Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

x4 PCIe based SSD will support in x1 PCIe hardware platfrom

PKann1
Beginner

Actually we are working in Access point design. In our current hardware platform supports only x1 PCIe 3.0 lane. So plan to use Intel optane 800P x4 PCIe based SSD. So we are in doubt will it work on our x1 PCIe Platform?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Kannan.tamil87,

Thank you for posting your question in the community.

A similar question was posted some time ago: , and the same answer applies for your question. It's possible to use a PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 drive in a PCIe NVMe 3.0 x2 or x1 interface but the performance will decrease since the interface bandwidth is reduced due to the lanes reduction.

However, our recommendation is to use the drive with the proper interface so that you can get the expected performance of the drive.

I want to clarify as well that the interface of the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series is PCIe NVMe 3.0 x2 and not x4 as you mentioned in your post. You can check this information in the following site: https://ark.intel.com/products/series/125310/Intel-Optane-SSD-800P-Series# @Intel-Optane-SSD-800P-Series Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series Product Specifications

I hope this information clarifies your doubt. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Kannan.tamil87,

Thank you for posting your question in the community.

A similar question was posted some time ago: , and the same answer applies for your question. It's possible to use a PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 drive in a PCIe NVMe 3.0 x2 or x1 interface but the performance will decrease since the interface bandwidth is reduced due to the lanes reduction.

However, our recommendation is to use the drive with the proper interface so that you can get the expected performance of the drive.

I want to clarify as well that the interface of the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series is PCIe NVMe 3.0 x2 and not x4 as you mentioned in your post. You can check this information in the following site: https://ark.intel.com/products/series/125310/Intel-Optane-SSD-800P-Series# @Intel-Optane-SSD-800P-Series Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series Product Specifications

I hope this information clarifies your doubt. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
PKann1
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your reply. Really it clarifies my doubt.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kannan.tamil87,

That's great!

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to open a new thread. We'll be more than happy to help you.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos