Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
435 Discussions

HardwareRaid for U.2 SSDs or tool for mailing-out which hardware is defective

mmeye3
Beginner

Hello Team,

I'm looking for a raid controller for nvme SSDs. Is it possible to build a RAID with the Megaraid 9440-8i and U.2 SSDs?

Alternatively I need a tool which gives me the possibility to send an email if one of the SSDs has bad SMART values.

With this tool I could also imagine the use of storage spaces.

Regards, Maddin243

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Maddin243,

According to the https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/BC00-0448EN specs of the MegaRAID 9440-8i, it can be possible to RAID the SSDs.

About the possibility of sending an email to report SMART details, that is something they could answer as a software feature, this because we are not familiar with it.

There is a good https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/MR-HBA-94xx-UG100_Broadcom_MR_HBA_Tri-Mode_Storage_Adapters_UG_03-27-2017%20(1).pdf guide here.

We will gather more information about this after making a research. From our side, there is no software or hardware RAID we can recommend.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
mmeye3
Beginner

Hi Nestor,

again a small info on the possible hardware. A RAID 1 is planned with two NVMe SSDs that could look like this: 2.5x SSD and RAID controller or 2x HHHL SSD and software Raid-1 . In the software solution, I see only the problem that I get the failure of the SSD not without further. Therefore I need for the software solution a tool which sends me an email in case of a defect. With the Intel SSD Datacenter tool, the monitoring would seem to go Manuel. Am I seeing this right?

Regards,

maddin243

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maddin243,

First of all, you did get it all correct. About the software for you to be notified, we would still like to check some additional information on third-party tools, since Intel does not provide any kind of tool for this purpose, we only have the Intel® Data Center Tool, but this tool does not work for that.

Please stand by, if we find some options, we will let you know.

Regards,

Nestor C

0 Kudos