Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16727 Discussions

Differential CLK input handle

kikoss
New Contributor I

Hello 

I have a a differential clk come in to FPGA agilex7 F series 

Want to use it as a single clk to the design 

Iam using quartus 24 .1 pro

Which good practice is recommended ?  

i see on a design a use of ALTDDIO_IN primitive . is this recomended  ? is it still relevant for quartus 24 ? 

Thx

Kikoss

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
yes. Same procedure for other differential in- and outputs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

May I know what did you need to use a single ended clock in your design instead of differential clock?

0 Kudos
kikoss
New Contributor I

Hi 

To be clearer , what i meant, is that i have a differential clk that comes into the fpga , from an adc converter 

I want to use this clock for the ALT_LVDS ip , and this IP is able to receive only single ended clk  as we see here

kikoss_0-1717059566451.png

How to handle that in quartus ? 

Thx

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
input and output ports of design modules and top level interface always appear as single ended signal, except for rarely used special differential IO low-level primitives. You make the port a differential in- or output by assigning a differential IO standard (e.g. LVDS) in pin planner or assignment editor to it.
0 Kudos
kikoss
New Contributor I

Yes but suppose ,  I have on TOP level , clkin_p , clkin_n  , and suppose i assign them to external pins 

What to connect to inclock  port of the adc contoller ? 

kikoss_0-1717063468706.png

Thx 

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Why are you using separate clkin_p and clkin_n pins in the port definition? The usual way is to have a single ended logical port and assign a differential pin pair. You can use an ALT_INBUF_DIFF low level primitive to do the translation but it has no benefit for standard differential inputs.

0 Kudos
kikoss
New Contributor I

i will explain why using separate ports

i have an ADC convertere that send data to the FPGA 

it interface from the ADC to the FPGA is . clk , and data as on the image

kikoss_0-1717134666372.png

As you see the DCO CLK that go the FPGA is a differential pair .

So how to handle this differential pair on FPGA ? The ALT_INBUF_DIFF primitive is supported only for Stratix® III and Cyclone® III devices . and Iam not using those devices 

THX

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,
I know how an ADC LDVS interface looks like, I'm working with it since 15 years or so. Here's an example how I configure clock and data interface for AD9222, in this case I'm using FCO rather than DCO and a PLL to generate bit clock.

top entity port definition

ADC_CLK     : OUT STD_LOGIC;
   ADC_FCO    :  IN STD_LOGIC;
   ADC_LVD     : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(1 TO 8);

assigned IO standards
  set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD LVDS -to ADC_LVD*
  set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD LVDS -to ADC_FCO
  set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD LVDS -to ADC_LCLK

If you review Intel documents, you'll realize that this is the suggested way to implement differential in- and outputs.

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Forgot to mention that single-ended port signal is assigned to positive pin of the differential pair, corresponding negative pin is assigned by fitter automatically.
0 Kudos
kikoss
New Contributor I

Hello 

OK if i understand you correctly

• you declare 1 port CLK on top level  RTL module - let say FCO_CLK  (even if its differential from the ADC)
  • use this port on the RTL , for PLL input etc.. 
  • assign FCO_CLK   only to  P leg on assignment editor (and not assigning at all N leg) 
  • let the fitter do the job for N leg

Thats rigth ? 

THX 

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
yes. Same procedure for other differential in- and outputs.
0 Kudos
kikoss
New Contributor I

Yes , in the example i provide , I agree that this procedure should be applied to the FCO CLK  or for the DCO CLK's that are connected to the inclock port (see figure)

kikoss_0-1717313680366.png

But , for the rx_in_p and rx_in_n,  the ALT LVDS ip called adc_controller (in the figure above) handle differential P and N legs ... so I understand that we must declare P and N as well on the RTL as separate ports . rigth ? 

THX

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I wish to follow up with you. Did your issue is resolved after following the suggestion by @FvM?

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
kikoss
New Contributor I

Hello Yes its ok 

THX

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for your confirmation. I’m glad that the issue has been addressed. If you have a new question and new more support, feel free to log in to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you.

0 Kudos