Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
435 Discussions

900P SSD connected to PCIe 3.0 with only x2

LTAL
Beginner

Hi

I see in the 900P ( 2.5" 15mm) product page it reach 550000 IOPS for random read and that this item is PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4

My question is: will it keep it's IOPs performance in case it will be assembled in a PCIe 3.0 slot with only 2 lens ?

And not x4 slot as the specs required .

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi L_R_T,

That's correct, the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P has a performance of 550000 IOPS for Random Reads, however that performance is when the drive is used in a PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 interface.

You can use it in a PCIe NVMe 3.0 x2 interface, but the performance will not be the same. It will decrease since the interface bandwidth is reduced due to the lanes reduction.

Please let me know if I answered your question, or if there is anything else you would like to know.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
LTAL
Beginner

I expect using only 2 PCIe lens will impact the maximum throughput .

What is still a mystery, is what happens with small and medium size blocks

which usually have performance limits other than the data bus bandwidth .

e.g, Will I get 550000 random read IOPs for 512B block size ?

Thank you for all input

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi L_R_T,

That's an interesting question indeed, please keep in mind that the advertised performance is for PCIe 3.0 x4, we would not be able to make a statement about performance on a PCIe x2 interface. However, you won't get the same 550000 IOPS for Random Reads as if you were using a PCIe x4 interface.

I cannot say how much the performance would decrease or what the IOPS for Random Reads would be approximately as I haven't tested it, but in general you will see a lower performance if you use the PCIe x2 interface regardless of the block size.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos