enricsosa.

I'm glad to be of assistance.

Since that is the case, the thread will be closed right now, and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos