Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Help with error "no screens found(EE)" using SSD Firmware Update Tool?

NV2
Beginner

Errors during boot.

• modprobe: module i915 not found in modules.dep
  • (EE) no screens found(EE)

While attempting to update firmware of Intel SSD 600p using Firmware Update Tool ISO 2.1.7 from:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26491?v=t https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26491?v=t

Followed instructions to create bootable USB drive from separate Windows computer.

USB drive appears to boot successfully.

Linux begins to load.

X Server fails to start.

Laptop details:

Dell Latitude E5470

Intel Skylake 6820HQ

Intel 530HD GPU

600p SSD in M.2 slot on PCIe

Screenshot of error:

Laptop details from BIOS:

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello NickV,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

We would like to let you know that we have received reports from different users having this similar error while attempting to update the firmware on their systems, only using the Firmware Update Tool.

This seems to be related to a compatibility situation between the Linux* Kernel, hardware or drivers, reason why we would like to ask if you could try to install the latest firmware using Intel® SSD Toolbox. For that you will need to either plug the SSD in a Windows* system as secondary or install Windows* in the SSD. Intel® SSD Toolbox is only available for Windows*, here is the link just in case: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26492/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Download Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox.

Please let us know if we can assist you further or if you have questions.

Regards.

0 Kudos
NV2
Beginner

nestor_intel I, too, noticed similar complaints about the standalone Firmware Update Tool as far back as June of 2016.

I installed the previous HDD using a SATA port.

The 600p remained in its M.2 slot as a PCIe device.

Booted to Windows 10, and ran the SSD Toolbox.

From the screenshot below, the error is:

Error: The firmware update process encountered an error (10/53). Reboot and try again...

I tried turning it off and then on, again. Tried the SSD Toolbox. Same error.

Ran Windows Updates. Rebooted. Tried the SSD Toolbox. Same error.

Ran the Intel Chipset updates. Rebooted. Tried the SSD Toolbox. Same error.

Verified I had the latest drivers, firmwares, and BIOS updates from Dell. Rebooted. Tried the SSD Toolbox. Same error.

There were no additional details in the Windows Event Log.

The 600p was identified by Windows in the Device Manager. No drive mapped since it only contains an EXT4 partition.

After the failure of the SSD Toolbox, I removed the SATA drive with Windows, and the 600p booted as normal to Fedora.

Does the error message indicate an obvious course of action to fix the problem?

Is there a way to inject updated display drivers into the initrd image of the Firmware Update Tool?

Is there a way to extract and execute the issdfut executable from the Firmware Update Tool under Fedora?

- I tried this and failed with errors at the console complaining about not finding "/dev/sd*".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NickV,

Could you please send us the Intel® SSD Toolbox logs? You can find them here: C:\Intel\Logs the files we need are: IntelSSDTDK.log & IntelSSDToolbox.log. Please attach those to the thread, when you click reply please use the advanced editor and then click attach to share the files.

We will be reviewing the case with our engineering team in order to properly address this situation.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
NV2
Beginner

intel_corp & nestor_intel I've attached the logs from the SSD Toolkit.

Also, I had turned the Windows User Account Control slider to minimal during the previous runs, but I did not explicitly run as Administrator. I ran the SSD Toolkit as Administrator just after copying these logs. There was no change in the error message.

I noticed in the logs that there was an error indicating trouble due to not having the Intel NVMe Drivers.

I've searched before, but did a search again; I could find no Windows 10 NVMe drivers that are specific to the 600p, no NVMe drivers specific to a Dell E5470, and no NVMe drivers on the Intel website for this storage controller. Perhaps my search criteria was incorrect?

What do you make of these logs?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NickV,

First of all, the SSD 600p uses native NVMe* drivers, that's why there are no downloads anywhere. Windows® 10 and Windows* 8.1 come with the drivers.

We will send all your information to our engineering team in order to better address this situation you are facing and we will keep you updated over here.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NickV,

We have tried to reproduce this on several Windows® 10 computers and we have had no issues so far.

-Could you please share a Windows® 10 log?

-Have you tried to run the firmware update in a desktop computer? Not in an OEM system?

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
NV2
Beginner

I have not tried to run the firmware on a desktop computer. This laptop is my only device that takes an M.2 drive.

I should have the logs from my Windows instance in the next day.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NickV,

Thanks for replying back. We will be waiting for the logs, remember to attach them here by clicking on "Use advanced editor" and then on attach.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
NV2
Beginner

There were no relevant Windows Event logs.

I cleared logs prior to running the SSD Toolbox and checked the logs afterward; however, there were no new Windows Event logs af SSD Toolbox attempted a firmware update.

I've attached the log from the SSD Toolbox from the single attempt at updating the firmware. Maybe it'll be a little easier to pinpoint a problem?

0 Kudos
JSzel
Beginner

I have the same problem. I'm using Lenovo ThinkPad T460p with Intel PRO 2500.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NickV,

We will be checking the log provided, an update will be sent shortly.

JoeNorge,

Could you please confirm what's the firmware version on your SSD? (You can check that using Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox)

Also, is this the SSD that came with the computer or did you purchase it separately?

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NickV,

We are still working on this situation; however, we would like you to please also export the *.csv file from Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox, all you need to do is open the program and click "Export" then it will save the file.

Once you have it, please attach it here.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
JSzel
Beginner

Hi here is my ssv (have the same problem)

Regards

Joesp9p

'Identyf.', 'Opis', 'Wart. bezwzgl.', 'Wart. znormal.', 'Próg', 'Czynność'05, Re-allocated Sector Count, 0, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.09, Power-On Hours Count, 956, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.0C, Power Cycle Count, 826, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.AA, Available Reserved Space, 0, 100, 10, Gotowy do użycia.AB, Program Fail Count, 0, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.AC, Erase Fail Count, 0, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.AD, Vendor Specific, 107, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia., Average erase cycles, 0, , , , Maximum erase cycles, 0, , , , Minimum erase cycles, 107, , , AE, Unexpected Power Loss Count, 47, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.B7, SATA Downshift Count, 1, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.B8, End-to-End Error Detection Count, 0, 100, 90, Gotowy do użycia.BB, Uncorrectable Error Count, 0, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.BE, Temperature, 77312688169, 41, 0, Gotowy do użycia., Current Temperature, 41 degree C, , , , Highest Temperature, 50 degree C, , , , Lowest Temperature, 18 degree C, , , C0, Unsafe Shutdown Count, 47, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.C2, Temperature - Device Internal, 77312688169, 41, 0, Gotowy do użycia.C7, CRC Error Count, 0, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.E1, Host Writes, 1956864.00 GB, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.E2, Timed Workload - Media Wear, 65535, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.E3, Timed Workload - Host Read/Write Ratio, 62, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.E4, Timed Workload Timer, 65535, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.E8, Available Reserved Space, 0, 98, 10, Gotowy do użycia.E9, Media Wearout Indicator, 0, 97, 0, Gotowy do użycia.F1, Total LBAs Written, 1956864.00 GB, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.F2, Total LBAs Read, 3261952.00 GB, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.F9, Total NAND Writes, 25289.00 GB, 100, 0, Gotowy do użycia.'Słowo', 'Opis', 'Wartość'0, General Configuration, 0040, Bit 15 - ATA Device Identifier, 0, Bit 14:8 - Retired, 00, Bit 7:6 - Obsolete, 1, Bit 5:3 - Retired, 0, Bit 2 - Response Incomplete, 0, Bit 1 - Retired, 0, Bit 0 - Reserved, 01, Obsolete, 3FFF2, Specific Configuration, C8373, Obsolete, 00104, Retired, 00005, Retired, 00006, Obsolete, 003F7-8, Reserved, 000000009, Retired, 000010-19, Serial Number, CVTR625401UC240CGN20-21, Reserved, 0000000022, Obsolete, 000023-26, Firmware Version, LUDi27-46, Model Number, INTEL SSDSC2BF240A5L47, READ/WRITE MULTIPLE Support, 8001, Bit 15:8 - Reserved, 80, Bit 7:0 - Maximum Sectors, 0148, Trusted Computing Feature Set Options, 4001, Bit 15 - Must be set to 0, 0, Bit 14 - Must be set to 1, 1, Bit 13:1 - Reserved, 0000, Bit 0 - Trusted Computing Feature Set Supported, 149, Capabilities, 2F00, Bit 15:14 - Reserved, 0, Bit 13 - Standby Timer Option, 1, Bit 12 - Reserved, 0, Bit 11 - IORDY Supported, 1, Bit 10 - IORDY May Be Disabled, 1, Bit 9 - LBA Supported, 1, Bit 8 - DMA Supported, 1, Bit 7:0 - Retired, 0050, Capabilities, 4000, Bit 15 - Must be set to 0, 0<tr...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi JoeNorge,

Thanks for the log. We will look into that and we will give you updates as soon as possible.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi JoeNorge,

Based on the logs you shared with us, the SSD you have is an OEM version. These type of SSDs have been altered by the laptop manufacturer (Lenovo* in your case), so for you to be able to update the firmware on it, you need to get in contact with them, as the Intel tools won't work on OEM drives but generic drives only.

That is the reason why our tools are not letting you update the firmware on it.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
NV2
Beginner

Here's the export from the SSD Toolbox.

I've also attached the export from the hardware leaf in Windows' System Information tool.

Have you come up with anything?

Perhaps an update to the standalone firmware updater iso is due for release?

Maybe a debug build of the SSD Toolbox with additional logging?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NickV,

We continue our investigation about this and we will keep you posted.

Thanks for the logs, we will review them and if we need anything else we'll let you know.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

NC

0 Kudos
JAnd
Beginner

I just want to let you know that I'm also waiting for a fix on this. I have for a long time experienced sudden power loss due to unknown hardware error (Windows Kernel Error id 41). All I know the problems started soon after I bought the Intel 520 SSD years ago. So I thought why not try to update the SSD firmware. I have many times tried to boot Intels update from USB but with no luck. I'm running on a 2009 AMD system with Gigabyte am2 motherboard (GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)). Below is the last thing I see, before I have to reboot computer.

The only reason I'm keeping this SSD for now is that you are working to fix this. If not, please let me know.

0 Kudos
OWu2
Beginner

Hi Intel support

I am experiencing the same issue as Harry321. I have 540s Series 480GB SSD and when I try to use firmware update tool 2.1.7 to update the drive (I have tried booting from both USB and CD), it shows the following screen on my laptop (Lenovo X250 with the latest BIOS firmware)

As you can see, there is a tiny cursor on the top left of the screen and the computer will stay there forever.

If I take the SSD drive to put onto desktop as a secondary drive and then run the firmware update tool, then it gives me that "waitting for X server shut down..." message. According to Intel website, 540s Series can only be update its firmware by the firmware tool (can not be done using the Solid State Drive Toolbox), so there is no way for me to update firmware on this drive at this moment.

Intel, Please fix this issue

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For everyone who are solving this problem, here is today´s advice from INTEL technical support:

The reason for this error is more likely that the issue is related to a combination: a chipset of your system motherboard and the FUT. Try to connect your SSD to a different system model and try to perform the SSD firmware update.

Doesn´t matter, that you'll have to dismantle computer, buy an adapter from M.2 to SATA or USB, it is certainly better way than editing software.

Another option would be, probably, buy another disk with a new FW, or directly a new computer.

How simple and friendly for the customer!

Congratulations!

0 Kudos