Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
447 Discussions

Access to Files on NVME Optane Hard Drive

Psyclist
Beginner

I recently had a laptop die on me (HP Spectre). It suddenly stopped booting. I'm hoping that the data on the hard drive is still available. I've removed the NVME Optane drive and I've been trying to use a docking station to access the files without success. I'm on my 4th docking station. The computer seems to recognize the docking station when I plug into the PC but it doesn't access the drive/display the files/folders, etc.

I've read that it's not possible to access the files without being connected to the computer that it came from. That computer no longer boots so that isn't an option, I don't think.

The fourth docking station I've purchased (Mokin M.2 NVMe & NGFF Enclosure) didn't work either but I have read that some people have been able to make it work. One suggestion was to get EaseUS Recovery. I downloaded the free version and it does appear to read the drive during scan for "Lost" files or folders. That's not really what I'm looking for but it does appear to be reading /scanning the drive which is more than I've been able to accomplish so far. The light blinks throughout the scan and it did identify a few lost folders.

I'm wondering if there is another method to try? I'm about to give up but this scanning software makes me think there's hope?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You cannot use a USB adapter (or docking station) to recover data from an Optane SSD unless the cache has been cleared. If the machine failed suddenly, this cache will NOT be clear. In this case, you need to install the drive in another PC/Laptop that both supports Optane SSDs and has Optane support enabled.

Just so you understand, the issue is that the USB adapter can only expose the SSD portion of the drive and cannot use the Optane cache data (the cache itself will appear as a raw SSD itself). If the cache has not been cleared, a portion of the SSD's file system and data files will be current in the cache and accessing the SSD portion without the cache being active (and this data available) will appear corrupted (and could easily be permanently corrupted further)
Hope this helps,
...S

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Psyclist,

Greetings for the day!

Hope you are doing well. Could you please share a snapshot of the defective part with the serial number visible? Additionally please let us know if this product was purchased separately or with the machine.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Psyclist,

Greetings for the day!

This is the first follow-up regarding the issue (Access to Files on NVME Optane Hard Drive) you reported to us.

We wanted to inquire whether you had the opportunity to review the plan of action (POA) we provided.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos