Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

Intel SSD Optimizer greyed out for 600P

l_
Beginner

Just installed the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox 3.4.0

The SSD installed is 600p 256GB.

On the Intel SSD Optimizer page It says 'in order to use Trim I'll need to install the latest firmware', and the buttons are all greyed out.

But when I go firmware update, it says 'the selected Intel SSD already has the latest firmware which is included in this version of Toolbox' and ask me to click check update for newer Intel SSD Toolbox. I am already running 3.4.0 which is supposed to be the latest version.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello lanceton,

We understand you're looking to run the Intel® SSD optimizer tool on your Intel® SSD 600p Series, but are running into a series of issues.

I've personally tested this drive in our lab, and can confirm that even thought the latest version of the SSD toolbox does support this model, not all features are available as of yet. You can expect this to be resolved in a future release.

While we do understand why you may want to manually optimize your SSD, this feature was equipped in the toolbox early on, since older operating systems did not always fully support solid state drives. However it has been made mostly unnecessary, since Windows* 7, as your operating system will automatically run these tasks for you.

You may find this article interesting:

- http://www.howtogeek.com/256859/dont-waste-time-optimizing-your-ssd-windows-knows-what-its-doing/ http://www.howtogeek.com/256859/dont-waste-time-optimizing-your-ssd-windows-knows-what-its-doing/

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel®.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TWats3
Beginner

Given the reply, we probably do not need to ever use this SSD optimization tool when using the Windows 10 OS. It is just interesting that the optimization tool says "Intel recommends running the Intel SSD Optimizer once a week". So the official response is the Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox text is incorrect for modern operating systems even though the toolbox was just updated on 10/31/16.

Maybe just open the Defragment and Optimize Drives desktop app and confirm the 600p SSD media type is properly detected as a solid state drive by Windows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lightyear299,

It's not so much incorrect, as it is slightly outdated (at least for most users).

However, there's still a surprising share of the market that refuses to upgrade to at least Windows* 7 SP1. That setting and recommendations are aimed at them, not the rest of us. The reason why the Optimizer option is still available is mostly due to customer requests, and will be phased out in the (hopefully, but not officially, near) future.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos