Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Solid State Drive Toolbox and now Memeory and Storage Stool both freeze upon load for my SSD 660p

uruiamme
Beginner

I have been using the online Intel® Driver & Support Assistant for a few months at least. I run Windows 10 Enterprise 1809. I get popup bubbles to visit the site and update software. I know the bluetooth and network drivers have successfully updated through that website link. I think I have been through the SSD Toolbox updates (looks like 3.5.12 and 3.5.13 dropped since this system was built.)

There weren't any issues that I could remember. I wish I could remember exactly what, if anything I had done with the Toolbox, but I don't recall. The most recent 3.5.14 update is the one that has failed.

After installing that, the details escape me, but when I ran the Toolbox, it worked up to the point of me trying to see some details about the drive health. It then simply froze and nothing else worked if I clicked away. I killed it, tried again, rebooted Windows, to no avail, same thing.

I was looking into a fix and wound up finding out the this software is EOL. I also noted that only the Enterprise version of Windows 10 is supported... which seems odd for software for a consumer SSD. But anyway, I was sent to download the Intel Memory and Storage Tool, which I installed a couple of times now. It always freezes on the splash screen. It won't go any farther and I just kill the process. IMAS_GUI (32-bit) is listed twice in Task Manager, both with 0% CPU usage and 0.1 MB memory.

Is there any kind of logging or debugging that would help isolate this issue? I have a 2nd 660p that was in this system awhile back, but I long ago put it in a 2nd computer where it is working fine. Both computers use the 660p as drive C:. The 2nd system can run Toolbox and see stats for the drive. Both are 1 TB versions.

I'd really like to get the updates installed on the drive. CVE issues are listed as fixed on the latest firmware, but I can't install them without a fix to this software glitch.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello uruiamme,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the logs you shared, the SSD is detected properly by the system.

To further assist you, we will like to know the following:

1- Did you performed the firmware update using the instructions we provided in our previous post? Based on the logs you shared, your firmware is not the latest.

2- We advise you to try to reinstall the drivers for your SSD by installing the Client NVMe* Microsoft Windows* Drivers for Intel® SSDs package (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29172/Client-NVMe-Microsoft-Windows-Drivers-for-Intel-SSDs?wapkw=660p).

After the firmware update and the driver package reinstallation, please try to access our tools one more time.

We look forward to your reply. Let us know the results.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello uruiamme,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with an error related to the firmware update of yourIntel® SSD 660p Series. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can provide us with the following information:

• The SSU logs.

1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ (for Windows*) and to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/ (for Linux) download the software.

2- When finished downloading it, open it.

3- Attach the file generated by the tool in your reply.

If after the firmware update you are still not able to access the tools in your Windows* system, we advise you to work with Microsoft* support one more time or to back-up your information and reinstall your OS.

Please let us know the results after the firmware update, and provide us with the SSU logs.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
uruiamme
Beginner

This is the system report. I noticed that there is a Dx report, too, if you needed that. Just out of curiosity, I looked around and noted that I must have installed the AMD RAIDXPert2 software, but I am not even sure that I have enabled RAID in the system BIOS Setup. In fact, that utility doesn't populate with any drives when I run it.

I can think of a few scenarios:

1. RAID is enabled, the SSD is on a RAID array through the system BIOS
  2. RAID is disabled, the SSD is on EHCI/AHCI, but the RAID software in Windows is loaded

I think it's #2

I attached a screen shot of the Intel SSD in Device manager sorted by "Devices by connection."

Intel660p.png

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello uruiamme,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the logs you shared, the SSD is detected properly by the system.

To further assist you, we will like to know the following:

1- Did you performed the firmware update using the instructions we provided in our previous post? Based on the logs you shared, your firmware is not the latest.

2- We advise you to try to reinstall the drivers for your SSD by installing the Client NVMe* Microsoft Windows* Drivers for Intel® SSDs package (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29172/Client-NVMe-Microsoft-Windows-Drivers-for-Intel-SSDs?wapkw=660p).

After the firmware update and the driver package reinstallation, please try to access our tools one more time.

We look forward to your reply. Let us know the results.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello uruiamme,

We were reviewing your community thread related to your Intel® SSD 660p Series, and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post and if you needed further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello uruiamme,

We were reviewing your community thread related to your Intel® SSD 660p Series, and we have not heard back from you in a while, so we will proceed to close this inquiry now.

If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos