Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16618 Discussions

Cannot Create a Traffic Generator Connection with EMIF Toolkit

R_G
Beginner

Hi,

I am using Quartus Prime Pro 22.2.0 and the generated EMIF Example Design to troubleshoot a DDR4 memory issue with our custom Arria 10 board. I can successfully Create a Memory Interface Connection and run calibration tests which pass. Other tests outside of Quartus indicate that we are getting some verify errors from the memory though. I wanted to use the Traffic Generator function of the EMIF Toolkit to help troubleshoot this issue, but when I click on "Create Traffic Generator Connection", I get the following error:

"Unable to establish a connection because no driver_csr monitor targets exist on the linked device."

Another post indicates that I need to use Traffic Generator 2.0 to enable this function:

Solved: Re:Arria 10 EMIF Toolkit Traffic generation - Intel Community

Is that the solution? If so, how do I get/enable Traffic Generator 2.0?

Thanks,

Richard

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I think it's on the Diagnostics tab of the EMIF IP Parameter editor (old screenshot so it may look different now):

sstrell_0-1712269949660.png

0 Kudos
R_G
Beginner

Hi,

I checked and there are no Traffic Generator options for my EMIF IP:

R_G_0-1712324265303.png

There is a Traffic Generator that gets included with the example design, but it doesn't look like TG 2.0 and I can't configure anything about it:

R_G_1-1712324497891.png

I tried looking for TG 2.0 with the IP search tool, but nothing came up from the search. Is there some other way to get TG 2.0?

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos
zhenruan
Employee

Hi Richard,

The Arria 10 EMIF IP doesn't support the TG2 feature, this feature is only available for Stratix 10 and Agilex device. For Arria 10 device customer can just use the default Traffic Generator, that is not the one displayed in the GUI of the External Memory Interface Toolkit. If customer needs to do the traffic stress test they need to develop it themselves. 

You mentioned you got some verify errors from the memory. What did the error mean? We can work together to debug this issue with the default TG. Thanks,

Regards,

Aaron 

0 Kudos
R_G
Beginner

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I would appreciate any help you can provide with troubleshooting the memory issue. I am trying to load Uboot through the JTAG port using the Arm Development Debugger. I have attached the debugger log which shows the "verify error" we get along with the debugger script which is used to load Uboot. At the moment, this is the only infromation I have regarding the memory error. I am in the process of getting detailed debug from the SPL/Uboot boot log from the serial COM port, but we are having issues with the COM port at the moment. If you have any other suggestions of how to use the default traffic generator to help solve this problem, please let me know.

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
zhenruan
Employee

Hi Richard,

Please check the ddr4 interface with EMIF toolkit. If the interface has no issue on the calibration and the window margin is big enough. Please file a new post for the Uboot issue. A SoC expert will work with you on that. Thanks,

Regards,

Aaron 

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

I wanted to check if you have any further questions or concerns. If not, I will go ahead and mark this issue as resolved.

Additionally, we would greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment to fill out our survey. Your feedback is valuable to us and helps us improve our support quality.

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Best regards,
WZ

0 Kudos